• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

6800's or 7800gtx......

jtaing858

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
133
hey...

i need help..i cant decide either:
6800gt sli
6800ultra sli
or 1 7800gtx
im planing on not upgradin netime soon after that im buildin a ne rig please give me feedback on wut to get.... im thinkin a/b a san diego core but not sure wuts worth the money...im thinkin a/b watercooling and OCin not hardcore OCin

so i wanna get:
ASUS A8N-SLi Premium or Deluxe
3700+ san diego
have ram already
36 raptor and other hd
and im not sure wut PSU to get either

for watercooling:
have not clue wut to get...i wanna spend like 200-250 on it want dual 120mm fan for rad or dual 80
 
If yoiu can get Ultra sli then why consider Gt sli.


I would just wait, this generation has not impressed me that much.

maybe some others can help.
 
1X 7800GTX (thats' what i would do) that way you are faster than 2X 6800U in SLI, and you can possibly add another later (if you can afford it) :D :cool:
 
do u think thatll have another price drop or do u think its set at 600 till the R520 comes out if it dose ne time soon....

also for the mobo..which one?
 
I thin it will hold very steady, because nVIDA knows people wan't it. Also, this means plenty of 6800 Ultras on sale form the early SLI adopters - they will be trying to unload them in forums and on ebay as soon as they can and they can't charge new prices for them.
 
ya..thats wut i was thinking a/b getting 6800ultras sli thats if i find a good deal on the forum....but now im thinkin that i might just get the 7800gtx because it cost less if i got dual ultras.

wut are the best brands out for 7800gtx?
 
I'd pay slight premium for BFG. Awsome name, lifetime warrenty, 24/7 support, and a resident representive here on [H]
 
im gonna go BFG and wait a year or 2 to get another 7800gtx

wut mobo should iget>?
 
Go 7800 and get a DFI lanparty. Look at my profile. I am very happy with everything that I have.
 
Yes, it is good. I just prefer the DFI because of all the OC options. If you do not plan to OC or OC much then the Asus will do you just fine. If you want total control then get the DFI.
 
Definitely a 7800. It will in general cost you less than SLI 6800 GT or U. The only evenly priced option is a XFX 6800GT on newegg that has a $50 mail-in rebate only for the 4th weekend! Other than that it is about $700 for GT sli, and $800-$900 for Ultra sli. Plus, at high res and settings, the 7800 will perform better than GT sli for sure, and maybe ultra sli. The XFX 7800 is clocked at 450/1250, quick close to the out-of-stock BFG 460/1300. Out of stock on the egg at least.

If you want about a $250 water cooling system, look at the thread in my sig. I outline what is (imho) a really good price/performance watercooling system. You may have to cut a few corners to fit a pump into it without going over $250. As you will notice if you read it, I have omitted buying a pump online since I want a Danner Mag for cheap, and only pet stores and such sell it cheap, and nowhere online (cept maybe e-bay, but I don't trust e-bay).

In fact, take a good look at my computer setup too! It's in the link in my sig. I am planning a DFI lanparty sli-dr too, you will want memory that can take advantage of the high voltage that DFI gives you on ram. You'll also need a 24 pin psu. I have one. The Seasonic 600 thingy in that other guy's sig is really good too, but a little more expensive. You can go with the Mushkin redline, or OCZ ___ (i forget the actual name of the stuff, but it goes up to 3.xV too), or twinMOS SP as I have chosen.

good luck.
 
Back
Top