75 hz + Dell 2005FPW = big difference

ozziegn said:
I cant seem to get this to work w/ my Dell 2405 and my 7800 GTX. my screen goes blank as soon as I set it to 75hz.

whats up w/ that?

The max pixel clock rate of the 2405 is 159 MHz, running the native res would try to push past this limit.

The formula for this is:
pixel clock = Horizontal Res X Vertical Res X Refresh X (1+blanking interval (expressed as decimal))

So for 1920x1200 at 75 Hz it would require:

1920x1200x75x1.05= 181,440,000 or ~181 MHz

I decided to try this with my 2405fpw since I've got a dual link cable hooked up, just on the off chance it might work, figuring I can just change it back if it doesn't, right?

Wrong. Advanced Timing is stuck at 75.000. Every time I change it to 60.000, and hit apply, it will make the monitor go to 60.000 for that apply, but if I hit that I want to keep the settings, it changes it back to 75. If I change any resolution at all, then go back to 1920x1200, it's back at 75 and can't be displayed. I fucking hate nvidia sometimes, the stupid little god damned things like this that shouldn't be happening but are.

Does anyone know a way to fix it so that the fucking nVidia display doesn't auto reset advanced timings to 75 every fucking time I hit OK after setting it to something other than 75?

mpeg4v3 said:
...Does anyone know a way to fix it so that the fucking nVidia display doesn't auto reset advanced timings to 75 every fucking time I hit OK after setting it to something other than 75?

Using your original nvidia cd, select the option to completely remove all nvidia video drivers. Reboot after all the nvidia drivers are removed. Windows will detect new hardware (VGA, etc). Then you can either let Windows find new drivers for your card via the web or re-install the nvidia drivers that came on your cd with your card. Then upgrade to newer nvidia drivers if you want.

I jumped on the 75hz bandwagon and have yet to notice a difference. For those wondering why refresh rate means less for lcds than crts: lcds are mostly limited by pixel response times. Since the pixels switch slower than the refresh rate, you won't notice much of a difference between 60 and 75.

Think of a VERY slow pixel response time lcd with a 1s response time. It would take one second for a pixel to change color. Now it wouldn't matter how fast the refresh rate changes since your slow ass pixels need 1 minute to change, and refresh rate wouldn't do anything. It's a similar situation with the 2005, but it may help a little depending on timing and what not.

So I have no clue if 75hz does anything at all, but it's better to cover the bases than not.

75 hz makes a very noticeable difference for me when I'm gaming. At 60 hz the mouse is sluggish but when I bump the monitor up to 75 hz I can tell the difference right away. It's not a placebo effect either. Also, I get a lot less tearing at 75 hz with vsync disabled than I do at 60 hz.

wow, thank you op! tweak of the year!

i don't even have a 2005, but i do have a hyundai L90D+. normally it limits you to 60hz in dvi and 75hz in vga when at the native res of 1280x1024. i settled for vga because 75hz is significantly better for me in the games i play (counter-strike source, day of defeat source), with better response and less tearing. now i can play at 75hz with dvi! so so good..

as a matter of fact, this is probably a coincidence but i had one of my best games ever in dod right after i did this tweak (went 119 and 31 with 55 flag caps in anzio :D )

I have a 2005FPW . . . I thought going over 60Hz on a LCD = Harmful . . . anyone want to clarify?

Borgschulze said:
I run 60hz.

No, I don't get headaches.
HA noob
i run at 5 hz
yes, i do get very bad headaches after like 2 minutes

I just used this program on my Gateway widescreen and I really must say it's made games look even smoother and they looked damn good before.

I dont notice any difference in BF2...

How do i know if BF2 is running at 1650x1050 @75Hz?
How do i know my moniter is running at 75Hz (when i press THE button on my moniter, it says 60Hz but in control panel it says 75Hz)
How how hwo howwww

When i'm in BF2 and press the OSD button on the 2005 it says 75Hz, thats what I am going by

Uh... thats not enough for me.

When i do the same thing, I see 75Hz but i see NO performance increase at all while playing BF2. That was a waste of time

Do you have v-sync enabled? if its off you won't see increased performance. (there should be less tearing though)

I remember when i tried BF2 with a Viewsonic VX924 i started with 60hz (v-sync on) and it was very sluggish, but after changing to 75hz it got MUCH smoother. Theres no question it makes a difference, if you don't see it you either have bad eyesight or a slow computer.

What's all this talk of running your monitor at a higher Hz rating? or is everyone here hooked up via a normal analog cable? Just so you know the Hz rataing is useless on an LCD for the reason of why most people bought an LCD in the first place, LCD's do not refresh, they merely update as needed in a max speed measured in ms, which is completey different than a Hz refresh rating.

If it was completely different they wouldn't even use a hz rating for LCD's, yes they do update the screen differently than a CRT but that only results in no flickering, the other aspects remain the same. I'll break it down for you.

gaming with v-sync on:

higher refresh = higher framerate = smoother gameplay.

gaming with v-sync off:

higher refresh = less screen tearing = better looking game.

Deetox said:
If it was completely different they wouldn't even use a hz rating for LCD's, yes they do update the screen differently than a CRT but that only results in no flickering, the other aspects remain the same. I'll break it down for you.

gaming with v-sync on:

higher refresh = higher framerate = smoother gameplay.

gaming with v-sync off:

higher refresh = less screen tearing = better looking game.

Isn't it the other way around? :confused:

No it isn't, for example going from 60hz to 75hz with v-sync on will cap your framerate at 75 instead of 60, that extra 15fps of headroom is the reason people are saying 75hz is smoother. Of course v-sync off gives the most performance but upping the refresh will not make it faster since you're already running at your max framerate.

Back