6800GT Problems!

XvMMvX

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok dont exactly know how to expalin this but i am having problems with my system:

Specs:

MSI K8N Neo2 Plat
AMD A64 3500+
1 gig Corsair RAM
BFG 6800GT OC
Cheap 480Watt PS
2 36gig Raptors
80Gb maxtor
120GB Seagate
DVD Writer

When i first noticed this it was when i was playing Half life to, I would be playing for a bit then i would get a freeze that lasted 1-5sec, after doing some researched i found out the information on the Half Life 2 freezing bug so i just thought that is was an issue with that game.

Then i installed up warcraft three and began getting the same problem, and thought it was lag on Bnet, but it wasnt cause it happened in a single player game. Anybody know what could be causeing this. My number one guess is maybe lack of power because it is a cheap power supply. Could it be that, what are the signs of lack of power in a system?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

btw i already reinstalled the drivers by going through driver cleaner and such.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Daniel

With all those hard drives and such I believe it could be your PSU.

Try using a friend's brand name PSU in your rig.

Then if the problem goes away sell your current PSU to some poor sucker and buy an Enermax or an Antec.

mentok1982 said:
Then if the problem goes away sell your current PSU to some poor sucker

ahaha :D

XvMMvX said:
When i first noticed this it was when i was playing Half life to, I would be playing for a bit then i would get a freeze that lasted 1-5sec, after doing some researched i found out the information on the Half Life 2 freezing bug so i just thought that is was an issue with that game.

Then i installed up warcraft three and began getting the same problem, and thought it was lag on Bnet, but it wasnt cause it happened in a single player game. Anybody know what could be causeing this. My number one guess is maybe lack of power because it is a cheap power supply. Could it be that, what are the signs of lack of power in a system?

are you running any sort of swap file?

6800 series does/did have this stuttering effect. Not sure if they fixed it or not. Not owning a 6800 I didnt keep updated. My X800 Pro Vivo @ XT PE ran just fine :D

Q-Ball23 said:
6800 series does/did have this stuttering effect. Not sure if they fixed it or not. Not owning a 6800 I didnt keep updated. My X800 Pro Vivo @ XT PE ran just fine :D

Games based on the Source engine exhibits this problem on both ATI and nVidia video processors.

To me this sounds like a power problem.

Bringing this one back since I have the same problem. BFG Tech said to disable fast writes, up the AGP voltage .1v, set the AGP app to 128mb, and did some quick math on my power set up. I've tried different drivers, PCI latencies, all of the above, It is still freezing so I am left to believe this Raidmax 420w ps is to blaim.

Having the same problems with my BFG 6800 GT OC using the 71.84 and 76.10 Nvidia drivers...

I had the same problems and it was the drivers. Reinstalled 66.93 and the problems are gone.

If you notice also the new drivers raise the gpu core temp by 10+ degrees C

Upgraded my PS to a fancy (expensive) 500w model and its still freezing. :(

Try RMA'ing the motherboard, reminds me of something that happened to me last summer.

Finally got the stutters to go away. It seems to be a mix of power, fast writes, and drivers. The 66.93 WHQL drivers fixed it for me.

Back