680I fan header and network leds not working.

Shoop

Limp Gawd
I just installed this motherboard into a case and have everything setup and working smoothly. I am having an issue with the exhast fan header located right behind the audio inputs on the motherboard. I have hooked numerous fans up to it and none of them work; however, when the computer shuts down the fan starts to spin a little and then shuts off. Anyone else having this problem?

Also, the green leds on the network port do not work at all. Only the yellow work which accoding to the manual means that i am only getting 10Mbs but windows shows I'm getting 100Mbs. Anyone having problems with the green leds not working?

If someone could please help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm hoping there is just something in the bios I missed that might get atleast the fan working.

Thank you

Funny you posted this. I have two 680i EVGA motherboards (building one for me and one for a friend). I just noticed that the same fan header doesn't work on both boards. So, that's pretty well confirmed. :)

The green LED does work on both ports on both boards, however. Though, I suspect that they are only lighting up because I'm connected to a GB switch. The manual may be in error and the green may only come up when GB speeds are detected.

All my other ones work as well, but that one just behind the I/O stuff. On both motherboards.

I wonder if maybe the newest BIOS fixes it? Haven't insalled the P20 BIOS yet.

H

interesting for me also. i love this board. all 7 (8?) of my fan headers work, as do think blinky things. not that i would ever see them. i dont get it. i ordered this board day one and it boot up first time and i have had not a single issue. i am not thrilled with ntune but nvid monitor works fine. is the p20 bios the one thats dated 11/10? because i downloaded a newer bios from evga the other day, but i cant find it referred to as the "p20" bios on the .txt or the website or on my post screen. then again, the post screen goes by pretty quick and i dont see too tough anyway.

I haven't installed the latest bios on my board yet but I don't think that a bios update will enable these to work. I just find it ridiculous that these boards are going for as much as $259 and they have issues. If this were the asus striker that cost $400 doing this I would be pissed.

I'm waiting to update my bios because I'm getting my other 8800gtx in today and I have heard there are issues with sli and x-fi cards. I will update the bios if I have issues with that.

Shoop said:
I haven't installed the latest bios on my board yet but I don't think that a bios update will enable these to work. I just find it ridiculous that these boards are going for as much as $259 and they have issues. If this were the asus striker that cost $400 doing this I would be pissed.

I'm waiting to update my bios because I'm getting my other 8800gtx in today and I have heard there are issues with sli and x-fi cards. I will update the bios if I have issues with that.
Ummm. . it's just a fan header.

And it's actually quite possible that the BIOS can fix the problem considering the BIOS controls the voltage to these headers in order to allow for "Cool and Quiet"-type operation. The fact that the first guy reports that the fan starts to spin up as the computer shuts down also indicates that connections are there, but something is off in the "logic" for the fan header.

I'm sending my video cards back. So I don't have time to dink with it. However, both these boards have been able to run C2D 6600s for over 24 hours at full load. So, if the fan header is the only problem. . . even if it can't be fixed, I don't think it's anything to get too upset about.

A motherboard doesn't suddenly go through twice as much QA just because it costs more.

Edit: Just hastily flashed my BIOS. The fan header is still dead. But I think there's still hope for it in the future. :p

vanilla_guerilla said:
interesting for me also. i love this board. all 7 (8?) of my fan headers work, as do think blinky things. not that i would ever see them. i dont get it. i ordered this board day one and it boot up first time and i have had not a single issue. i am not thrilled with ntune but nvid monitor works fine. is the p20 bios the one thats dated 11/10? because i downloaded a newer bios from evga the other day, but i cant find it referred to as the "p20" bios on the .txt or the website or on my post screen. then again, the post screen goes by pretty quick and i dont see too tough anyway.
The BIOS version is listed towards the top of the screen during POST. You can hit the "pause|break" key during POST to freeze the screen (space bar a couple times will undo this). It's the last three "digits". . . should say either P19 or P20. If you've flashed, it'll be P20.

Back