6970 power cables?

Motley

2[H]4U
OK, I just got an Asus 6970 and I'm installing it right now. My power 750w power supply only has the 6 pin pci power cables. The box came with one 8 pin connector splitting to two 6pin connectors. Which I have connected.

Do I need another one of those? If so, why didn't they provide two of those 8 pin cable in the box?

And where do I get another 8 pin cable? (if I need one).

Last edited:
are you using the 700W Toughpower in your signature?

As for the power cables, usually you can get away with just a 6-pin in the second slot as the card doesn't actually need the extra power that 8-pins are usually put there to ensure, unless you clock its balls off. Try it with just the 6, it should work fine, just disable overclocking. If it doesn't work, then Asus messed up (Wouldn't be the first time)

Oh thanks! I didn't know I could even connect the 6 pin on the 8 pin connector. I'll try that out and report back.

Thanks for the quick help!

Nope it doesn't work. Getting a warning beep when I turn it on, and the video card has a red light is on.

Guess I'll have to run out and get another 8 pin connector. I can't beleive Asus doesn't provide two, WTF?

Because usually a PSU that only has 6-pin connectors isn't deemed sufficient for a dual 8-pin card. However, this is an oddity because Asus has demanded that dual 8-pin be used (300-375W) on a card that actually doesn't normally break the dual 6-pin standard (150-225W) as nominal load of the 6970 is 180-210W.

You could buy a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter for $5 off ebay, 8 pin is the same as 6 pin but with 2 extra ground pins.

Well... listen to my funny story. I walked into my local Microcenter looking for the adapter cable, and I walked out with a new i7 X58 system!!!

I said, well what the heck, time to upgrade everything, since it's been over two years since the last upgrade. I just got my tax refund.

EVGA X58 FTW3 $279
i7 950 $199
Patriot 6G DDR3 1600 $104
Thermaltake FRIO Cooler $55
Zalman 900w PS $99

Total was $736 + tax

Hopefully I'll get some decent clocks outta this sucker.

FUUUUUUUUU
Why can't there be more Microcenters around? Pretty good deal there.

FUUUUUUUUU
Why can't there be more Microcenters around? Pretty good deal there.

I know, I about fell over when they told me the i7 950 was on sale for $199. I mean, newegg has it for like $280.

I finished building it last night, everything works great. I'm happy with my upgrades. Now it's time to OC this puppy! :D

A 900W Zalman? Didn't realise there was such a thing.

It's nothing to write home about. Like most Zalman products in this day and age, really. That whole company needs to curl up and die -- an entire line of overpriced, underperforming products that survive solely on brand recognition / loyalty from their past glories.

The 850W Zalman I have is excellent. I was very sceptical at first but it's a first class power supply.
Their CPU coolers are pretty weak though.

Oh I'm sorry, it's the 850w Zalman power supply. I don't know what your talking about, but it's very well made.It has a dual heat pipe cooler, wicked looking black chrome finish, modular cables, and silent, and most importantly I have enough power (and cables) for my new 6970, which is what started this whole thing for me.

I know, I about fell over when they told me the i7 950 was on sale for $199. I mean, newegg has it for like $280.

I finished building it last night, everything works great. I'm happy with my upgrades. Now it's time to OC this puppy! :D

It's been $200 since the price cuts, before that the i7 920's were the same. They are not on sale, they are permanent prices as loss leads to drive foot traffic in the store.

Back