• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6870/6850 OC Results

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
11,556
Post your 6870/6850 results here. I want to see what everyone else is getting. Test Heaven Bench along with Vantage.

Heaven Benchmark
Score: 1008
FPS: 40.0
http://i53.tinypic.com/5zgxdx.png

CPU: Intel i7 4.2GHz
RAM: 1603MHz
GPU: ASUS 6870
Driver: 10.10 (Non-Hotfix)
Core: 1040 (15.5% OC)
Memory: 1160
Volts: 1.35v
Temp: 79C Max @ 60% Fan

Any clock beyond this I started to get serious red dot artifacts and didn't want to risk damaging the card. Need more volts.:p

Used ASUS Smart Doctor to increase the volts, then closed it out and saved the voltage setting.
Opened MSI Afterburner and OC'd from there.
Modded Afterburner Config File to increase core clock beyond 1000MHz.
Thanks to the people that recommended this technique.

I like Heaven better because it's DX11 instead of 3DVantage which is DX10. I tried running the trial version of 3DVantage but I can't post my results to the Internet, I keep getting an error.
When I get 3DVantage I'll post the results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not a test of which card as the fastest tessellation i.e. Nvidia cards.
It's for AMD owners to see how the 6800 series can OC with stability.
 
Last edited:
^^^^ Nice

Your 6850 OC beats my 6870 at stock speeds by 1fps. In AvP, you're 1fps slower than a stock 6870

Here is my AvP bench at the same settings above:
AvP D3D11 Benchmark Report
==========================

**************************************************
* Report Created: 2010-10-31 @ 06:54:07
**************************************************
* Executable Build: V1.03, Apr 19 2010
**************************************************

*DX11 Hardware Detected*

Using Default Video Settings:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Texture Quality: 2
Shadow Quality: 3
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
SSAO: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
DX11 Tessellation: ON
DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
DX11 MSAA Samples: 1


Benchmark Summary:

Number of frames: 5599
Average Frame Time: 18.7ms
Average FPS: 53.4

Use command-line option '-logframetime' to report performance frame-by-frame.
 
Last edited:
^^^^ Nice

Your 6850 OC beats my 6870 at stock speeds by 1fps. In AvP, you're 1fps slower than a stock 6870

Here is my AvP bench at the same settings above:

he use vista also.
might account for difference.
I get 790points with w7 64bit 950/1120

qo65g9.jpg
 
That's odd. His card should be doing at least 35FPS in Heaven v2.1 default with that OC.

Flopper, make sure you let it loop once before you bench it.

In any case, it looks like you scored a solid 6870, World. 1040 on the core, eh?
 
Last edited:
Flopper,

Also try setting 850|1120 from the CCC and benching it. To me, it looks like your full OC is not being applied or sticking for whatever the reason.

If you get the same score, that's what's up.
 
Flopper,

Also try setting 850|1120 from the CCC and benching it. To me, it looks like your full OC is not being applied or sticking for whatever the reason.

If you get the same score, that's what's up.

used 10.10c hotfix drivers.
shifted to 10.10 whql
tried everything with 10.10c hitfix but no go so I figured maybe the whql was different.
same settings

n627on.jpg
 
10.10 is faster than the Hotfix drivers by 4fps in Heaven. I figured this out yesterday.
That's why I posted my driver version to see if someone figured it out, lol.
 
That's odd. His card should be doing at least 35FPS in Heaven v2.1 default with that OC.

Flopper, make sure you let it loop once before you bench it.

In any case, it looks like you scored a solid 6870, World. 1040 on the core, eh?

Yep. It looks good so far. I'm wondering how much more I can get out of it once AB updates. Hopefully I can lower the voltage then......I don't think he has the original 10.10 drivers and his CPU is not OC'd, two huge bottlenecks.

I figured out the two loop process in Heaven too. I've gotten an extra1fps avg. by doing that.
It has to warm up or something.

HD6850 is a monster.

Without any voltage adjustments on over clocked HD6850.

1GHZHD6850.jpg


1GHZHD6850syntheticBenchies.jpg



From my OC HD5770 vs. OC HD6850 thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1557022&highlight=HD6850

That 6850 is a beast on the memory OC. The 6870 is not as good. The highest I've seen was 1185.
 
Well best of luck with it, World :)

The big reason I've found to warm the Heaven bench is min FPS. Sometimes you may get one or two hard stutters on the first loop that will disappear the second time around.

The first time I ran it I got an 11FPS min due to one hard pause. The second loop it disappeared and my min was 21.
 
Last edited:
Just bumped mine up to 950/1140 still stock voltage, Ran one pass of Unigine. Score jumped to 760, FPS max went up about 3 and FPS about 1, min stayed the same at 15.3.
 
Just played UT3 for about an hour straight with HD6850 on Windows XP SP3 over clocked to 1010/1250. i7-930 was at 4.2GHZ. Looked and played great in DX9.

Next upgrade for over clocking this card would be an improved heat sink. Great video card.
 
tried it, but my card wont do 1ghz even on 1.3v.
stable at 950 with 1.25v, good enough though ;)
 
My card is F'n weird. It does 945|1150 stock voltage but won't do 990 even with 1.300 mV dropped on it.

I think I am sticking with 945. Volting it up for like +30 on the core doesn't seem worth it.

The beta Afterburner wasn't returning my 6850 to 2d idle clocks when I hit reset. I had to reboot. This tool does that fine.

TriXX sets 943, the next bump is 948. 948 is just a little too much for stock volts with this card. Afterburner does dial in 945, and I'm not too worried about 2MHz between it and TriXX. I'd rather not have to bother with rebooting to return to 2d clocks.

The 6850 was a nice upgrade for my old Ph II 940 box. That rig had an HD 4850.

The tool works fine for me with the official 10.10s. No issues.
 
Last edited:
Wow. And here I thought those 900Mhz overclocks from initial reviews were pretty damn good. Barts could be the Phenom II X2 BE for video cards, all we need is an AIB to start forgetting to fuse off the extra pipes.
 
I'd like to see some more 6870 results. Only had a bit of time to play with my Visiontek one, but it runs 985/1135. Will have to take a look at the Trixx utility when I get home today to see if we can crack 1000 on the core.
 
I've not done much with my Sapphire 6870 so far but I have managed to get it to 980/1180 stable on stock voltage. I'm planning on installing and messing with Trixx later on to see if I can crack 1000/1200.
 
tried it, but my card wont do 1ghz even on 1.3v.
stable at 950 with 1.25v, good enough though ;)

Migh be heat sink is not seated right or thermal paste is not good. These cards are very touchy hot when increasing voltage. XFX HD6850 has a decent heat sink and that is why I thimk mine over clocks well. I think a good heatsink wil help oc out.
 
please tell me trixx will work on 5850s, i wonder if it will work on my xfx card too.

update: using trixx to oc my 5850s one sapphire one xfx causes my sys to freeze.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
will that OC 5850s? I'm gonna have to try that out.
 
please tell me trixx will work on 5850s, i wonder if it will work on my xfx card too.

update: using trixx to oc my 5850s one sapphire one xfx causes my sys to freeze.

Try this.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4178603&postcount=100

ATi have a driver power management feature than turns off your secondary card when idle. If you try to apply an OC via TriXX with one card in that state your system may freeze.

The short of it is, you need to disable ULPS when OCing Crossfire with TriXX. (Set to 0) Supposedly they're working a feature into their drivers to allow users to disable it via the CCC. If you see something like "disable Crossfire power management" in new revisions of the CCC that will likely be it. Then you would untick that feature before using TriXX etc.

After you change the reg value reboot.
 
Last edited:
thanks!

it worked trixx works!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top