7200.12 already dying

outspoken

Limp Gawd
just bought two 500gb seagates (7200.12 ST3500418AS), put them in in raid0 using nforce on my asus m3n78-em without a problem. they were quiet, things were going well. this morning, clicking. loud, annoying clicking. windows started getting sluggish. rma requested at newegg, will be going with two 640gb wd black drives instead.

at the time i thought even though everyone is complaining about the seagates i'd give them a shot at the price. since they were new with a single platter i figured it was worth a shot... wrong.

just for reference, this is the best hdtach i got with these drives:

95107688.png

but i was also able to get this one when it was acting up:

72128145.png

Wow, quite strong even in death. :D
Serious though... to bad about it dying, But I don't think that is all that unusual or even a reason to hold it against Seagate.
You should allways hard test your HDDs for a few days if you can to rule out any duds.
More than a few long HDtach, HDtune and Seatools or WDdiag long tests or even filling the drive up a few times and doing a full format.

I don't say I do all that, but I might in my next raid5 adventure with 2TB drives, cause I had 2 of my 1TB WD RE2 drives crap out on me while still testing out stripes and stuff... before I put my data on them, thankfully

Did you run SeaTools Long test on the drives yet, individually? Break the RAID set and see what gives with each drive... it can't hurt.

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Vol.png

HDTune_Read_Benchmark_ST3500410AS.png

Not sure what is up with your RAID setup but the first bench above is my (2) 7200.12 500GB drives. Granted that's short-stroked but still. I haven't heard good things about NVRAID. Maybe that's why you're speeds aren't up to par. A single 7200.12 can almost do 140MB/s by itself.

These drives would just rock if they didn't suck... I had 2xDOA out of 3 that I ordered - RMA'ed all 3.

mine was standard newegg bubble wrap + crappy paper filling (seeing this more and more with etailers [amazon, zzf, etc...]). The two DOA drives I got would spin up but couldn't be recognized by the PC (failed in intel matrix raid, and windows as an individual drive). I can't prove that it was factory problem, but there have been enough troubles with the 7200.11 and 7200.12 drives that I will not be buying anymore. I do still love my various 7200.10 drives though.

I'll have to see how my pair of 500gb 7200.12 drives do when they come tomorrow from directcanada.com
They are supposed to be the ST3500418AS revision.

What was the Newegg packaging like...

I just received a hard drive today from Newegg that was just thrown in a large box with other components. Absolutely no padding, bubble wrap, paper, or anything. Everything just bounced around in a big box all the way from Tennessee to Texas. The stuff wasn't even tight in the box. The hard drive seems to work fine but I'm still considering sending everything back.

My WD 640gb Caviar Black I ordered from Newegg a few months ago came wrapped in a ludicrous amount of bubble wrap and a box filled to the brim with peanuts. Probably the best packaging I've ever seen.

I really do not like the TN warehouse. They are by far the worst shippers.

Awww, cut 'em some slack!

Gotta be hard to not only have to work alongside your sister, but you're married to her, too!

So I got my two 500gb 7200.12 drives in and set them up on my new EP45-UD3R ICH10R.
I am running 100gb Raid-0 with them and the leftover is in 451gb Raid-1.

So far they are cool, quiet and fast.
CC34 is the firmware number if anybody cares to know.

You know what they say in TN about their two-yr-old sister?

"If they are on their knees they are in the right position"

FTFY. Maybe...could also say "if there is no grass on the field then play in the mud....

I am a sick sick fucker.

I've read some benchmarks on those 7200.12 and they were not impressive at all considering 500GB Platters. 640WD drives still seem to be the best performance for dollar you can get.

Back