710 or 720?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walks0nwater

Limp Gawd
was wondering if the 20 extra dollars was worth it for the 720, does the performance increase really justify the price or should i just stick with the 710?

If you already have the 710 then no it's a waste of money. If you're deciding which you should buy, I'd recommend the 720 because of the 200mhz higher stock clock and the unlocked multi. With a good board and cooling you can get some very nice oc's with this chip using just the multi and volts. I'm up to 3.6ghz (200 htt x 18 multi ) stable with some tweaking.

no i haven't bought the 710 yet, just considering still but alright ill keep that in mind thanks

If your mobo and ram allow for the FSB/HTT overclocking, then you can get the 710, otherwise I would jump on the 720

There is no point in getting the 720 because with phenom II you can actually oc the htt a decent amount, so I would get the 710.

This.---^

As far as BE vs Non-BE; My 920 does just as good if not better than most 940's I've seen. 3.5 GHz @ 1.44v.

Having an unlocked multi (720 black is unlocked) is so worth 10-20 extra dollars!

This.---^

As far as BE vs Non-BE; My 920 does just as good if not better than most 940's I've seen. 3.5 GHz @ 1.44v.

[email protected] =)

Tho I am fsb overclocking atm to get my memory where I want it, having an unlocked multi is extremely useful! If you want to run ddr2-1066 at spec you want to leave the fsb at 200 with the 1066 divider and overclock via multi. My 4 sticks cannot run full speed 1066 so I use the fsb to get the memory up as high as itll go!

Having an unlocked multi (720 black is unlocked) is so worth 10-20 extra dollars!

[email protected] =)

Tho I am fsb overclocking atm to get my memory where I want it, having an unlocked multi is extremely useful! If you want to run ddr2-1066 at spec you want to leave the fsb at 200 with the 1066 divider and overclock via multi. My 4 sticks cannot run full speed 1066 so I use the fsb to get the memory up as high as itll go!

:p

I could match that but I like 250 FSB. It's a nice sweet spot for me all around with the NB/HTT Link and RAM.

And round numbers.

I do love me some round numbers.

was wondering if the 20 extra dollars was worth it for the 720, does the performance increase really justify the price or should i just stick with the 710?

everyone here is falling over themselves recommending one or the other, but the most important question hasnt been asked yet, wht do you plan to do with the cpu? do you plan to overclock? is budget a consideration? what tasks will you be running?

I could match that but I like 250 FSB. It's a nice sweet spot for me all around with the NB/HTT Link and RAM.

And round numbers.

i thought i was the only one who did this ^^ :p

And round numbers.

I am going to go try 250 now, x 14.5 for cpu. See if my ram will do 1000mhz cas5 with 4 slots populated. I dont really want to push the ram much past 2.0v as I plan to use it a long time.
Gskill lifetime warranty is nice I shouldnt worry about it heh

edit: As soon as I change the multi from auto to 14.5 I lose coolnquiet functionality in vista. I can manually set a low power state with k10stat but its not the same /cry

too bad too as its running great at 1000mhz 2.0v so far.
Worth it to note teh cheap gskill cas5 I just switched to from my corsair dominator, needs lower voltages for the same speeds as the dominator. Considering the corsair d is 20+ more bucks per 4gb it was worth mentioning! I sold the corsair because my cpu hsf covers the first 2 slots, regular ram fits dominator heatsinks dont.
Corsair with all 4 slots needed full 2.1v to run at 1000mhz without errors

Last edited:
For somebody that is simply going to use all the components at stock frequency, is the 720 BE still worth the $25 price premium over the 710?

For somebody that is simply going to use all the components at stock frequency, is the 720 BE still worth the $25 price premium over the 710?
CnQ will work without a problem on some mobos even when the multiplier is set higher than stock. Leaving all other options on stock setting, you can get a few more MHz for free just with a higher multiplier provided that the system is still stable. I would say that it is worth it to pay for the unlocked multiplier.

IMHO no, the 720BE commands a 22% price premium, but is only 7.6% faster. The 720 thus has a worse price/performance ratio then the 710, if you intend to run stock. If you do not intend to OC, and do not expressly need those extra 200 mhz, the 710 is a better choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back