• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6970 Xfire and Mobo question

Zaner

n00b
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
51
I wasn't sure I should post this in here or the motherboard section so forgive me if I chose the wrong
I have a Sapphire 6970, recently as a birthday present for work I received a Dell u3011 (2560x1600 as I'm sure most of you know) I was expecting to be gaming at 1920x1200 when I chose this card, I can already see it starting to choke a slight bit
Now the problem is my motherboard runs at x16 and x4, I can't get a straight answer for the life of me about it, some people say absolutely not, others say the performance dip is minimal, and the only benchmarks I can find are rather old and only comparing single cards in each bus

So any help would be greatly appreciated, i'd love another card, but if it's going to severly throttled i'll just have to live with it
thankyou

edit - rest of specs
i5 760 @ 3.4
6GB OCZ 2000mhz
XFX 850w
Mobo is a P55 USB3 (rubbish)
 
[H] did a review on it. the performance loss is minimal at your resolution, where you see the drop is when running eyefinity with the 4x.

i'll dig up the link for [H]'s review.

heres all the testing they did..

x16/x16 x16/x8
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/16/sli_cfx_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x16x8/
x16/x16 x8/x8
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x8x8/
x16/x16 x4/x4
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/25/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x4x4/
 
Wow, that is a breath of fresh air indeed..
Thankyou very much for this sirmonkey1985.

While i'm here, would there be any issue at all with purchasing a 6950 and unlocking it, would that cause any issues Xfiring with a legit 6970 or can I just remove the 6970, put in the 6950 and unlock it, then throw the '70 back in and be home free
 
Last edited:
The two cards in crossfire will downclock to the speed of the card with the lowest clock speed. You won't run into any troubles if you run the 6950 unlocked or locked in crossfire.
 
Back
Top