6800GT: BFG vs Albatron

defiant

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
461
I am considering getting the GT but am unsure of whether to get BFG or albatron. The pluses I can see with BFG are that it has a lifetime warranty (not that I expect to have much use for it after 4 years) and it comes clocked at ultra speeds. On the other hand it comes with BFG's shitty ass custom hsf which reportedly does not do as good a job as nvidias reference design.

The albatron on the other hand is a more bare bones card, cheaper, only has a 3 year warranty, comes clocked at default GT speeds but has good ol' nvidia's reference hsf (and hopefully will clock to ultra speeds).

So what which brand should I go for? :confused:
 
If you are worried about cooling (and don't want to use the NVS5), you may want to also look at the MSI or the Leadtek...or if you can locate one, the Gainward Golden Sample 2400 <drool>.
 
well..first off..the BFG 6800GT does'nt come clocked at ultra specs..its close..with the same 16 texture pipelines but the GT is 350 core clock and 1000 on the memory clock,the ultra runs @ 400 and 1100,as you can see by my sig..the card easily over clocks to ultra specs(and i saved 100$)..and no ones beats BFG's warrenty....yeh..you may not have you card 4 years from now..but if you do..and something on it breaks..its still worth 400$ to BFG...so the fan issue that concerns you shouldnt..if it fails..BFG will replace you card..and if its needed..they have 24/7 365 tech support..kinda hard to look @ any other company in my book and im not sure of the heat issue you have read about..i dont have any issues...it really all depends on how good your case functions i guess...if it really becomes an issue for you..the nv5 is a great solution..i know for a fact it fits the BFG card
 
Another good card to look at is the eVGA. They've got the step up program which is pretty cool IMO. They only give you a two year warranty if you register, but overall their cards are very high quality and as I understand it, they actually are contracted to build the reference cards for Nvidia.

Their cards do happen to match the reference boards exactly. So there might be some truth in that.

You also can't go wrong with BFG, or Leadtek.
 
I had an albatron mobo that failed in warranty. Called them for an RMA, and they quoted me a return time of 5-6 WEEKS.

Keep that in mind...
 
Haven't even heard of the Albatron. I'm on my second BFG 6800GT but that's only because I was dumb enough to sell my first one. It comes clocked at 370/1000, not ultra speeds. My BFG has the reference cooler and so did my first one.
 
Maybe you should have a look at gainward golden sample 6800gt. It comes clocked at 400/1100 or better still the golden sample glh (400/1200). The fan is loud though.
 
[Retaliation] said:
as you can see by my sig..the card easily over clocks to ultra specs(and i saved 100$)..
YOUR card may easily clock that high. My 6800GT OC clocks that high but is not stable. I run it at stock speed - it isn't noticable in game anyways when you overclock it to 400/1100 (at least not for the games I play)

Just don't want the guy to base his decision on that
 
seanmcd said:
YOUR card may easily clock that high. My 6800GT OC clocks that high but is not stable. I run it at stock speed - it isn't noticable in game anyways when you overclock it to 400/1100 (at least not for the games I play)

Just don't want the guy to base his decision on that
what card are you running..what drivers..cpu...memory?
nm..i didnt see you addy..nice box..why it wont run stable is a mystery..it should all day long..theres a 20mhz difference between yours and mine from the factory
 
[Retaliation] said:
what card are you running..what drivers..cpu...memory?
nm..i didnt see you addy..nice box..why it wont run stable is a mystery..it should all day long..theres a 20mhz difference between yours and mine from the factory

20mhz can be all the difference.
 
[Retaliation] said:
what card are you running..what drivers..cpu...memory?
nm..i didnt see you addy..nice box..why it wont run stable is a mystery..it should all day long..theres a 20mhz difference between yours and mine from the factory

I have the BFG 6800 GT OC with the dual fan copper heatsink (blue led's on fans).
I have taken the heatsink off a few times (removing thermal paste) and applied Artic Silver Ceramique to the core (didn't mess with the ram) but it didn't change my results any. Not sure if it's related but I think the heatsink is warped on the upper edge (that is to say, if I hold the card up and look down the edge of the heatsink, it trails off axis a slight but noticable amount right before the corner of the heatsink). I was excited at first as I thought it was running flawlessly at 400/1100. I think the core is the one that's not stable @ 400. Right now for the heck of it I have it at 380/1050. It seems fine at that slight overclock. I'm using the latest WHQL drivers 66.93.


lopoetve said:
20mhz can be all the difference.
In benchmark scores maybe but in real world gaming I can't tell a bit of difference.


Sorry to get the thread off track - but I give the BFG card a thumbs up so far. I just love the idea of having a lifetime warranty. There's nothing negative about it that I can see so far.
 
seanmcd said:
In benchmark scores maybe but in real world gaming I can't tell a bit of difference.


Sorry to get the thread off track - but I give the BFG card a thumbs up so far. I just love the idea of having a lifetime warranty. There's nothing negative about it that I can see so far.

I meant in overclocking and stability ;)
 
seanmcd said:
I have the BFG 6800 GT OC with the dual fan copper heatsink (blue led's on fans).
I have taken the heatsink off a few times (removing thermal paste) and applied Artic Silver Ceramique to the core (didn't mess with the ram) but it didn't change my results any. Not sure if it's related but I think the heatsink is warped on the upper edge (that is to say, if I hold the card up and look down the edge of the heatsink, it trails off axis a slight but noticable amount right before the corner of the heatsink). I was excited at first as I thought it was running flawlessly at 400/1100. I think the core is the one that's not stable @ 400. Right now for the heck of it I have it at 380/1050. It seems fine at that slight overclock. I'm using the latest WHQL drivers 66.93.



In benchmark scores maybe but in real world gaming I can't tell a bit of difference.


Sorry to get the thread off track - but I give the BFG card a thumbs up so far. I just love the idea of having a lifetime warranty. There's nothing negative about it that I can see so far.
huh...thats strange indeed..as far as the card goes..it could be the biggest pos of all the makers..but if BFG is gonna warrenty it for life....it floors me that anyone would look anywhere else...no other card maker offers this warrenty
 
defiant said:
I am considering getting the GT but am unsure of whether to get BFG or albatron. The pluses I can see with BFG are that it has a lifetime warranty (not that I expect to have much use for it after 4 years) and it comes clocked at ultra speeds. On the other hand it comes with BFG's shitty ass custom hsf which reportedly does not do as good a job as nvidias reference design.

The albatron on the other hand is a more bare bones card, cheaper, only has a 3 year warranty, comes clocked at default GT speeds but has good ol' nvidia's reference hsf (and hopefully will clock to ultra speeds).

So what which brand should I go for? :confused:
shitty? I think NOT. My BFG 6800 GT is happily at 445/1150 with the stock cooler. It even idles at about 50-52. Thats normal for some clocked at 350/1000. I'd say that cooler is damn good
 
Back
Top