6950 eyefinity multiple displayports

Tiporaro

[H]ard|Gawd
So - here's the situation. I have a xfx 6950 2gb currently, running 3 u2412 monitors eyefinity and running into the common "flicker" issue on the one monitor that is hooked through dvi instead of displayport. Most of what I read said that the only real solution was having all 3 hooked up through the same method, ie displayport - and thus needing a card that had more than the 2 display ports that are found on most cards.

I had planned on getting a second card for xfire anyhow with this resolution, but my question now is there is only 1 card with over 2 miniDP's on it that I see available on newegg and amazon - the Asus one that's triple wide

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Is this really the only one available right now? Are there other/better alternatives?

Have you tried making the DVI monitor the primary monitor? I believe sapphire has a Flex edition that may help in these situations.

Pic of Sapphire Flex 6950

2.jpg

Here is a interesting read about the technology of the Flex card http://www.techpowerup.com/142643/S...950-FleX-Simplifies-Eyefinity-for-Gamers.html

In a nutshell it has a chip that allows for it to run the dvi and display port simotaneously and independently. Some have reported the tearing that occurs when you use display port and dvi in combination does not happen on this card.

On your current card in the menatime I would try the other dvi port just for shits and giggles.

in theory, we're supposed to start seeing display port hubs that allow you to run multiple display port monitors off of one display port on your video card (this technology is called "Multi-Stream Transport". This might be a route worth looking into.

Thanks for the replies. I'm already planning on getting another card for xfire regardless, so I just want to take the most sure fire way to make sure there's no tearing, and the only 100% solution I've heard is to use a card with 3+ dp's+. Given that I'm buying another card regardless, that's no problem, but just want to know my options. I'll definitely check into that sapphire one.

If you're getting another card for xfire anyway - check out the Asus DirectCU II cards -- they have 4x DP ports each. I'm running two of those in crossfirex right now and have no issues running 3x DP monitors + 1 extended DVI. They are triple slot - so make sure you have room (about 2.5 slots).

IMG_0547.jpg

Those are in fact the cards I was looking at. Have you had any issues with the triple slot card being pressed up against each other?

Back