72/75 hz question

saito1234

Weaksauce
I have a Dell P2314H, and if I set it to 72 hz (via DisplayPort) the screen sometimes goes black for a sec, is this normal? It happens rarely... like one time within a few hours, but I wonder if there is any way to fix this?

Also what advantages does 72 hz exactly have? I know it's better to watch movies, that's what I like about it, but for example while browsing the net/etc, should be any difference between 60 and 72/75 hz? Is it easier on the eyes or anything like that? I think I didn't notice much difference yet.

The display is 60Hz at 1080p by the sounds of it.
Any higher refresh at 1080p is essentially overclocking.
How high you can go may be down to luck.

A higher refresh rate lets you have more frames per second on screen.
But beware that some screens will still put 60 frames to the screen even when fed with higher, this looks slightly jerky.

72Hz is only better for 24fps movies because each frame of the movie is exactly 3 screen refreshes.
You could just as easily set the screen to use 24Hz and get the same result.

30fps movies are better suited to a 60Hz or 30Hz screen for the same reason.

The higher the refresh rate, the smoother the mouse will move when using windows.
And for gaming, the more frames you can get on screen per second the smoother it looks if the screen allows all of the frames to be displayed and your gfx card can output that many fps.

In CRT days, a refresh rate higher than 60Hz was desirable because each screen refresh was like a very fast off/on flash.
LCD displays are on all the time, there is no flashing.
So there is no health benefit going higher than 60Hz.

Yes, it's overclocked to 72 hz, it works fine most of the time, I'm not sure why the screen goes black for a sec, sometimes.

I wondered if there's any effect of the refresh rate about the 6+2 bit FRC dithering, or anything like that, which would make it better on the eyes, but if there isn't anything I'll just use 60 hz instead :)

for games overclock monitor as much as possible because it lowers input lag (especially with v-sync on) and eventually reduce tearing if you play with v-sync off, and obviously it allow for better motion clarity

as for A-FCR it in theory should work less noisy cause of higher refresh rate but saying it would be 'better on eyes' would be little exaggeration

have you tried DVI? or different timings?

I've tried some timings that I found on the net, one for P2414H(which should also work with 80Hz in theory), and one for U2312HM (for 72Hz, currently I'm using the this one).

I didn't try on DVI yet, only with DP, and for 99% of the time it works fine, but I can see the black screen for 1 sec once a day or so...

I'm using CRU with the following settings:
Horizontal -- Vertical
Front porch: 32 pixels -- 9 lines
Sync width: 40 pixels -- 16 lines
Back porch: 40 pixels -- 17 lines
Refresh rate: 72.000 Hz

Blacking out isn't normal.
You could try changing the timings and lowering the refresh rate to 71.928hz (the right refresh rate for movies).

Higher refresh rates are easier on the eye/brain but 60 and 72 isn't a huge difference.

Do you have any suggestion what should I try changing in the timings? This is the first time I have a Dell monitor, and I never experimented with the timings before.

try CVT reduced (LCD reduced in CRU) at 71.928Hz
you can basically change all numbers
your pixel clock limit is 166.7MHz so you can try LCD standard and reduce some numbers very slightly to go to eg. 165MHz

Thanks, I've changed it to 71.928Hz
This way the clock is at 163.99MHz, that should be good in theory?

No black screen so far, however it's hard to say, as it's a rare thing to see (thankfully).

I have this monitor and it ran fine at 75HZ for many months with a GTX 680 using NVIDIAS custom refresh rate tool. Now i upgraded to a AM R9 290 and I tried using the CRU app to set the resolution to 1920x1080 @ 75hz but now the monitor won't run that setting. I'm wondering what custom settings i would need to set to get this working again?
I know the monitor can run 75hz fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Try these:
res6hue8.png

Is there anyone who've already succeeded to overclock this monitor to 80 Hz?
I wonder if it's possible, because P2414H does work with 80 Hz.

Seeing as you are on the edge of stability at 72Hz, no chance with yours.

I think I've already figured out the problem, while I used my HDTV+monitor in mirrored mode it didn't work well... sometime the screen distorted, or went black (rarely), however I'm using the "extended" mode now, this way the monitor can work easily with 72hz, while my tv runs at 60hz, and both works fine.

So that's why I'm asking if 80hz would be possible, as it works for other people with P2414H, but probably P2314H needs different timings.

You should easily get it to work higher than 72Hz if it can work at 80Hz with or without tweaks.

I could get 75 Hz working with the settings Tup3x linked from a few comments above, and this works well over DP.

However I couldn't get 80 Hz no matter how I try, so maybe that's only possible with P2414H.

I actually got it working no issues with the AMD R9 290
i went into CRU and selected "Standard LCD" from the drop down menu and entered in 1920x1080 and 75hz and rebooted my machine. Now iam running @75hz the pixel clock is like 175mhz or something but it working fine. Im on displayport

Well, I only have a HD5670, does that matter in overclock?

For me 175mhz didn't work, currently it's running on 164.13 mhz.

Back