6970 Crossfire w/ 700w PSU

hoonu

n00b
Sorry for creating a duplicate thread (in AMD Video Cards)

Just as the title says, I'm looking at adding a second 6970 gpu card to my system. I currently have the following:

PSU: OCZ ModXStream 700w
CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.7GHz
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU: XFX Radeon 6970 (Stock)
RAM: 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black
ODD: Blu Ray Burner

I know that I only have 2 PCI-E ports (RED) but I see there is a user on the guru3d forums who is using this PSU with a Crossfire 6950 setup. I PM'd him over there but I figure I would check here as well. Thanks for all the help.

I cannot recommend adding a second higher-end GPU at all in a system with your particular PSU: It cannot provide the full 700W under realistic conditions. You actually got somewhat cheated when you bought that OCZ ModXStream 700W PSU: It is in reality only about a 600W PSU in realistic operating conditions. Quite a few so-called "reputable" 700W to 850W PSUs from some brands actually provide only 500W to 600W under realistic conditions.

Kinda hard to recommend you doing that with that particular power supply. While the modxstream 500 and 600 watt models are mostly capable of putting out their rated output (for the most part), the 700 watt... not so much. If it was a good 700 watt, then you would probably be fine.

Since it looks like I'm going to have to go that route, Im looking at either the XFX Black Edition 750, 850 or Corsair AX850.

If possible I would like to save as much as possible since this is a impulse upgrade and another psu wasnt really in the cards.

XFX Black Edition 750 watt, that's all you'll really need unless you plan to add another graphics card.

If you're really on a tight budget, go with the TX750 V2. Or maybe even a 650 watt power supply, like the HX650 or TX650 V2.

I'll repost what i said in the other thread since it's a duplicate.

ModXstream Pro 700w? No. 25 or so amps you've got to play with on that rail.

I would suggest an 800w PSU. The Corsair AX750 / 850 would easily up for the job.

Copy of my reply the the other thread.

Damn... I was about to pull the trigger on the xfx 750... but now you guys got me thinking it wont be strong enough.. it can be had for $126 on amazon. The 850 is about 150 shipped from elsewhere. The AX850 is about $190 from amazon. Oh the decisions....

Should I add I also have:
1 external usb 3 western digital passport
1 G930 usb wireless headset
1 Logitech C510 webcam

I'm starting to think I need 850...

I really appreciate the comments btw.

I heard something about the XFX units being recalled. someone can just double check that.

Never heard anything about an XFX recall, and a simple google search should clear up any confusions.

750 watts is plenty for your system, do not worry about it. 6970's use at most 250 watts, typically around 200 watts gaming. Two of them puts that at 400-500 watts. Your CPU will use at most 200 watts, most likely around 150 watts. That puts you at 550-700 watts. 50 watts is enough to supply your motherboard, RAM, hard drives, and fans.

I pulled the trigger on the AX850... I didn't want to sweat it. ugh... quality costs.

Back