6990's Listed On Newegg..

They were already for sale. Bought one this morning from Newegg. :)

Limited supply. All sold out pretty fast.

The last of them sold out in the last hour or so. They have been in stock all day until now.

In a way I'm sort of happy that I jumped on dual HD 5870 2GB in crossfire for $380 new from Newegg now that I see the $700-$750 price tag for this card. Glad I didn't wait.

Mines on order. Just kidding. $700? wow. I will pick one up used.

^^ 1+ to that. :cool: I was kinda looking forward to this day until I saw that price tag, wow. That's a new set of tires for my truck.

Wait, these are 4GB cards? I thought they were 2x 2GB for 2GB effective. Is that just a marketing ploy, listing them as 4GB?

Man. I guess they didn't price them TOO high. Most have sold out. Can't deal with the price though. I would have to upgrade everything to accommodate one.

I also don't understand why they are so expensive, when two 6970's are cheaper and will outperform a 6990. Unless you are going quadfire or your board isn't CFX capable, buying a 6990 seems like a waste...

I also don't understand why they are so expensive, when two 6970's are cheaper and will outperform a 6990. Unless you are going quadfire or your board isn't CFX capable, buying a 6990 seems like a waste...

That is exactly it though. The extra charge for the cards is due to the convenience factor of a single PCB and the fact that they're new so price will be jacked up (and will continue to remain high as long as they are selling out).

Wait, these are 4GB cards? I thought they were 2x 2GB for 2GB effective. Is that just a marketing ploy, listing them as 4GB?

They are 2x2Gb-- 2Gb usable by each GPU, 4Gb total of memory chips on the card.

It is a bit of a marketing ploy, however all of the modern dual GPU cards, and even since ATI's first Rage Fury Maxx, have been sold by listing the total amount of memory.

its a marketing thing. all the manufactures do it, even in the cpu category as well. they combine the stats for both gpu's even though when in crossfire they are technically aren't combined, they are mirrored stats.

because not everyone can fit 2 cards in a system and crossfire them. say you have a nvidia chipset board on an lga-775 or AM2/2+/3 board. the only way you can run crossfire is with a dual gpu card. say you have a mATX board that only has 1 PCI-e slot. then a dual gpu card is the only way you can run crossfire. thats why they are more expensive then 2 6970's. the whole 600 dollar thing was wishful thinking. it would of been nice at 600 dollars but we were pretty much smoking crack if we actually thought it would sell at that price. some people are willing to spend the extra money to have a single card instead of 2 cards. but the key factor is that there really is no competition for the card in the single card performance category.

Last edited:
I think i will just be getting an additional 6970 for x-fire in the future. After seeing a bunch of benchmarks i will be better off that way.

http://tigerdirect.com has them. Benefit to me, I won't have to pay sales tax (whereas most places I do) & overnight shipping is far less than the $60 dollars I'm saving on tax. Mine arrives day after tomorrow, w00t.

Mines on order. Just kidding. $700? wow. I will pick one up used.

Same here. Used. Also, if I wanted to spend that kind of money, I would wait to see how the GTX590 performs before pulling the trigger.
$700 for a card that may finish second isn't the smart choice.

People have short term memory loss or what?

Poeple don't remember the Nvidia 8800 Ultra that were 830$ first month out???? 830$ for 1 GPU?

Now we have 2 GPUs on 1 card, fully internally optimized to be 99% of what 2X 6970 are, and people complain.

Wow. And the problem is price gouging, since it's not the MSRP.

Nice they have 4 x DP. Should resolve the screen tearing with Eyefinity. Price wise though yeah 2 x 6950's unlocked seems great.

Same here. Used. Also, if I wanted to spend that kind of money, I would wait to see how the GTX590 performs before pulling the trigger.
$700 for a card that may finish second isn't the smart choice.

Honestly the 590 will perform better in the brute strength catigory but by what 20% maybe?? Also you have to think Nvidia = Exspinsive... So they are either going to be:

1. Over $1000 so they will not be worth it...
2. In such limited supply they will disapear just as fast as the 3GB 580s

Also they still only have 1.5GB per GPU supposedly so they will fail at 3x1 most the time...

Holy crap. For that price, I better be getting the swimsuit model that's posing with it too.

People have short term memory loss or what?

Poeple don't remember the Nvidia 8800 Ultra that were 830$ first month out???? 830$ for 1 GPU?

Now we have 2 GPUs on 1 card, fully internally optimized to be 99% of what 2X 6970 are, and people complain.

Wow. And the problem is price gouging, since it's not the MSRP.

2x HD 6970 in crossfire costs around $640. Why would I buy this when I can get better/same performance for less? MSRP is $700, that's what the review here on Hard OCP said anyways.

My 5970 was around that price a year ago, I'm sitting this round out.

Ditto. I'm currently sitting with 5870 CF and was considering stepping up to a 6990 if the price was around $500-$550 as I can sell the 5870s locally individually to friends or what-not for probably $200.00 each and end up with a 6990 for $100-$150...but.... wow...at $700-$730? No, ty AMD! Call me in the Fall/Spring when the 7xxx series is here. I usually buy every second generation so that seems about the right time as it is.

Explain please.

There's a problem with Eyefinity when you connect monitors with different connection types. Specifically DVI and DP mix.
The regular 6950/6970's have 2 DVI and 2 mini Display ports (the HDMI port is shared with a DVI, only one works at a time). So for 3 screens you will essentially be using 2 DVI + 1 DP or 2 DP + 1 DVI.
What happens is you get terrible screen tearing in games with Eyefinity enabled. The odd display connection type will have bad screen tearing. The temporary work around is to use this monitor as a side monitor so it won't be as noticeable to you and not to use this monitor as the first when making your eyefinity group.

A DP can be daisy chained or split into multiple monitors, but this requires a MST Hub. These aren't for sale yet though. So by adding 4 DP's the 6990 won't have this tearing problem because all your connections will be DP's.

2x HD 6970 in crossfire costs around $640. Why would I buy this when I can get better/same performance for less? MSRP is $700, that's what the review here on Hard OCP said anyways.

Ok. Let's see. You want to play with numbers.

For a Tri-Fire set-up, to run 3 GPUs at 1000 core for exemple. Extreme cards for extreme users like me, so I'm aiming for nothing less then 1000 core on my 3 GPUs.

So I have to use the switch for BIOS 2 of my 6990, and flash my BIOS to 1000. Crazy power demand and heat = watercooling, no choice. I hope no one is stupid enough (and I know some stupid 12 yrars old will try it) to try to reach 1000 on air in a middle tower case with those clocks...

3X6970 = 1050-1100$ + 3X full waterblock = 300$, so total of 1350-1400$. Need to use 3 PCIe slots. 3 GPUs at 1000 core.

1X6990 + 1X6970 = 1050$ (I paid my 6990 729$ and my 6970 310$) = 1050$, but only need 2 waterblocks = 200, total 1250$. I save 100-150$ and I save 1 PCIe slot to buy and use a RAID card, or something else, like another LCD screen. 3 GPUs at 1000 core.

So still overpriced? ;) And please no ''unlock 6950'' is cheaper blah blah blah. We all know AMD is now locking the 6950v2, and some people are having problems with high OC with their unlocked 6950. AMD didn't planned the unlocking, and now the are blocking them.

Let's do more. 2X Nvidia 580 in SLI = 1000$ + 2 waterblocks = 1200$. 2 GPUs, ONLY 1.5GB VRAM, so no contest, for around the same price, we all know 3X6970 or 6990+6970 will rape that set-up. And 1.5Gb is not enough for high-res (2560X1600p or more, and multiple screen set-ups).

Only the fanboys think 580 SLI is better. We all know it's not. The 6990 alone is around 85% of 580 SLI for 300$ less. So with a 6990+6970 or 3X6970, there is no contest.

You see. the only overpriced POS in here is the 580 from Nvidia. The 6990 is at the good price for the people for whom it was designed. Extreme users like me.

6990 is ONLY for 30'' LCD or more res with MAX AA and AF, and or multiple screen set-ups. People with 24'' or less, and or 1200p/1080p res souldn't even look at (and not talk about, and judge) the 6990. IT WAS NOT MADE FOR THEM!

So stop pissing on a card that was clearly not designed for you. Nvidia (upcoming 590) and AMD(with the 6990) are pushing the power over the limit and standards and want to have the fastest card on the market, that's all.

Because they know people look at the top-of-the-line Mercedes in the showroom, but will buy the chepest one down-the-line (now a Chrysler...). Psychological flagship behavior 101. Why do you think every car manufacturers want to run the Formula 1 circuits?

Standard users should'nt even look at the 6990 or 590. Those need crazy power supply and extreme cooling. Don't think of using a 590 in a mid tower case full of dust bunnies. I know some stupid dudes spending their parents money will try it and burn their system. Those cards are not for them.

Last edited:
So you spend over $1k for GPUs and don't have more than 3 PCI Express slots? That sir is fail.

First....Please don't begin to tell me I can't run multi-monitors with my GTX 580 SLi, that I am "memory limited".

I do it every day without a problem.:p

I could give a shit about the 6990. Don't need one, don't want one. Please don't start on me about costs. At the time I bought my 580s (three months ago) AMD hadn't even released the 6900 series cards. I also do not need waterblocks for my 580s. They rarely approach 70C under full gaming load and 70% fan speeds, which are not loud.

Secondly, the 6990.....
It's nice to look at and read about.
The performance is very good.
I like the dual BIOS switch.
It's a great solution, two cards in one and the scaling looks great.
Expensive? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......right now, price is high. It will settle in at 699 in a few weeks when more cards are available:D

At 2560x1600 at least, 1.5GB VRAM is ample. It's borderline enough for 5760x1080 in the same way 1GB is borderline enough for 2560x1600, works 95% of the time, but there are the odd few titles that need more. Fact is though, for a card to be borderline sufficient before it's even released, that doesn't say much about the investment. Still, almost anyone buying a GTX590 will be replacing it with the 28nm equivalent in a year's time anyway, so it's probably not a huge issue.
At 4800x2560 though the GTX590 is going to get a complete pasting unless a 3GB per GPU variant is offered.

There's a problem with Eyefinity when you connect monitors with different connection types. Specifically DVI and DP mix.
The regular 6950/6970's have 2 DVI and 2 mini Display ports (the HDMI port is shared with a DVI, only one works at a time). So for 3 screens you will essentially be using 2 DVI + 1 DP or 2 DP + 1 DVI.
What happens is you get terrible screen tearing in games with Eyefinity enabled. The odd display connection type will have bad screen tearing. The temporary work around is to use this monitor as a side monitor so it won't be as noticeable to you and not to use this monitor as the first when making your eyefinity group.

A DP can be daisy chained or split into multiple monitors, but this requires a MST Hub. These aren't for sale yet though. So by adding 4 DP's the 6990 won't have this tearing problem because all your connections will be DP's.

Every time I get close to pulling the trigger on an Eyefinity setup I read some new negative to it. How bad is this tearing? I was planning on two DVI and one active DP adapter with three TN panels in portrait. I'm also hearing that's not the best of ideas as well though.

The tearing is basically non-existent if you use decent quality adapters. Too many people use cheap nasty ones and that's where a lot of the tearing problems come from.

So you spend over $1k for GPUs and don't have more than 3 PCI Express slots? That sir is fail.

Dude. I'm talking generally and for users limited in slots, not about me. I have an Asus X58 P6T and a Asus Maximus IV P67 at home. No problems with my PCie slots. :D

There is a signature with my systems for a reason.

That's quite difficult to read. It's difficult to work out what's in what system at first.

First....Please don't begin to tell me I can't run multi-monitors with my GTX 580 SLi, that I am "memory limited".

I do it every day without a problem.:p

Ok. Just try 3X 30'' LCD instead. A true gaming set-up, a set-up that the 6990 was made for. Your 3 months old 580 SLI against a 6990+6970, with 3X 30'' LCD, 8AA and max AF.

Sorry, but you will be memory limited. Not the AMD system. :) And with much better FPS on AMD side.

AMD made the 6990 to go 2X 6990 for the price of 580 Tri-SLI, and totally beat it. It will even breath on Quad-SLI set-ups neck's. We are starting to see some crazy good benchmark with great scaling with 2X6990. Just look around.

Only 3 months. Ouch. 1000$. Beaten badly by 6990+6970 for the same price 3 months later. Frustrating. I went over 1 year with 5970+5870 on top. :)

Nvidia owners should remove their pink glasses.

Every time I get close to pulling the trigger on an Eyefinity setup I read some new negative to it. How bad is this tearing? I was planning on two DVI and one active DP adapter with three TN panels in portrait. I'm also hearing that's not the best of ideas as well though.

I used to have two 5870 E6 cards in CrossfireX.
I connected my monitors like so:
1) DVI>DVI
2)mini-DP>DVI This arrangement was due to the native connections on the GPU.
3)mini-DP>DP

I don't use
VSync as a rule, I saw no more "tearing" than I usually see under any circumstances.

Back