6K Threadripper Workstation Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashen

Gawd
Hi [H]

Its been 10 years since my last proper from the ground up build. I need a new power horse workstation and I've been banging my head against the wall with all the reviews, erroneous threads and forums.

Im in desperate need of your help!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Im a concept artist that does 3D modeling animation both in 3D and 2D, Illustration and design. The programs I mainly use are Houdini, 3DS Max, After Effects, Zbrush, Photoshop, Illustrator, Substance Painter

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

USD 6000 Tax and Shipping not included

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

I live outside the states but my friend will be bringing all of the parts with them from the states. Michigan

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, MOBO, GPU, RAM, HARDRIVES, PSU, OS, Case, CPU Water Cooling

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

None

6) Will you be overclocking?

Not If I can help it, I need this to be as stable as possible.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Dual 4k Screens

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

November

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Crossfire or SLI support? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.

Frankly at a loss here, the more PCI Labes the better

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

No I will be purchasing this.

The parts that are a sure thing in the build will be the Threadripper 2990WX and a 2080Ti RTX. I'd like to have the OS and my programs on a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe but if you guys think of something better I'd be glad to hear of it. The OS will be windows 10 pro.

Another thing is the ram, I need 128GB ram for simulations and large complex scenes. I've read so much about this but I cant get a definitive answer on what make or speed is compatible and stable.

Thank you very mich for taking the time to read this and helping me out.

Cheers

Last edited:
Is it possible to offload rendering to another computer? if so when my build is done I would be willing to lend some horsepower. Sort of an out of curiosity thing.

Is it possible to offload rendering to another computer? if so when my build is done I would be willing to lend some horsepower. Sort of an out of curiosity thing.
Oh I would definitely be using a cloud based service for rendering animations and extensive simulations, but I'll need a powerful system for the initial look dev and previews. Thanks for the offer :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vKBVCb the motherboard has a 10GbE card (and two more GbE ports) and I added a 10GbE NAS and six Toshiba X300 6TB disks, there are 8 bays. You can play with the storage options depending on budget and whether slow disks in a NAS are acceptable.

Yes, the PSU is "only" Platinum and not Titanium but the heat and operating cost difference is absolutely negligible. The 2990WX alone can take 500W at peak (although that needed an industrial water chiller I wouldn't want a very short peak kick the overvoltage protection of the PSU and the crash of the system) and the 2080 FE was measured at 315W absolute peak and that was a mere FE not the Sea Hawk X. So yes, I am confident an above 1000W PSU is needed here for stability. At this wattage the price / quality is simply unbeatable, techspot gives it 94 points based on 9 reviews -- if you order by score you will see very few above 1000W PSUs at such a high score.

The cooler: noone wants to cool the 2990WX with an air cooler, custom loops are an expensive bother and this reviews well.

The chassis is relatively small, remove the 3.5 cage, it won't fit with the 360mm radiator and we don't need that. The GPU radiator can go on the top, the Noctua fan next to it. The motherboard is an inch deeper than ATX but it fits. It also has dual 8 pin power plugs instead of just 4 + 8 as some other TR4 boards. The 2990WX power consumption makes me nervous but dual 8 pin will feed it comfortably. Of course the PSU choosen has two 8 pins as well.

If you don't like the NAS, we could swap for a bigger chassis and put some more storage in the machine itself. I thought the possibility of moving the noisy disks away from the desk worths spending on it. Also, handling the disks, various apps etc, it's just better to have a NAS.

Last edited:
Hi [H].

The parts that are a sure thing in the build will be the Threadripper 2990WX and a 2080Ti RTX. I'd like to have the OS and my programs on a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe but if you guys think of something better I'd be glad to hear of it. The OS will be windows 10 pro.

Another thing is the ram, I need 128GB ram for simulations and large complex scenes. I've read so much about this but I cant get a definitive answer on what make or speed is compatible and stable.

Thank you very mich for taking the time to read this and helping me out.

Cheers

128gb of ddr4 3200 cas14, 8x16gb. when your looking at memory made by gskill try to stick to part numbers that end with R
the R designates that its been tested to run on ryzen systems. this is the baddest of the bad samsung b-die ics. at $1800 4- 2x16gb kits
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232560&ignorebbr=1

if you go with slightly lower timings, cas 16 ddr4 3200 it knocks off $800. the draw back is that its not tested to run on ryzen rigs and it wont bench as high. 4- 2x16gb kits but it will likely run just fine on a tr4 mb $1036
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232413&ignorebbr=1
these are the same modules its just cheaper to buy 4 seperate kits vs the 8x16gb kit.

ddr4 3200 cas 16, 8x16gb kit thats been tested to work together but not tested to run on a ryzen rig. again it will likely run fine on a tr4 rig. $1155
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232340&ignorebbr=1

mb asrock taichi x399- solid as a rock.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157785&ignorebbr=1

for a psu i would look at the evga g2 1300- excellent bang for the buck right now.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011
the g2 1000 is going for $100 so thats also a great option.

Last edited:
Hi guys, sorry it took me awhile to get back to this thread and reply, but work and life got in the way.

Im closing this thread because I've decided to wait for the new Ryzen 3 cpus and whatever iterations of the Threadripper that may follow.
I've purchased an interim computer based around the Ryzen 2700X and GTX 1080ti, that should keep me functional until I do the ultra build.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back