6870 Stock Overclock card or Overclock stock 6870 myself?

richtea

n00b
Basically I'm looking at getting either the XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan or the XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan Black Edition.

The later is pre-overclocked. The question is, could I easily overclock the non overclocked one to the same settings as the overclocked one without any hassle?

Thanks

Last edited:
Usually the overclock can be done in software in the ATI Control Panel. Really the only concern I can think of would be factory overclocked cards usually are tested at that rate while your stock card isn't in case there's any issues with the chipset at the higher speeds. So there's a possibility the chip is a little better quality.

Personally my 5870 is OC'd and its been stable on everything except for BC2 at times. Although my BC2 problem is looking to be sound card related more then video card these days.

From what I know, most HD6870s can reach 1ghz on the core with some voltage twwaking.

As you can see in my sig, mine is sitting @ 1004mhz on the core with 1.274v, it's a bit high and to counter the high temps I have to use custom fan settings to keep it cool, but I don't mind.

Save a few coins and do the OC yourself :)

From what I know, most HD6870s can reach 1ghz on the core with some voltage twwaking.

As you can see in my sig, mine is sitting @ 1004mhz on the core with 1.274v, it's a bit high and to counter the high temps I have to use custom fan settings to keep it cool, but I don't mind.

Save a few coins and do the OC yourself :)

i agree. just messed with my 6870 last night for the first time and it easily hit 1000 core with 1225mv and 1225 memory clock and was able to bench f1 2010 continuously without a hitch and also did a few runs of heaven. however, i havent done any marathon gaming sessions at those clocks.

I have a xfx refrence 6870 and its a good card for the money. I bought mine for $140 shipped on ebay and got the 2nd lifetime waranty. So not a bad deal at all.

Anyways on stock voltage I can reach about 960 core and 1200 memory with no issues. Just runs a little toasty. I wanna see what speeds I can hit if I upped the voltage. Just worried about temps, I dont wanna run my fan at 100% ha.

Back