• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6870 Crossfire newb questions

c3k

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 8, 2007
Messages
2,331
I own a 6870 ( Gigabyte GV-R687D5-1GD-B ) and I'm thinking about getting another 6870 for crossfire. However, my specific card is now discontinued.

Can ANY 6870 be hooked up to another 6870 in crossfire? If I get 2 cards set up in crossfire, does only one get used when crossfire isn't supported by a game? If so, which can I specify which card is "prime"?

It's been over a decade since I've done multi-GPU's. (Voodoo II, anyone? Those were the days.)

Thanks,
Ken
 
The top card is usually the main card. I think you can change that setting in CCC, but I'm not sure, I haven't ran anything in Crossfire.

You can use a different branded or even different clocked card as long as it's a 6870. Just make the slower clocked card the main one in your configuration, so that the faster one downclocks to match the slower.
 
Back
Top