6950 and CPU speed

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
I have a 6950 2GB, 6GB of RAM, and an i7 920 (2.67GHz, currently). Will the 6950 do much better if I overclock the i7? If so, how much overclock is needed to make a difference (3GHz, 3.8, etc)?

Thanks guys.

Always a overclocked processor will improve the performance with any graphic card thats a fact.. The 920 scale very well in their OC so making it in the line of 3.2 - 3.5ghz its more than enough without push too much your chip and not hard to make it stable for 24/7 keeping comfortable work temps ... And you will definetly notice a big change on your games performance...

I agree and most of those 920's were good overclockers. I think you'll get a decent and noticeable gain out of it.

depending on stepping a lot of those chips went to 4 pretty easy

the later d0 tend to wall near 4.2

Always a overclocked processor will improve the performance with any graphic card thats a fact.. The 920 scale very well in their OC so making it in the line of 3.2 - 3.5ghz its more than enough without push too much your chip and not hard to make it stable for 24/7 keeping comfortable work temps ... And you will definetly notice a big change on your games performance...
no thats not a fact. if he had real slow card then having a faster cpu would do nothing. a 6950 will certainly be held back form its full potential but in more games than not there will be no notable difference at all from overclocking the cpu. really just depends on the game but it will be his gpu that will be the limitation in most cases if trying to crank the settings in newer games. but yeah of course he should still oc the cpu though to get the most out of all his games and fully utilized his card.

Back