720p or 1080p projector for large screens 92 + inches?

switchg3ar

Limp Gawd
hello, I am looking for a projector. Specifically the panasonic ae100u 720p projector and I was wondering what everyone’s opinion is about 720p and 1080p. I was thinking of having a 92 inch screen because I already have the screen and an old NEC CRT 7 inch gun projector (1027x768). The 1080p projectors are double the price and I think it is too expensive. Does anyone else really think it is worth it? Another issue is dead pixels; on a 92 inch screen it must be huge. Any experience from anyone? I am also worried about the screen door effect I don't sit more then 8 feet away from my screen. From what I have heard the ae100u has some special pixel blending to remove the screen door look.

I own a 720P PJ @ 101" right now. Link. I've been looking heavily into a 1080P PJ and as you mentioned cannot justify the cost.

As for your knowledge....it appears to be a bit dated. The AE100U is eons old. The screen door effect is a drop of what it used to be. Have you checked out AVSforums yet? They havea nice section there of sub $3k PJ's which has a ton of detail. You'll probably lose a week of your life, but the knowledged gained is priceless. BTW, the AE900 is coming out soon as is the Z5 (I think that one might be out).

As for is it worth it. Depends. If you have a light controlled room where you watch a ton of movies...then hell yes. If you have lack of light control or play a ton of games, then no. In that case... a nice LCD/DLP TV would be better.

I own a 720P PJ @ 101" right now. Link. I've been looking heavily into a 1080P PJ and as you mentioned cannot justify the cost.

As for your knowledge....it appears to be a bit dated. The AE100U is eons old. The screen door effect is a drop of what it used to be. Have you checked out AVSforums yet? They havea nice section there of sub $3k PJ's which has a ton of detail. You'll probably lose a week of your life, but the knowledged gained is priceless. BTW, the AE900 is coming out soon as is the Z5 (I think that one might be out).

As for is it worth it. Depends. If you have a light controlled room where you watch a ton of movies...then hell yes. If you have lack of light control or play a ton of games, then no. In that case... a nice LCD/DLP TV would be better.

The AE900 was 2005 model and ae100u is the newer model around September 2006 when it first appeared. I know there was an older ae100 model with 854x484 which I think is the one you are thinking about.

The AE900 was 2005 model and ae100u is the newer model around September 2006 when it first appeared. I know there was an older ae100 model with 854x484 which I think is the one you are thinking about.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure why Panasonic decided to use a model number that's almost identical to one from a very old projector.

As for 720p looking ok up close, I think it's just fine. Sure, I'd love 1080p, but I have to get about 5 feet away from my ~96" screen to really see the pixels on my Z4. I'd say my front row of seats is ~12 feet from the screen, and it looks great. Just watched some Planet Earth in HD from the front row yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. Conventional wisdom says that 1.5x the screen width (across, not diagonal) is the closest you want to be to the screen, so in your case that would be ~10ft. However that's a pretty old recommendation, and most newer projectors have much less screendoor than projectors from a few years ago.

All of the Panasonic projectors above the AE900 have SmoothScreen, which should reduce the screendoor affect even more. Based on how good my Z4 looks, the screendoor on the Panasonics must be almost unnoticable. Here's a review of the AX100U, where they mention that pixelation is almost completely gone, even at very close distances:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ax100.htm

If I were to get another projector right now, it would probably be the AX100U.

Here's a pic that kinda shows how close my front row is for comparison to your setup:

Well color me st00pid. I never realized that. It would be like calling a Core2Duo a P3. :confused:

I'm using a 720P projector right now and its great. I've put the image at around 100 inches and it looks fantastic, even with computer use. Yeah, the desktop space is a little tight but its no worse then a small laptop. It looks surprisingly good with Vista and OSX and about the dead pixel comment - thats limited to LCD. You won't have that problem with a projector (assuming you buy a more traditional DLP projector)

I'm using a 720P projector right now and its great. I've put the image at around 100 inches and it looks fantastic, even with computer use. Yeah, the desktop space is a little tight but its no worse then a small laptop. It looks surprisingly good with Vista and OSX and about the dead pixel comment - thats limited to LCD. You won't have that problem with a projector (assuming you buy a more traditional DLP projector)

How is DLP more traditional? Projecters were CRT first, LCD 2nd, and DLP 3rd.

Also...DLP can have stuck pixel's as well. Sometime those mirrors break (i've seen many). The only way to not get a stuck pixel is CRT.

Careful with the FUD please.

How is DLP more traditional? Projecters were CRT first, LCD 2nd, and DLP 3rd.

Also...DLP can have stuck pixel's as well. Sometime those mirrors break (i've seen many). The only way to not get a stuck pixel is CRT.

Careful with the FUD please.

Why don't you go to your local home theater store (Magnolia, etc) and see how many LCD projectors they have versus the number of DLP projectors they have?

In fact, I just went on circuit city's website and looked in the projector section. Under home theater, they stock 13 DLP and... 4 LCD Projectors. And only one of those was under $1000.

And no, if a mirror breaks in a DLP you're not getting a dead pixel. Thats the wrong terminology, its merely a stuck/broken mirror.

Careful with the bogus know-it-all attitude.

My dad and I looked at /decided on the JVC RS-1 1080p projector for his theater that he's finally building in the basement now (Ground -up, unfinished). D-ILA based, and from what I've read of reviews, RS-1 comes in nicely as the best under-10k 1080p model without getting astronomically high prices.

The Epson 1080p LCD based projector is the best bang for buck model, its around 3000USD I believe.

My dad and I looked at /decided on the JVC RS-1 1080p projector for his theater that he's finally building in the basement now (Ground -up, unfinished). D-ILA based, and from what I've read of reviews, RS-1 comes in nicely as the best under-10k 1080p model without getting astronomically high prices.

The Epson 1080p LCD based projector is the best bang for buck model, its around 3000USD I believe.

Good choice on the JVC. That should be a nice finished project.

Why don't you go to your local home theater store (Magnolia, etc) and see how many LCD projectors they have versus the number of DLP projectors they have?

In fact, I just went on circuit city's website and looked in the projector section. Under home theater, they stock 13 DLP and... 4 LCD Projectors. And only one of those was under $1000.

And no, if a mirror breaks in a DLP you're not getting a dead pixel. Thats the wrong terminology, its merely a stuck/broken mirror.

Careful with the bogus know-it-all attitude.

I, personally, would never buy a PJ from a Home Theatre store...especially "Magnolia". They don't sell the best technology...they sell the highest markup item that is still reasonable. But again, your use of traditional is wrong. Look it up...please. Even the synonyms of conventional, customary, established would still not be completely accurate. Food for thought...when somebody says they used a traditional baseball bat...do you think they are talking about an aluminum one?

As for the mirror, it is the same thing... a stuck pixel. Dead pixel, stuck pixel...effectively the same thing as it is not working. Therefore DLP technology is not immune from the real factor the OP was concerned about. Part of these threads is being able to figure out what the orginal poster is really asking about. The only difference between a stuck pixel/mirror is that in and LCD it can be a color other than a shade of grey/white. The fault is still effectively the same.

If I had my choice I would love to have a CRT but I really don't want to have huge heat generating monster on my ceiling. Therefore with what is reasonable and available, I still to this day prefer LCD over DLP. Even with modern wheels I still get a twinge in the back of my eyeballs almost immediately due to the pulsing effect. I also prefer the color saturation of LCD over DLP. It is part of the many factors when it comes down to chosing which type of PJ is best for you. If three panel DLP's ever came down to a reasonable price then I would definately make the switch...but until then, no dice.

NOTE: I find it humorous that you know the exactly which projectors Magnolia stocks.

No screen door effect on the panny AX100 and it's bright enough that ambient light doesn't matter that much. It'll easily do 92"-100"...

That Epson is gaining quite a bit of steam. It is a really nice PJ for the money. When the digital part of my DVI port failed on my Z2 I almost pulled the trigger on it. Until then i'm holding out until I actually build my new HTPC with HD DVD & Blu-Ray. Then I will have no choice... :D

But the D-ILA techonology is making good ground as well. I find that it is a great combination of everything that is good about LCD and DLP. I'm just glad that JVC took LCOS and ran with it rather than letting it die.

Yep, I'll try to put up a worklog or similar of the theater as it gets built; we decided on in-wall speakers (still kinda skeptic about these), but man, do the Triads sound good for being in-wall suckers. That RS-1 is simply awesome though, I just wish it had one cable running from projector -> to a box for the AV rack, but we're just using the receiver to switch them all now.

back on topic now, sorry ;_;

This is the projector I have now and picture were taken a few years ago.

http!://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/3074/2442802820096437599S600x600Q85.jpg

http!://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/4023/2989087020096437599S600x600Q85.jpg

God I love CRT contrast and black levels. Even the level of detail is extremely sharp.

, personally, would never buy a PJ from a Home Theatre store...especially "Magnolia". They don't sell the best technology...they sell the highest markup item that is still reasonable. But again, your use of traditional is wrong. Look it up...please. Even the synonyms of conventional, customary, established would still not be completely accurate. Food for thought...when somebody says they used a traditional baseball bat...do you think they are talking about an aluminum one?
No, they are talking about a wood bat. Apparently you've never played baseball, but I have and I've been using a wood bat since the Little League days. I may have misused traditional but don't be an asshole. You know what I mean and you know I'm right.
As for the mirror, it is the same thing... a stuck pixel. Dead pixel, stuck pixel...effectively the same thing as it is not working. Therefore DLP technology is not immune from the real factor the OP was concerned about. Part of these threads is being able to figure out what the orginal poster is really asking about. The only difference between a stuck pixel/mirror is that in and LCD it can be a color other than a shade of grey/white. The fault is still effectively the same.
Fair enough. That was my wrong to nitpick.
If I had my choice I would love to have a CRT but I really don't want to have huge heat generating monster on my ceiling. Therefore with what is reasonable and available, I still to this day prefer LCD over DLP. Even with modern wheels I still get a twinge in the back of my eyeballs almost immediately due to the pulsing effect. I also prefer the color saturation of LCD over DLP. It is part of the many factors when it comes down to chosing which type of PJ is best for you. If three panel DLP's ever came down to a reasonable price then I would definately make the switch...but until then, no dice.
Personal preference is fine, but get all smart on me.
NOTE: I find it humorous that you know the exactly which projectors Magnolia stocks.
I don't. I looked it up online so I wouldn't look like an idiot (you)

LCD And DLP but no love for LCOS/SRXD/D-ILA??

just to add to this mess ;)

720p 1080p. The price points are still significant. Unless you have a significant size screen, 720p is not an issue (unless you are a stickler).

btw I love LCOS/SRXD/D-ILA

As a second projector just for gaming it's hard for me to dish $3000 plus. I want something where I know a static image is not going to kill it.

As a second projector just for gaming it's hard for me to dish $3000 plus. I want something where I know a static image is not going to kill it.

For a CRT, how hot the LCDs get will affect any image persistence.
some CRTs are not so prone to image persistence, some are.

If this is a problem, feeding it cooler air should sort the problem out.
ie dont place it too close to the ceiling, use a pipe/conduit to feed cooler air to it, keep it away from heat sources.

Image persistence is temporary, will fade away if displaying another image and isnt damaging.
A persistent image can be made to fade away faster by displaying a white screen for a while.

My projector has a faint start bar already :p and I have heard of LCD image persistence. A friend of mine did work on lcd kiosk and the biggest problem they had was image persistence.

My projector has a faint start bar already :p and I have heard of LCD image persistence. A friend of mine did work on lcd kiosk and the biggest problem they had was image persistence.

Two questions.

1. How many hour a day was the kiosk running?

2. When was the last time your replaced your CRT tubes? I wouldn't be suprised if the glass is etching if you are getting a bar.

Two questions.

1. How many hour a day was the kiosk running?

2. When was the last time your replaced your CRT tubes? I wouldn't be suprised if the glass is etching if you are getting a bar.

I think they were left running 24/7. He did tell me they would do tests by leaving them running 24/7 with 50% load in 100 degree room for days at a time. My personal experience I have installed a camera system for a business and they used a LCD monitor for viewing the cameras. After a few weeks I came back and changed the image and I could see all the stuck pixels.

I bought the projector used and it came with a faint start bar. It's no big deal because the movies I watch are all wide screen and the projector is 4:3. I personally have never changed the guns but I heard they where about 700-800 dollars a gun with labor.

Back