6870 Audio and Dolby

r0b0ts

n00b
Joined
Dec 16, 2011
Messages
9
This is a cross post from the Graphics Card section:

This is a graphics card question, technically, but it has to do with how the 6870 processes audio. I've searched around but can't find the answer to this so any help would be great.

I currently have a 6870 (two actually) and am outputting through hdmi to my monitor. I tested out the sound through the monitor's speakers and everything works fine.

What I'm wondering is if it is possible to process dolby surround on the card, run audio from the 6870 to the monitor over hdmi and out the headphone out of the monitor into a pair of headphones - keeping the dolby surround working correctly. Will this actually work? Does the dolby HD on the card translate through the chain and into the headphones correctly?

Also, how is the overall quality of the 6870's audio? Is it better than the realtech onboard sound?

I'm new to this crazy world of sound through a graphics card so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks,

r0b0ts
 
While it is true that you can output the digital information required for 7.1 channel surround via that HDMI port, it is meant to plug into some kind of receiver that can then translate that into the proper channels/outputs for surround speakers. You cannot get surround via just a 3.5'' jack into your monitor. If you want to do that, you need a sound card that can emulate dolby headphones stereo surround (such as the Xonar). You would then set your primary audio device in your windows 7 control panel to the sound card and plug your stereo headphone into the sound card.
 
If you want people to judge your on board audio versus from a 6870, you might want to tell us what your motherboard is.
 
Makes sense, hybridfrog.

I have an asrock x58 extreme with realtek audio, but I currently use a logitech virtual 7.1 headset.

I'm asking because I'm considering upgrading to some higher quality headphones and have considered every which way I can rearrange my setup to send a virtual surround dolby signal. Of course, the obvious route would be to purchase a xonar dg (or better) sound card and go from there, but I figured it was worth seeing what my current setup can do.

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.
 
What do you mean by "dolby surround?" The trademark for Dolby Surround is a 2.0 signal that is designed to be matrixed by Pro Logic DSP.
 
Back
Top