6870 Eyefinity heat problems

agentdomo

Limp Gawd
I've got my Asus 6870 Direct CU connected to 2 15" vga monitors and 1 DVI-D 21.5" (Syncmaster 214T)

Obviously this config doesn't normally work so I use SoftTH. My idle temps are 44C and load goes up to 80C which often leads me to crash. I have a pretty storm scout with a H60 blowing extremely loud and a 1800 rpm side fan blowing at the 6870 (stirs hot air to leave through the top 140MM fan). Is there any way I can cool it even more without watercooling?

I dont think you have a heat problem. 80C is actually isn't that bad for GPUs. Have you tried down clocking your vram and gpu to see if that has any affect on it?

Do you have your CPU overclocked? RAM overclocked?

Where the H60 is hooked up, is there a fan grill or a built in grill on the case? If so, that is going to cut back on the airflow by at least 50% and also cause it to be louder then wihout a grill.

The same goes for any and all case fans you are using.

As for the GPU, have you tried using MSI afterburner to set a manual fan profile? I am betting with just a single card and Direct CU cooler, you should be able to drop load temps down to around 70-75c under full GPU load.

When just playing games on my overclocked crossfired 6870s, I never even hit 70c on the hottest card.

Back