7 backup or system image?

ep0x73

2[H]4U
From what I understand the backup makes an image and you set set it to update in increments when new files are added like once a week or so.

Or, you can just make a full system image but if your drive fails you can only restore back to that point of course so anything new is lost.

Can you restore everything just from a backup or do you need the full image?

Yes you can restore individual files from a System Image only backup. It's a little more of a process, but this will give you the details.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/34630/how-to-recover-specific-files-from-a-windows-system-image/

A System Image is meant to be a straight up backup, while the System Backup is typically meant to just backup individual files/folders on a constant basis, although it also gives you the option to make a system image at the same time you set the Backup process.

Thanks, I think that was the site I was looking at.
With drives the size they are today I just made one of both just to see how it works.

The backup was 1/2 the size of the total size of all files so it's compressed whereas
the full image was not exact but closer to the full system.

I wipe my computer about every 6 months for giggles. I just set up a new install with patches than I made a clone. I use Crash Plan to recover all of my files.

From what I read system image just makes a mirror at that time whereas system backup makes a copy of your files AND also makes a system image.

The backup feature once done can add to the image new files manually or if you set it up to run at a certain time do the same.

Is this correct?

All I know is the backup [PC name] if you open the iso the files are in rars.whereas windowsimagebackup the file is VHD.

Back