6990 Accerlero Twin Turbo

Thing was pretty simple to put on. Took me about 10 minutes. The only flaw I found so far is that the 8pin clips are so close to the heat fins that I need to borrow woman fingers in order to unclick to disconnect.

Oh, and the instructions said to tighten to the screws by "turning 3 times clockwise". I did more because 3 times is quite unrealistic.

My 6990 runs cooler than my 6970 now... and VERY quiet. The 6970 is now louder...

How many pci slots does it take up now 2 or 3 ? The problem with the 4870x2 & 5970 coolers was a vrm heat sink that was too thick & didn't let the cooler properly contact 1 of the gpus.

Thanks. I built a pretty quiet rig. But my 5970 is the loudest part in my rig. I wanted to get a 6990 but I didn't want to put a vacuum cleaner in my pc. Might have to reconsider the upgrade.

The only down side is that I can hear my 6970 now lol

I want to put aftermarket on there, but it's quite impossible now. I need 4 PCI-e slots.

Check it out http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...agship-hd6990-is-silent-air-cooling-possible/

They got 2 new 140mm fans and added them to the accelero Twin Turbo 6990 to make it nearly silent as they got a lot of correspondence wondering if better fans can be put in place of the ones that come on the already very expensive cooler. Well they answer the questions and the results are pretty good. However buying two of these high end 140mm fans add to the price of this already expensive cooler and make you wonder if you really are that much scared of water cooling. :)

Temperature improvement
temps8.png

Return to idle improvement
return-to-idle2.png

Acoustics performance improvement
acoustics-performance3.png

Again another excellent review, please check it out it's definitely a worthwhile read. I also like how they got reader feedback and acted on it.

I wasted my money on the Twin Turbos for the 5870. After a few months, both fans fried rendering the entire cooler worthless. At least the card was perfectly fine after reinstalling the reference cooler and it wasn't killed by the AC heatsink installation like the 5970 people experienced.

I wasted my money on the Twin Turbos for the 5870. After a few months, both fans fried rendering the entire cooler worthless. At least the card was perfectly fine after reinstalling the reference cooler and it wasn't killed by the AC heatsink installation like the 5970 people experienced.

The coolers have a warranty... :confused:

Thanks. I built a pretty quiet rig. But my 5970 is the loudest part in my rig. I wanted to get a 6990 but I didn't want to put a vacuum cleaner in my pc. Might have to reconsider the upgrade.

I'm curious at your case temps, that's a lot of heat being dumped inside the case, how are they?

Thanks

Well now I have a dilemma. The heatsink is overly large and blocks off the crossfire bridge. Does anyone know of any crossfire bridges longer than 10cm? If not, I'm going to have to sell off my 6970 lol

It did work fine as 6970 in primary, but that blocked off my bottommost pci-e slot. I need the 6990 as primary because I have a soundcard and a video capture all running on pci-e.

Well now I have a dilemma. The heatsink is overly large and blocks off the crossfire bridge. Does anyone know of any crossfire bridges longer than 10cm? If not, I'm going to have to sell off my 6970 lol

It did work fine as 6970 in primary, but that blocked off my bottommost pci-e slot. I need the 6990 as primary because I have a soundcard and a video capture all running on pci-e.

100mm seems to be the longest.

XpediencY, how are the VRM temps with the Accelero 6990? That's the one flaw in the Accelero 5970 I don't want to see repeated. I heard 110C at load.

XpediencY, how are the VRM temps with the Accelero 6990? That's the one flaw in the Accelero 5970 I don't want to see repeated. I heard 110C at load.

I'll check again tonight, but if I recall I was looking correctly, about 40-50 idle and 70 load.

My 5870 w/the Twin Turbo had VRM temps over 125° C which is over the design limits of the VRMs and another reason why I am glad to be rid of that thing. The dinky heatsinks also fell off over time due to the terrible thermal adhesive they used.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the one reservation I have with such coolers - all the memory sinks fell off my HR-03, but then I can't remember if I purified the surface before I attached them, so it's probably my bad.

Yeah that's the one reservation I have with such coolers - all the memory sinks fell off my HR-03, but then I can't remember if I purified the surface before I attached them, so it's probably my bad.

I followed all of AC's instructions to the letter, including rubbing all the ram/vrm surfaces with an eraser to clean them off. Then cleaned again with rubbing alcohol. Then I heated up the heatsinks and warmed up the adhesive with a blowdryer before application. Then I pressed them on when warm and held them for a minute with some pressure applied. They still fell off within weeks.

Perhaps AC has improved their ramsinks/vrmsinks and have improved their thermal tape but I'm not going to bother with the risk knowing how badly the older product was designed.

Indeed, fallen memory sinks is far from the worst case scenario, I had to bin my HD3870 when fitting an S1 destroyed it (cracked die :O)

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. I had no problem installing 4870x2 version. Like the OP, the fan noise was driving me crazy until I couldn't take it anymore. I tried using a headphone but I still heard it wailing away while playing games. So $80 later and my computer was whisper quiet again. It was a tough pill to swallow because I'm adding $80 to a already $400 card. But I had to.

I don't have any issues like fan dying or fallen memory sinks. I only turn off my computer when I go to sleep and it's probably been just about a year and a half. The only issue I had was I tried to put my 4870x2 in a Lian Li V354 to test out a new build for a friend. The case was so small that all the heat coming off the video card completely overwhelmed the i3 2100 stock cooling and that is with 2 front case fans blowing in with the HD cages removed. I was playing BF3 beta and about 45 minutes in the computer shut down by itself. I think it's worthy purchase especially if noise bothers you very much. I know I will not hesitate to buy another one for whatever the next video card I upgrade to if the fan noise is unbearable again.

Yeah my 4870X2s were incredibly loud in QuadCF but I resigned myself to the fact that such specs were never going to be quiet on air, so I lived with it until I got my 6970s, which are almost silent by comparison.

I have a friend that wants to buy the second one. I am going to see how BF3 takes just one and go from there. If I cant fit it then it looks like he is going to luck out.

Will certainly report back.

I ordered one. I might also try the 140mm fan mod with some Noctuas. That is.. if I don't kill the card first.

Do you think the 10 cm crossfire cable would fit with a 6970 accelero II in the primary PCI slot, and a 6990 accelero in the secondary slot?

Received my cooler today from Mwave and promptly decided to install it. The instructions provided are decent but I was hoping for a video or better warnings for nubs like myself concerning specific steps that need careful attention.

For example, removing the PCB from the OEM heatsink can be scary since mine was held on pretty tight and didn't come off until I used quite a bit of force which made me feel like I was about to snap it.

Also, removing the thermal paste was not easy since the original paste is very rigid. For this step they just show a drawing of a tissue next to the paste with instructions to clean it off. Not very helpful. I ended up using a combination of cotton swabs dipped in alcohol and some lens wipes. I hear that Arctic Silver makes thermal paste remover. Had I known, I would have bought some ahead of time.

I took my time being very careful to make sure I didn't tighten the screws too tight and placed all thermal pads perfectly. The end result is pretty impressive. The cooler is huge and does take up 3 slots while adding a substantial amount of width as well.

Initial impression is HUGE satisfaction. I honestly can't believe how quiet it is while gaming. Up until now I've had to put up with what sounded like a vacuum cleaner next to me while playing BF3. I've just finished playing a bit with the Accelero installed and the fridge in the room creates more noise now.

My case doesn't provide great amounts of air flow, so I believe my temps may not be the norm for this cooler. It gets around 72 degrees Max temp while playing BF3 multiplayer. Idle temp is around 40 degrees. Not too cool but you have to remember its doing so while being very quiet.

Wow Shino, that looks pretty sweet.

LOL YOU ACTUALLY BOUGHT THAT GOOFY SNAIL CASE.

I'm lovin' it.

-Thanks a lot!

I'll still try and see what I can do about improving the air flow of my case but for the moment everything is going pretty smooth. This is my first time installing a 3rd party VGA cooler, so I figure if I could pull it off then it shouldn't be too tough for others.

$100 was a bit steep, but my only other alternative would have been spending at least $300 on water cooling so overall I'm pleased with the purchase so far.

Sweet setup! I'm actually digging the case (Not that I would buy one, but it's still pretty cool anyway.). ;)

Thought I would finally join the forum and post up. I read this thread when I was considering getting the cooler for my new build. I think there was some questions about using these in crossfire so this should clear it up. IMO, arctic wasnt very truthfull when they put "crossfire compatible" on the box and Kitguru reported that also. I guess if your running another type of card above this with another cooler then maybe its accurate but this thing clearly blocks the crossfire port. I thought I was going to have to mod the fan shroud and cut a slot for the bridge but there is a heat pipe in the way too. Luckily i was able to twist the bridge around and have it reach. Here is my setup....

Asus Maximus Extreme-Z mobo with two slot spaces between 1 and 3 slots.
dual MSI 6990's

IMG073.jpg

IMG075.jpg

IMG076.jpg

Thought I would finally join the forum and post up. I read this thread when I was considering getting the cooler for my new build. I think there was some questions about using these in crossfire so this should clear it up. IMO, arctic wasnt very truthfull when they put "crossfire compatible" on the box and Kitguru reported that also. I guess if your running another type of card above this with another cooler then maybe its accurate but this thing clearly blocks the crossfire port. I thought I was going to have to mod the fan shroud and cut a slot for the bridge but there is a heat pipe in the way too. Luckily i was able to twist the bridge around and have it reach. Here is my setup....

Asus Maximus Extreme-Z mobo with two slot spaces between 1 and 3 slots.
dual MSI 6990's

Thanks for your post, so I notice that you managed to fit 2 of these fine with a flexible 100mm crossfire bridge. I was concerned when the OP said that it didn't fit with his bridge that quadfire wouldn't be possible. Good to see that with the right bridge you can get it working. WOW that is some serious hardware there. How high can you OC your cards with that thing? I bet over 1000mhz core on each. Also are you using the Ausum bios setting?

Awesome post and Welcome. I am getting my second 6990 back from RMA on Wednesday. I have two of these coolers sitting in the basement.

So you have your Cards in the first and Third PCIe (slot 1 and 4 on your motherboard). With reference coolers I was running slot 1 and 4 (three unused slots in-between to your two). Obviously that wont work with the twist as the connection is super tight.

My Problem is that a 1-4 configuration on my motherboard would be a PCIe 4x slot for the second card. You guys think that that would be a bottleneck? God help me if I need to go sandy bridge...

Mobo links for reference:
Rampage III Extreme (Mine)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642
Maximus IV Extreme-Z (His)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Thanks for your post, so I notice that you managed to fit 2 of these fine with a flexible 100mm crossfire bridge. I was concerned when the OP said that it didn't fit with his bridge that quadfire wouldn't be possible. Good to see that with the right bridge you can get it working. WOW that is some serious hardware there. How high can you OC your cards with that thing? I bet over 1000mhz core on each. Also are you using the Ausum bios setting?

Honestly havent even started overclocking yet. New build and Im still working out the wrinkles on stock clocks. Yes I am using Ausum bios clocks and I cant run furmark burn in test without my UPS going ballistic because I am putting 120%+ load on it, lol. Furmark benchtest shows the highest the cards get is 60* though.

Awesome post and Welcome. I am getting my second 6990 back from RMA on Wednesday. I have two of these coolers sitting in the basement.

So you have your Cards in the first and Third PCIe (slot 1 and 4 on your motherboard). With reference coolers I was running slot 1 and 4 (three unused slots in-between to your two). Obviously that wont work with the twist as the connection is super tight.

My Problem is that a 1-4 configuration on my motherboard would be a PCIe 4x slot for the second card. You guys think that that would be a bottleneck? God help me if I need to go sandy bridge...

Mobo links for reference:
Rampage III Extreme (Mine)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642
Maximus IV Extreme-Z (His)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Yeah I am using PCI-E slots 1 and 3 but this board has an extra slot in between them so like you said it would be physical slots 1 and 4.

Lason that is awesome!

I was worried if I put this cooler on I wouldn't be able to Tri-fire with a 6970 but if you could do that with another Accelero 6990 I'd have no problems.

Are you able to fit in a PCIE sound card too with that configuration? I was going to grab either an Asus P67 Revolution or Maximus IV to fit 6990+6970+X-FI and maybe an 8800GTX for physx.

An accelero cooler means 3 slots per card minimum. The maximum you can ever fit in a board is usually 7, unless you can hang a card in the bottom slot below the bottom of the board. With two cards (one of which is an accelero) that's 5 slots - add one for the sound card and you're already using 6 (ignoring the fact the graphics cards are starved for air due to no slot spacing) - the 8800GTX addition puts you up to 8.

Back