• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

750w gold < $120

mkrohn

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
2,345
After having a couple POS Thermaltakes die on me (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153170) I'm looking around for some higher quality units. What I'm doing is mining. i'd rather go multi PSU than go up to the 1kw+ single PSU units because it is more cost effective. The rest of the systems are very barebones and not stressed. GPU power is actually all that matters.

I do have a few EVGA's: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV...UTF8&qid=1388323606&sr=8-2&keywords=evga+750w I don't have any complaints about

My rigs are currently 2 GPU's at a time. If the higher end cards dont come down in price soon my next round of expansion will be R9 270 based.

Instead of reading nonstop for months trying to sort this out I know YOU guys already know a ton about PSU's.

With the lower end cards a 750w can power two easily and if I go with a 4 card rig I'd go 2x750w. Should I look at 2x650w at all? I'll have to get some updated pictures up but here's the rack: https://app.box.com/s/kslalufsu1rdxhxi2cup I have room for 2 PSU's easily and I have plenty of airflow. My next revision is going to have to do some GPU hanging for sure.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
After having a couple POS Thermaltakes die on me (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153170) I'm looking around for some higher quality units. What I'm doing is mining. i'd rather go multi PSU than go up to the 1kw+ single PSU units because it is more cost effective. The rest of the systems are very barebones and not stressed. GPU power is actually all that matters.

I do have a few EVGA's: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV...UTF8&qid=1388323606&sr=8-2&keywords=evga+750w I don't have any complaints about

My rigs are currently 2 GPU's at a time. If the higher end cards dont come down in price soon my next round of expansion will be R9 270 based.

Instead of reading nonstop for months trying to sort this out I know YOU guys already know a ton about PSU's.

With the lower end cards a 750w can power two easily and if I go with a 4 card rig I'd go 2x750w. Should I look at 2x650w at all? I'll have to get some updated pictures up but here's the rack: https://app.box.com/s/kslalufsu1rdxhxi2cup I have room for 2 PSU's easily and I have plenty of airflow. My next revision is going to have to do some GPU hanging for sure.

You may want to support those GPU's. I have seen them literally break off PCI-E slots.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You may want to support those GPU's. I have seen them literally break off PCI-E slots.

yeah I'm working on it. I just haven't had a chance to yet. I think for now I'm just gonna use some small wood pieces to |----| and just screw the cards into the ----- part. I just haven't had a chance to go do it. I don't have a saw so I have to go to the inlaws.

I'm going to be using some risers on some of the hotter systems so I have support them in varying ways.
 
Power requirements vary greatly between different video cards. With that being said, 750W is plenty for nearly ALL dual GPU rigs. In fact, most don't even use more than 500W at the wall.

With that being said, what two GPUs are you wanting to power and in what rig?
 
Power requirements vary greatly between different video cards. With that being said, 750W is plenty for nearly ALL dual GPU rigs. In fact, most don't even use more than 500W at the wall.

With that being said, what two GPUs are you wanting to power and in what rig?

The new builds are likely going to be 270x based. I do have a 3* 280x system that is steadily 1kw at the wall. I have a few 7870's, quite a few 6950's. I'm planning on buying 290's as soon as they popup for MSRP also.

I'm just looking for a good PSU that I can have handle the 2 GPU systems or on some just use 2 PSU's in a 4-5GPU system.

The biggest problem is these will be running 24/7 at FULL load so i don't want to have the PSU running full power 24/7 because it loses the efficiency. Although its most likely around $3/mnth loss on each system
 
Back
Top