6950X: Kraken X61 or Corsair H100i?

Slug

Limp Gawd
I'm currently cooling my i5820K overclocked to 4.3GHz @ 1.31v with the H100i. Load temps max out at about 62C during gaming and long Handbrake encodes. I'm happy with this level of performance.

I have an i6950X on the way. I have optimistic hopes to get to 4.2GHz at ~1.3v. I realize this is a much bigger heat load. I do not have the time nor desire these days to do a custom loop from scratch (kids, work, etc). Is the Kraken X61 likely to improve my temps over the H100i? I would suspect so with the bigger rad and fans. I'm not terribly concerned with fan noise.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.

I don't have either of these, but the H100 series seems to be the standard in terms of dual fan AIO's. They also seem to be the most popular. I really like the x61 and it's RGB lighting, but I constantly read about how buggy the software is. Either way, I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. If it were up to be, I'd go with the H100i because of the software.

Thanks for responding. My plan will be to start with the H100i since I already have it. I'll see how it goes. Although it may be a moot point because I may have gotten scammed by the 6950X seller.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if 10 vs. 4 cores would skew the results one way or the other.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if 10 vs. 4 cores would skew the results one way or the other.

Pretty sure they use the stock fans that comes with the system in those reviews. If it's an AIO with a larger rad it'll likely get skewed slightly towards the larger rad when fans are equal.

Radiator design can change the temp slightly, but radiator size far outweighs other aspects, given the same fans.

I have a H110i on my 5960x. I am at 1.31V and 4.4Ghz... 60-70C. Fans around medium. Might work out for you. At idle it's silent.

Last edited:
You should be fine with the H100i. I'm running the H100i v2 in my sig rig at the given parameters for two months now and it's worked well. However the 6950x will downclock when it pushed very hard like Prime 95 mixed mode in to the 3.5 GHz range. But that is a very demanding benchmark with 10 cores.

Update: So I got a 6900k instead of the 6950x as the original deal fell through. Limited testing so far gets me 4.3GHz at about 1.3v at about 65C with H100i. Very pleased.

Yep. Saw that. Was also looking at the EK predator 240. But so far I'm good. One hour realbench stress test 4.3GHz at 1.34v gets me a steady state temp of 58-60C, 75F ambient room temp. Darn thing is so fast, may not shoot for much higher. I'm happy with the temps so far. And that saves more cash!

I'm looking at getting the Enermax Liqmax II 240 for my 6600k soon. I'm just wondering how much cooler will it be vs my current Noctua NH-U12S. In either case, at least it'll be smaller XD Excluding the radiator..

OP:

I'm running an H110iGT on an i7-6700k and an NZXT Kraken x60 on an i7-4790k. They are both 280mm, dual/quad fan AIOs. However... their are differences. The Kraken has 20mm between fan mounts, the H100iGT has 16mm. These are the two "standard" mounting gaps. See: Your reviews keep missing...

So, your case may or may not support one or the other. (Measure the holes...)

I have replaced both manufacturers' fans with Noctuas, so I can't give an impression of noise.

Also, they have different software. The Corsair software is called "Link"; NZXT has "Cam". Functionally, they are the same, but Cam is less buggy and more intuitive. Link shows more information. I'm a "set it and forget it" guy. I just want to find the sweet spot, save it, and never have to spend my time redoing the same work. I prefer Cam.

YMMV.

Ken

Back