6990+6970 bf3 eyefinity: need help with a quick question

kandor

Gawd
Hi,

I just grabbed 2 new 23" 1080p monitors for eyefinity in bf3. I have a 6990 and a 6970 (in xfire) with the 6990 in slot #1 (which I read was recommended somewhere?). But, the new monitors are HDMI only. The 6990 came with 3 dongles, only 1 is hdmi. So I can only hook up all 3 monitors to the 6970 (which has dvi, hdmi and dp on the back).

So, can I switch 6970 to the number 1 slot without issue? Otherwise I would have to buy another dp->hdmi adapter.

I guess your best bet is to try it out, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The card with the displays connected will become the main card.

Try it out. :D

I woulsn't recommend it, one of the plusses with having a 6990 is the fact that you can use 3 display port displays. Any combination of hdmi/ dvi etc... Will cause a screen tear as your displays will be slightly out of sync. My advice would be to keep the 6990 as the primary buy 3 adapter (2 mini DP to hdmi and 1 dp to hdmi)

If your 6990 has 3 mini dp's then just get 3 mini dp to hdmi.

At the end of the day use 3 displays using the same output type for the best eyefinity experience possible.

*edit, just wanted to check ->DP means active and dp means passive? In my setup below my center display is in the native dvi port on the 6990 - how much of a problem is that?

Ok, thanks, I got it figured out this way at the moment:

Center display is alienware 2310 hooked up to 6990 DVI port
Left Display is non-descript 23" monitor hooked up to 6990 dp port via active DVI dongle.
Right Display is non-descript 23" monitor hooked up to 6990 dp port via passive DVI dongle.

Should be ok? I was able to score 2 ok monitors for really cheap (145$ each) so I wasn't looking for high quality, they are peripheral anyways.

I have some very basic eyefinity questions though;

1: What physical angle is best between the 3 monitors for perspective etc? Currently I have my left and right monitors 'slightly' angled maybe 5-7 deg. seems ok

2: The bezel compensation yellow triangle, is it to look co-linear across the top of triangle, so it looks like 1 triangle with a strip missing where your bezel is, or is it supposed to be the the vertical edge of the 2 triangle on each screen are the same height? Good question right?! :)

3: When you first boot bf3 with eyefinity enabled it comes up with some wack-a-doodle resoltion like 6080x1080 or something - what is that all about?

I followed the guide in the adjacent thread to adjust safe resolution width for bf3 (I set it to 0.33, seemed logical), worked great - hud and everything is good. Frame rate ranges from 60 to 100 at 5760x1080 on Ultra with only MSAA turned off. Hits the cards hard which is good. I'm walking away from 120hz with this setup (which only my center screen supports) but the eyefinity thing is just too cool!

Last edited:
Just wanted to check ->DP means active and dp means passive? In my setup listed above my center display is in the native dvi port on the 6990 - how much of a problem is that?

Regarding crossfire and eyefinity. If I have 3 panels do they all have to be plugged into the main card or can some be plugged into the secondary card?

Regarding crossfire and eyefinity. If I have 3 panels do they all have to be plugged into the main card or can some be plugged into the secondary card?

To use Eyefinity all monitors need to be connected to the primary card.:D

Since the 6950 ref has only 2 displayports you would have to use dvi for the 3rd panel.
I have read that mixed connections causes screen tearing or has this be resolved
with newer drivers?

Back