69XX Coil Squeal

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else getting it while under heavy 3D load? I have heard in the past its nothing to worry about but im still curious.

You sure it's your card and not your PSU? I haven't heard a peep about it and I've been looking up 69xx info on a lot of sites lately.

Yup, its been a problem for a while. My HD 5850 has coil whine if the frame rate gets high enough.

Someone needs to turn up the acrylic coating sprayers on the assembly line :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's possible for every card to have coil whine.
Years ago I remember reading that upgrading to a 'better' PSU could fix it. Even though the noise was coming from the card.

My 6970 whines like an unpaid whore when running 3dmark03....but so far it hasn't let out even a peep when gaming. Furmark didn't make it whine either...so I'm hoping its just an isolated incident.

Last edited:
Furmark has made every video card I have ever run it on whine, and it even changes in pitch as the cube spins. I dont hear anything of the sort while gaming or benching my 6970.

Ridiculous FPS will make many cards whine. Irrelevant in real world apps unless you've got something truly defective.

Furmark has made every video card I have ever run it on whine, and it even changes in pitch as the cube spins. I dont hear anything of the sort while gaming or benching my 6970.

X100000 for me

My 4890 sounds so sad when I run furmark (not that I do it often, just to test OC to make sure it is 100% stable).

I was wondering what this was! I just bought a 6850 and I'd never heard my card make a noise quite like that before.

Here is a news article about the issue, it is power regulator interference from the graphics card that make the PSU squeal? Or in some cases is the 3d card squealing? It would be nice to see reviews of 3d card and psus go into this issue, but I haven't seen it been mentioned in any of the reviews yet :(

- After reporting the problem to Nvidia, we were greeted with denial - it was unable to replicate the problem - until we sent readouts from an oscilloscope, displaying the interference shooting back up the PCIe power connectors into the PSU.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/05/29/msi-solves-the-nvidia-gtx-squealing-problem/1

I had a xfx gtx 285 and a evga gtx 470 make my mist 650W rev 4.0 squeal very loudly. My mist 650w rev 3.0 is almost silent but squeals a little too. The only difference i knwo of is the rev 4.0 have one 12v rail while the 3.0 one have four 20A 12v rails.

I wish people would stop grizzling about this issue. it doesn't mean there is a problem with the card, and it doesn't happen in proper games. The only time you will get it is when the frame rate output is enormous (typically when you exceed 500-600fps), i.e. stress tests, the intro videos in some games, and old stuff like ZDoom, that's it. Every card I have owned has coil whine in those games, yet none of the cards I have owned have ever done it anywhere else.

If it's happening when you're running 200 to 10 billion FPS, it's not an issue. If it's happening in actual games with realistic settings and FPS, you have an issue.

That simple.

My 1st 470 whines like no tomorrow no matter what the load it's under. The only time it doesn't make noise is when it's sitting idle. It whines in any game and cries when folding not to mention it's not that great of a OC'er compared to the newer one I have. It's also not the PSU in my case because I've used an XFX 750W BE and now I have a Sparkle Computer Gold Class 1000W.

The only time my 6950 whines is when I run the Windows Experience Index test, and it is very faint.

The month or so I've had this card, I've come to the same conclusion as many others in this thread....super high FPS = coil whine, and not at any other time. The Windows Experience Index will make it whine too, though I have a feeling its for the same reason.
I've yet to play a game that will get my card to emit any sort of coil whine...and if I do encounter one, enabling Vsync should take care of the issue.

Every single GPU I have ever owned has suffered from Coil Whine. I even smashed a 5850 because the coil whine was so Loud I could hear it in my kitchen from my bedroom in the Crysis Menu. There is nothing wrong with your card its always been a problem & most of the time a Company will NOT let you RMA it cause its not defective in anyway.

I had a GTX 480, it does whine, but never this loud as 6970..

heck 5870 doesn't even really whine at all..

6970 even on PDF scrolling it whines like crazy, same thing with Windows Live mail... or moving big pictures... its annoying as hell..

I had a GTX 480, it does whine, but never this loud as 6970..

heck 5870 doesn't even really whine at all..

6970 even on PDF scrolling it whines like crazy, same thing with Windows Live mail... or moving big pictures... its annoying as hell..

So why haven't you RMA'd it?

It's not "6970", it's your 6970, which is clearly defective.

Back