6800gt still a good buy?

SolitaryTurnip

Weaksauce
I remember the 6800gt seemed to be quite popular back before the 7-series cards... now, at $299, is it still a card worth thinking about? I bought an eVGA 6600gt about a month ago with the intention to step-up shortly after (I just needed to get my computer together). So now I'm trying to decide between spending the extra ~150 to get a 6800gt or spending an extra ~250 to get a 7800gt. Or waiting even longer to see what ATI has to offer. I have until the middle of October to step-up, but there's always ebay.

So, what would you recommend? Save money and go with the 6800gt, spend more and get the 7800gt, or hang on to the 6600gt for a while and see what happens later this year?

you can't step up after 90 days. So get a 7800GT. It is practically as good as a GTX and a bunch cheaper for the most part.

If you're looking to take advantage of the step-up, then go with the 7800.

If you're willing to cut your losses, are happy with your current card's performance, and have no real urgency in the matter to upgrade, its not as if you have a bad card at the moment, anyway.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something better to come out from ATI. There have been just a COUPLE of threads about how its debatable that the 520 could take the 7800. You might end up losing out if you wait.

I got a 6800 GT today and I am very impressed! It totally stomps over my older MSI 5950 Ultra 256 MB!

Let me just give you an idea of teh synthetic benchmarks of 3DMark05

5950 Ultra = 1400 3DMarks
Neighbour's 6600 (Non GT_ = 2100 3DMarks
MSI 6800 GT AGP Version = 5004 3DMarks!!!

so you get teh p!ctur3

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really in dire need of a video card upgrade, it's true... all I'm playing now is Guild Wars and HL2/CS:S. The main thing is that this card's fan is really, really loud, and I'd like to replace it with a vf700-cu as soon as possible. But I don't want to start messing around with a card that I plan to step-up/resell in a short while. Right now I'm still leaning towards the 6800gt, because I'm really not one to crank up the AA/AF. I'd be nice, but I still don't know if it's worth the money to me.

I think I'll give it a little while and see what happens. From what's been going on, I'm not expecting too much from ATI, and I'm not expecting it to happen soon... but you never know, I guess. I think I can put up with the noise for another month so I can see what develops.

If nothing else, I'll give myself some more time to put some money aside for the upgrade :p

Go for it man.. I personally never wait! I always guy the card just one step lower to the best. In this case it was 6800 Ultra, But i was only able to afford the GT.

That way you get a taste of what was the best a few months ago and what will definately pla all games out there smoothly for a price that won't drill a hole in your pocket ;)

I would wait a week to ten days before the expiration date of your step-up program as prices may slip downward a bit. If ATI ever introduces a card in this timeframe, prices will depress further. That being said, I would step-up to the 7800GT when the time to make a decision arrives. This would extend your current platform by at least a year and maximize the step-up feature without a significant fund expediture.

i would wait until you find a game you cant play at comfortable settings to upgrade your video card.

6800gt ok @ $250 --better @ $200--$300 a bit steep cause you can get the 7800gt for $350 now .

unless your really hurting i would hold off cause videocard prices are only going one direction the longer the wait the better deals you will see with either nvidia or ati. :eek:

if i had to buy a vga today ?-- humm i would either go inexpensive and get the referbed ati x800pro for $179 - the 1010 rebate from ati or i would get the 7800gt gigabyte from ewiz for $350 after the $20mir.

since i allready have a x800pro/xt'ed-- i can hold out a long long time before i buy another videocard.LOL :cool:

I wouldn't get the 6800gt, it's kinda the card in the middle, with a bad price. If your on a cheaper budget get the 6600gt, but if your wanting to take a big step up, get the 7800gt, I doubt you'll regret it.

6800gt is an awesome card, but not worth the $150 step up from a 6600gt.

Back