• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6800GT's apparently LOVE watercooling!!

Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
722
Well, at least mine does. I just got my XFX dual dvi 6800GT from newegg. It actually overclocked fairly well out of the box. The max I could get was about 420/1100 which I was very happy with.

I couldn't stand the sound from the fan as I have an almost silent computer and so I got a swiftech mcw50 waterblock to mount on it. I just wanted to quiet the thing down and didn't expect much more of an overclock...but just playing around with it last night I am easily stable at 440/1150. I tried these settings because my coolbits "auto-detect" would give me about 405/1070 or so with stock cooling. After putting my waterblock on coolbits gave me an auto-detect of 428/1160. I thought that this must be messed up but decided to try 440/1150 anyways...just to see. I was VERY suprised to see my card finish benching without any errors. I'm sure I could go higher...just haven't tried yet. I ran a 3dmark03 and got 12,979.

I haven't even done the BIOS volt mod either...

I'll post some pics when I get home (I'm at work now). I wonder how much higher this little guy will go...

****EDIT: I added some pics. Scroll down to see:)
 
Very nice... very nice. I'm running 428/1110 with air cooling...

/jealousness
 
bobn4burton said:
I haven't even done the BIOS volt mod either...

with scores like yours and with the card running as good as it is, why would you bother messing with the BIOS at all?
 
ozziegn said:
with scores like yours and with the card running as good as it is, why would you bother messing with the BIOS at all?
Apparently you forgot what forums you were reading.
 
ozziegn said:
with scores like yours and with the card running as good as it is, why would you bother messing with the BIOS at all?
:eek: because it's fun.... and in this case its even easy.

It probably runs a good 20C cooler than with the stock heatsink as well. You really dont get the full benefit of the watercooling without upping the juice. I wouldnt go through the trouble of watercooling my cpu to run it at stock v. It's the same. The ultra runs +.1v higher by default anyway so there's room to go before I'd even consider it a true overvolt.

If my stupid maze4 would fit I'd probably be doing the same within a week or two of getting the card. My 9700np was voltage crippled too and that took effort & practicing to rectify but this is just too easy.
 
oh yeah...I forgot to post temps :eek:

With stock cooling I was getting about 57/82 idle/load.
With my watercooling I now get a nice 42/50 idle/load :D

So watercooling made a pretty big difference...like 32 degrees C underload:)
 
ozziegn said:
with scores like yours and with the card running as good as it is, why would you bother messing with the BIOS at all?

Cause its the [H]ard thing to do :p
 
bobn4burton said:
oh yeah...I forgot to post temps :eek:

With stock cooling I was getting about 57/82 idle/load.
With my watercooling I now get a nice 42/50 idle/load :D

So watercooling made a pretty big difference...like 32 degrees C underload:)

Doing the BIOS vMod on my 6800nu, I got it to 414 on the core with water, so I'd say you've got some room to go on yours. Course, I'm still only 43C under load (cooling tower++).
 
i use mcw50

depending on the driver set and weather outside i can usually autodetect 430/1180 and then tweak it to 445/1200 until it starts to choke from not enough juice.

mine is an evga but it needs to be rmad the stupid on chip video processor is doa, 100% cpu ut a64 2.6 6800gt shouldnt studder playing a divx movie.
 
What are you using to cool the Ram on your video card, since the Swiftech Waterblock only cools the GPU??? Just curious, as I have the same card and was interested in getting the block for my GPU as well.

What kind of Radiator do you use, and what other devices are you watercooling (CPU, Chipset, hard drives, etc), just curious? Also, how much extra heat does it put on your watercooling setup?
 
XFX GT.... I'm currently running 415/1200 with no worries at all, full load temp is only around 70deg C......

The card still has more overclock in it.... i just don't need any more speed so i haven't bothered finding the limits... tried 415/1200 straight up and works a charm so i haven't touched it since :)
 
the ram is fine without cooling. i havent even gotten around to putting heatsinks on.

http://sidewindercomputers.com/

is where i buy almost all my stuff.

i think the 1 fan radiators are nearly as good but tons easier to mount and maintain. i have a 2x120mm radiator, and it has been lots more trouble then its worth.
 
Powerhouse2k said:
What are you using to cool the Ram on your video card, since the Swiftech Waterblock only cools the GPU??? Just curious, as I have the same card and was interested in getting the block for my GPU as well.

What kind of Radiator do you use, and what other devices are you watercooling (CPU, Chipset, hard drives, etc), just curious? Also, how much extra heat does it put on your watercooling setup?

As for cooling the ram...it actually worked out perfectly because I could just keep the stock heatsink that covers the ram chips on. The heatsink over the gpu is separate.

I use a 1975 ford bronco heater core for my radiator and I only am cooling my cpu and now gpu in my loop. The extra heat doesn't seem to affect my loop much at all. Of course the heatercore does an excellent job of cooling.
 
Here are some pics of my video card...

6800GT_Water_1.jpg

6800GT_Water_2.jpg

6800GT_Water_3.jpg

6800GT_Water_4.jpg

6800GT_Water_5.jpg
 
Should be titled, every video card loves watercooling. :p

I have a GF2 Ultra that did 345Mhz on the core, with a MCW50. The same block on a 9800 Pro did 480Mhz core, both cards without mods.

My GT only does 440Mhz core on water. I tried 450Mhz, but it said it failed the test, but passed at 445Mhz. It was a barbly mess when I ran 2003 though. But at 440Mhz its stable, and artifact free.

It seems most GT's Ive seen stop at 440, or very close. Which leads me to believe it needs more power, and/or two molexs.

I havent tried the ram yet, its watercooled also.
 
Know what? Didn't even *think* about mounting the MCW50 that way on the 6800. I followed the Swiftech directions (essentially, mounting the other direction, springs and nuts on bottom of card), and it was a pain in the ASS. I mean, there are NO WORDS for how hard that bastard was to get on!

Still, mounted solidly now, and with decent overclock to boot (see sig).
 
Back
Top