• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6800GT worth the extra $$?

DistributedBen

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
227
I want to upgrade my aging Ti4200, so I can play BF2 and run my existing games (HL2, etc) with higher detail settings. The problem I'm having is deciding whether or not it’s worth the extra $100-150 or so between the 6600GT/6800 and 6800GT on an AGP system. Is the plain 6800 a better option than the 6600GT?

I usually play at 1024x768, but would like to start playing more at 1280. I would like the ability to play at higher resolutions in case I get lucky and stumble across a widescreen LCD.

My current setup is fairly new, a Dell 400SC with 2.4 P4 HT and a gig of ram. I plan to add a GB more probably when I get the card. It would be nice to have PCI express so this would be a non-issue, but I don't see myself making a big upgrade until dual core chips come down in price. So I think this system can last me at least another year and a half. Would my existing setup just bottleneck the 6800GT?

So, would there be a noticeable difference between the performances in the two cards? If I can get more mileage out of my current setup with the 6800GT I won't mind spending a little more. I'm not too serious a gamer and have usually only bought cards in the “bang for the buck” $200 price range.

So if anyone has any recommendations they would be much appreciated. My gut tells me the plain 6800 is the best way to go since the eVGA version is only $189. But I don't know if there are games coming that will take advantage of the 6800GT's advantages.

Advice on brands would be helpful too, especially info on the quieter models. From what I've read BFG and eVGA are some of the best, but I don't know how much noise they make.
 
Thanks, I didn't know about the fanless one.

If I went with the plain 6800, would the gaming be decent at 1680x1050? These Dell deals on the 2005FPW are so tempting. ;)
 
I'm sure it will be ok, all depends on the settings you'll be able to pull out. If you can wait untill Sunday I'll let you know, as I have a 2005FPW and a 6800GT on the way.
 
I went from a GF4 Ti 4200 as well to a Leadtek 6800GT and it's been a dream. CS:S runs better with all the graphics cranked on the 6800GT than the GF4 Ti could pull out with graphics on low. :p needless to say, i'm happy. I run all my games at 1280x1024 because of my monitor. The 256 DDR3 is most likely going to be your best friend at the res you plan on running. 128 plain DDR probably isn't going to cut it for modern games at higher settings.

 
I think I'm going to go with the eVga 6800GT. I'm not in a hurry to purchase, so I'll wait and see if there is a price drop in the next week or so to try to same some money.
 
I had one 6600GT, it was cool....I added another one, and its freaking sick. Its the equivalent of a 6800GT more or less, so ide say go for the 6800GT.
 
Good choice with eVGA. Do NOT get the Gigabyte card. I have literally burned myself on that thing's heatsink.
 
I have a bfg 6800gt and bf2 plays great at 1280X1024 with everything turned all the way up, I bought mine back when they were $400 and I've been happy with it ever since(hoping to move on to a 7800gtx soon tho, but not really looking forward to upgrading to pci-e at the same time)
 
Wow, that card is cheap! My 2005FPW just arrived I would really LOVE to play the newer games in 1680x1050 on all settings mazed on games like BF2, HL2, Doom 3... you know, the best games out there. Do you think the 6800 would be able to handle all that? I would go for the GT model, but that's a big price jump and I am currently saving up for an 20" ACD for use on my PowerBook.
 
eVGA would be a good choice, but the Leadtek would be better if you have the room. I idle around 53C and haven't be able to exit a game fast enough to see it go above 65C.

 
Wow, is there anyone who doesn't have a 2005FPW? :D

I was considering getting a 19in LCD, but these 2005FPW's are so cheap now that its hard to not want to make the jump. If you get a good one you are set and pay about what a top 19inch would cost you. Are they still using the same panel as the Apple 20" Cinema's?

Heck, they are even running a P4 3GHz Dimension 9100 system with a 2005FPW for $850 AR. Might be a good deal for those who don't want to build something and want to move to PCI-E.
 
One more question. Has anyone had trouble running a high-end card like the 6800GT in with the 400SC 250W power supply. From everything I read when I got it, it can handle quite a fair amount of output, but I don't know have much power these cards would take.

All that is in my PC now is two hard drives, DVD burner and the soundcard and TV Tuner plus the Ti4200. Never had a problem.

Luckily, it is a standard ATX so if need be I can replace it.
 
If you're in the market for a 6800 GT, I'd go with the card that LunchboX recommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195R

Better hurry and grab one while they still have some though, as they are in and out of them. It's refurbished, but DRASTICALLY cheaper than the retail ones and work great. I've personally got a BFG 6800 GT OC that works flawlessly and would recommend going with a BFG Tech 6800 GT OC if you're just stuck on getting a brand new card. If you don't mind a refurb and looking for a deal on the 6800GT's, go with the Leadtek card linked above, just picked one up for my dad and it's worked great for him.
 
Kilmer said:
If you're in the market for a 6800 GT, I'd go with the card that LunchboX recommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195R
....

I picked one up a couple weeks ago (for a bit less $) and it's an amazing card - I've got mine running at 420 / 1120 with zero issues and everything plays smooth - and I'm still running an AXP 2800+ .. okay, that's OC'd to 2.27Ghz.

But this LeadTek card is excellent, even refurb... From what I heard, they had a bad batch, fixed them and gave NewEgg a call to move them. I contacted LeadTek and the refurbs have a full warranty through them. Pretty spiffy.

Peace,
Tim
 
If you have agp, don't rule out the 6800 NU. Remember, you can sometimes unlock them to have 16/6 pipelines/shaders (from 12/5), same as a GT/ultra!

With an overclock, you just might hit near GT status for $100-150! And you can always RMA if the particular 6800 you get doesn't work.
 
You may be able to up your fps by enableing the extra shaders on the 6800NU, but the extra 128mb of ram on the 6800GT really helps out in BF2 and most likely many future games. The GT is just more future-proof than the NU. IMO.

 
Back
Top