6950 vs 570 vs 570 HD?

adamsad1

n00b
Joined
Oct 17, 2010
Messages
8
I'm looking to replace my 9800 GX2. It's been overheating lately and I can't seem to fix the problem (replaced thermal paste and spayed it out with compressed air), and it's getting a bit old anyway. I'm comparing the XFX 6950 ($240 after rebates), EVGA 570 SC ($330 after rebates, or $320 for the non-SC version), or the EVGA 570 HD ($300 after rebates).

My current setup:

Case: APEVIA X-Navigator, ATX mid-tower 19" x 8" x 21.25", 4x80mm and 1x120mm fans
PSU: Antec 850 Quattro
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 800
Motherboard: EVGA nForce 750i SLI

I'm kind of leaning towards the 570 HD -- I just don't like the thought of venting into the case.
 
Any of those 3 cards is going to be somewhat CPU bottlenecked at 1080p. Going with a 6950 1GB or 560Ti and upgrading some other system components with the extra $$ might yield better overall results.

With those fans, I'd definitely try to get a rear exhaust card.

I lucked out big time when I found this 6950 reference 2gb I'm using right now for $221 shipped as an open box deal at Newegg. If you've got the time hunting for an open box deal might not be a bad idea.
 
Any of those 3 cards is going to be somewhat CPU bottlenecked at 1080p. Going with a 6950 1GB or 560Ti and upgrading some other system components with the extra $$ might yield better overall results.

With those fans, I'd definitely try to get a rear exhaust card.

I lucked out big time when I found this 6950 reference 2gb I'm using right now for $221 shipped as an open box deal at Newegg. If you've got the time hunting for an open box deal might not be a bad idea.

what he said i picked up reference 6950 2bg for $240 and if you fell like mining bitcoins whit it you could pay off part of the card in a month
 
570 for that price is not a good deal. 6950 at those prices is the better deal
 
Thanks. Looks like I'll pick up an 6950. Unfortunately the XFX 6950 is a 1GB and not a reference card. Unfortunately there don't seem to be a lot of reference options out there, but I can get a MIS 6950 2G reference for $285, which is still 50 bucks less than a 570 reference. I'll keep an eye out for an open box though.
 
I just picked up this reference HIS HD6950 2Gb and from the reveiws on Newegg the card unlocks the shaders to the HD6970 so it's a darn good deal for $285 with free shipping ..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...k=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3
Thanks bro ;)
cJZO1U
 
I just picked up this reference HIS HD6950 2Gb and from the reveiws on Newegg the card unlocks the shaders to the HD6970 so it's a darn good deal for $285 with free shipping ..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...k=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3

I think you just took the last one. :p :(

I can't seem to find another 6750 reference in stock (I'll just blame Bitcoin, lol). Any thoughts on whether how well my case would handle a non-reference design? (note that the 120mm exhaust fan sits directly above the graphics card slot. Also my cpu cores idle around 45 - 52c, and under 100% load stress testing using Intel Burn Test hit 60 - 65c).
 
Get a 6950 1gb. I did for $220 and play at 1920x1080 and max out every game I play....
 
Well, due to a lack of reference 6950s (in either 1 or 2 gb models), I opted to go with a xfx 6970. $320 after rebates plus it comes with dirt 3, so it's still a pretty good deal. I would have liked to have gone with a 6950, but I'm just not comfortable blasting almost 80c air into my case, without spending a bunch on a cooling system.

I had never heard of bitcoins before yesterday. Interesting. Assuming the market doesn't tank out I think I'll mine with the 6970 and see what I get. Glad I found out about it before ordering an nvidia card. Six months no payments with bill me later - maybe the card will almost pay for itself before then. ;-)
 
Looks like there was only 1 left after i picked mine up.. I had to go with the 2Gb model myself as i have Eyefinity and just sold my two 5850's which there 1Gb ram was my limit factor at 5760 x 1080 ..so the 6950 should really shine in this area..
 
Newegg has a reference one for $219

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/HIS-Radeon-HD-6950-2-GB-GDDR5-PCI-E-2-1-Video-Card-/170658966909?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27bc112d7d#ht_4627wt_1140"]HIS Radeon HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.1 Video Card | eBay[/ame]
 
Back
Top