6970 with a q6700 ?

kingdom9214

Limp Gawd
I've been slowly upgrading my HTPC, I'm looking to get a FX chip for it soon but that will be in a few months. I just picked up and XFX 6970 Black Edition off of CL for $75 so I'm just wondering if my Q6700 @ 3.3ghz is going to bottleneck the card to much. My HTPC is running a 6850 right now, and I'm wondering if I'm going to see a jump in fps or is my cpu going to be to slow for the 6970.

HTPC Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 oc to 3.33ghz
8gb OCZ 1066mhz ddr2
Evga 750i SLI FTW MB
Seasonic 760watt Gold PSU
1tb Seagate 7200rpm HDD
MSI 6850 Cyclone OC editon

Solid deal on the 6970! Certainly there can be a bottleneck but how much depends on what you're playing. Single player games at 1080p shouldn't be too bad. Multiplayer which is always more CPU intensive could be troublesome.

What FX + motherboard are you considering?

I am sure it will bottleneck, but at least you will be ready for your upgrade!

yes it will limit the full use of the 6970 but for 75 bucks its worth it coming form a 6850.

Honestly I've really had some trouble with picking out a MB for the FX chip, so many of the 990x board have a lot of complaints of overheating and total board failure after a few months. Well thanks for the answers I can't wait to get off work so I can slap this 6970 in there and do some benchmarks =P

Honestly I've really had some trouble with picking out a MB for the FX chip, so many of the 990x board have a lot of complaints of overheating and total board failure after a few months. Well thanks for the answers I can't wait to get off work so I can slap this 6970 in there and do some benchmarks =P

Please do!
I have my guest rig semi itching for an upgrade to a 2gb card mostly for Bf3/Bf4. If you could possibly do a few rounds of Bf3 testing before and after I'd love you loooonnnngg time!

My previous rig bottlenecked my AMD 7870 with a QX6850 @ 3.4Ghz on some games.

The Witcher 2
Battlefield 3
Civ 5 was an insane bottleneck

You will most likely be experiencing the same thing.

Please do!
I have my guest rig semi itching for an upgrade to a 2gb card mostly for Bf3/Bf4. If you could possibly do a few rounds of Bf3 testing before and after I'd love you loooonnnngg time!

I still haven't gotten the chance to pop it in yet, but when I do I'll be sure to post some pics of results. !

Back