6xx price cuts....Finally!

GVX

Gawd
http://www.theregister.com/2005/08/12/intel_p4_6xx_price_cuts/

Looks like tomorrow is the day when the 6xx series will finally be recieving the "dramatic" price cuts that Anandtech predicted back in June.

630. . . . . .$224 -------->$178. . . . .20.5%
640. . . . . .$273 -------->$218. . . . .20.1%
650. . . . . .$401 -------->$273. . . . .31.9%
660. . . . . .$605 -------->$401. . . . .33.7%
670. . . . . .$851 -------->$605. . . . .28.9%

I think that this makes the 6xx series much more competitive with AMD's current offerings (and it may even make the 6xx processors a better choice than an AMD ;) ).

EDIT: the above article isn't my only source, in case you cynics out there want to start flaming:

http://www.dvhardware.net/article6362.html
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2445

i hope newegg is participating in this little price cut. i just checked and they still have the old prices up as of today, Aug 13th. come on, newegg :(

blah about 2 weeks too late!! bastards. Just advised a friend to get a 530 for his new built 2 weeks ago. B/c the 630's were too much, even though I knew it would have been a much better OC'ing chip.

Damn, I wouldnt mind getting a 660, and overclock the hell out of it. I for sure will break the 4 Ghz mark and beyond that :D

Ungoliant said:
i hope newegg is participating in this little price cut. i just checked and they still have the old prices up as of today, Aug 13th. come on, newegg :(
Judging from AMD's recent price cut, it may take a week or so before most stores start to participate in the lower prices. Retailers don't like price cuts because the inventory they currently have was purchased at the higher price and they loose money by cutting their prices too quickly (they would rather get rid of their old stock first).

However, I would be surprised if it took that long for a big retailer like Newegg to lower their prices.

GVX said:
Judging from AMD's recent price cut, it may take a week or so before most stores start to participate in the lower prices. Retailers don't like price cuts because the inventory they currently have was purchased at the higher price and they loose money by cutting their prices too quickly (they would rather get rid of their old stock first).

However, I would be surprised if it took that long for a big retailer like Newegg to lower their prices.

However, depending on the product, sometimes the manufacturer gives some of the money back to the retailer. IE: if they have 1000 of Product X and the (retail) price drops by $20 each, the manufacturer will refund a portion of it.... like maybe $10 (distributor end pricing drop) each = $10,000!!!

I know it works that way for some of the major accounts in the clothing & shoes industry. Not for all retailers, and not all products obviously, but depending on the deals worked out sometimes it does work that way.

Ungoliant said:
the 'egg has just cut all prices down to the recommended msrp :D

Ummm... the only one that I saw drop in price is the 630 processor. And that is still above MSRP. Maybe there getting ready to drop the prices.

Obviously not better than AMD's flagship, they are certainly worth the cash now.

For Canadian shoppers, NCIX has so far slashed the prices of the 630, 640 and 650 (still waiting on the 660 and 670).

Those are very, very nice and very acceptable prices for the 600 series. Too bad I don't have money right now.

ScHpAnKy said:
I love the 8RDA, I still have one and it is an exceptional board

Oh yeah, they're very stable. People need to look into EPoX more, don't they? :cool:

These price cuts come at a great time as I am shopping for a new processor. The P4 660 @ $401 is looking very tempting.

Labrador said:
How does the 3.6ghz P4 fair againts lets say Athlon64 3500/3800 ?
According to Anandtech, the Athlon64 3400+ (which performs basically identically to the 3500+ except being for a different socket) scores 90.5fps in Doom 3 while the Pentium 660 scores 88.6fps in the same benchmark.

The performance between the two in gaming (which is AMD's home field) is the same, so you can bet that the 660 will slaughter a 3500+ everywhere else ;) .

Here's the chart: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2429&p=6

Back