6800GT copper cooler core or NV5 silencer?

Anemone

Gawd
HI there

Own a nice pci-express 6800GT and the core cooler is, per standard design alum. I'm debating the EVGA copper core for $15 or so or jumping for the NV5. I've read about contact issues with the NV5 so I'm slightly cautious but its not really a show stopper.

Wondering if anyone has used both, and thoughts on just what kind of load temp diff we are talking about. Oh and true to form, this nice little thing goes to 400 easy on the core, but I'm letting it get warmed up some before we see what it is capable of.

Thank you

well if you have a copper cooler as is try an OC and see what you get if you can hit Ultra at ok temps just keep what you got other wise get the NV5

I overclocked my AGP 6800 GT to (right now, the 3D performance) 417 Mhz Core and 1.13 Ghz Memory. My computer went from idling 53 C @ stock to idling 57-58 C @ 417 Mhz Core and 1.13 Ghz Memory or "Ultra Speeds." This is with the stock cooler. I think, you can probably do the same or better with your stock cooler. If you want to increase the voltage, you should then really upgrade the hs/f. I am also thinking of getting the NV5. However, what I do not like is that its supposed to be a quite fan. I want a fan that works hard, and cools the graphic card very well, not a fan that is " whisper quite" I really do no mind the noise.

The as is cooler now is a alum one - standard. The copper would have to be ordered but it seems the cheapest way as well as the simplest install.

Copper cooler evga $15

NV5 $35

Not heard much yet about the evga cooler, but both my friend and I have installed the NV5 with great success. I ended up with about a 10 degree drop in temps, and I think that is pretty typical as far as results go. Not too shabby especially considering the thing is dead silent.

EDIT: The install was trivial. The only problem I've heard people having is contact issues with the memories due to not using enough thermal compound. As long as you check the contact before tightening everything down, there should be no worries.

Heh, but if NV5 does not fit (which is pretty common), ur temps might actually rise.

TehQuick said:
Heh, but if NV5 does not fit (which is pretty common), ur temps might actually rise.

Has anybody had problem with the core not making contact, or was it just with extra space to the memory? In my case there was a bit of a gap to the memory chips, but so long as you check the contact before you tighten everything down (which you should be doing regardless of what solution you end up going with), there should not be any issues.

If there are people having troubles with the core itself not making contact, then yes I would be a bit more concerned as that is a lot more risky. That would either mean that there are really poor tollerances in the making of the NV5 (I can't imagine there being this much deviation simply based on how it is constructed) or there is deviation on the cards themselves in which case any cooling solution is going to have similar problems.

To be perfectly honest though, everybody that I know personally who has installed the NV5 has been using a BFG 6800 GT, so perhaps that isn't the most representative sample to be drawing generic conclusions from.

Back