70C with EK fullcover R9 290 CF

TheLAWNoob

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have a pair of R9 290 with EK blocks connected in serial with a no name brand chinese pump at medium speed. Have EK Supremacy Evo for i5 6600K and a 480mm slim rad from DazMode. 1400rpm fans.

Room temp 20-24C depending how long I've been gaming. Water temp unknown, but according to martinsliquidlab I might get 15C delta (water temp - room temp) with my setup.

Loop goes rad>pump>cpu>gpu>gpu

1st GPU: core 62C, VRM 80C (water goes VRM then core)
2nd GPU: core 70C, VRM 99C (water goes core then VRM)

I suspect I'm not getting enough flow rate since I have set my shitty pump to medium speed (full speed too loud).

If I get the EK parallel bridge, will that be a lot better since it will greatly reduce restriction and feed both GPUs with same water temperature?

It might, but if there is more restriction in one card the flow rate will be different, so it may also be a wash. If the bridge is cheap and you want to know- go for it! I have redone my loop a bunch of times trying to figure out the layout of more rads vs easy to fill, and been surprised at least once (top 240 actually hurt temps since it was pulling warm case air).

For science!

You could at least try setting you pump to max speed and check the temperatures then. At full load you would be pushing something close to 500-600w and that is a lot of heat for a slim 480 rad. Considering, that usually the general rule of thumb is 120mm of normal radiator per component to get "okay" temperatures, I think you may have too little radiator for so many hot/powerful components.

What pump? Get a Swiftech MCP655 I have a huge loop, dual rad and 4 feet of head height and it does well

I tried running the pump at full speed and it made no difference.

The VRM temp went up to 112C when I overvolted to +60mv. In comparison, 99C at +30mv.

Also, it only runs that hot in Rise of Tomb Raider. The core temps are in mid 50s in GTA V.

Found out why. Previous owner applied the thermal pad on top of capacitors instead of VRMs. He also used colored dye that left a nasty residue.

IMG_20160525_174253.jpg
IMG_20160525_181048.jpg

looks like the coolant/dye was cooking right over the die. yipes just yiiippes...

Wow- a little surprised it survived! Great catch, let us know what the temps are after a clean (I use 10% white vinegar and an ultrasonic toothbrush, followed by a hot distilled rinse).

Quick Fire Strike run with no fans pointing at GPUs.

VRM ran into 115C with 2 fans before, now it sits at 78C at 1.3V.

b.jpg

The low graphics score is probably my driver settings.

Case is Corsair 240. Only had 4 expansion slots, my gpu sits at 4th mobo slot and takes up 2 slots, so I had to cut the case with an angle grinder. There were sparks everywhere.

I ordered a parallel 3 slot bridge for the blocks, should come next week.

Might get another rad to drop the water temps. Right now its 10-15C delta.

IMG_20160518_222700.jpg

I should've got a bigger case. I was eyeing the Thermaltake X9 but didn't want to waste $200 on something that doesn't improve performance.

that's sweet! pure function over form! you're halfway to an open test bench.
i'd have no prob running like that either. hell, ive run a duct to suck cold winter air into my case before.

Back