7 suddenly does not want to auto sleep

ep0x73

2[H]4U
Build is only about a month old, latest drivers, etc and I had it sleep after 30 minutes. It simply won't.
Went over all the settings, powercfg etc and nothing seems out of the norm.
no new hardware was added.

I just don't get why it worked as it should then suddenly decides to not work.

I suppose I must be missing something.

Only USB attached is a mouse and printer which I've had for years.
Prior vista had zero issues sleeping when I told it to.

When my mouse pad gets a little dusty and the mouse sensor picks up the dust, in certain positions, there are micro-movements of the mouse pointer.

True story.

Suppose it won't hurt to try. Without changing any settings when it was working this makes no sense.

Most of the search hits I get are for computers that sleep and then wake up, that is normally outdated NIC drivers or usually something USB waking it up.

even though you didnt change anything i would go over all the power settings in the control panel. Does it sleep if you right click start and ask it to?

Is it possible an application/update is failing in the background? Check event viewer and reliability history to see if something is crashing. I've seen that type of activity effect sleep.

Close VLC? :-D i think it defaults to keep the pc awake.. other programs might too. CHange your sleep time to like 5 minutes Close everything in the system tray. see if it goes asleep. if it does.. enable them one at a time and repeat.

even though you didnt change anything i would go over all the power settings in the control panel. Does it sleep if you right click start and ask it to?

It does manually but not at a set timer like it should.

This computer does not have VLC installed.

open up elevated Command Prompt and type "powercfg -requests" and see what it says
hinxgsdyqc1lugittoa3_zpszlnwo5l7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
http://lifehacker.com/5924010/how-to-find-out-whats-keeping-your-computer-from-going-to-sleep

Well that is strange, it's now working again and I did not touch anything.

I checked the settings I have on my other 7 machine, all the same.

I did run power-cfg and nothing looked out of place.

guess windows fixed itself.:rolleyes:

I've struggled with this on 7, and 8.1.

First I could not figure out on 8.1 why it would never sleep. Windows 8 was perfect, but as soon as the update rolled out none of my computers would auto sleep. I literally pulled my hair out trying to figure it out after a few months and other problems with the os cropping up I rolled back to 7.

Windows 7 worked fine for a long time then all of a sudden wouldn't auto sleep again. I unplugged all of my usb, updated all drivers, powercfg and nothing. Well it turns out my roomate had to run a itunes server. Anytime itunes was left on, the computer wouldn't sleep. Since then I have deleted that pos software and problem is now gone!!!

Back