6800gt aftermarket cooling fails.

RemoW

n00b
I just got and MSI nx 6800gt. I then went out and got a Thermalright v1 cooler. Which has gotten great reviews and Thermalright is the only cooler I run on my CPUs. No matter how I set it up the card started artifacting on boot up.

Then being a glutton for punishment I got an nv 5 rev 2 silencer. That seemed to artifact even worse.

The only big difference I see is that the stock cooler has metal to mem chip contact. None of the other coolers are metal to mem chip. When I pulled the stock cooler off it was obvious that 2 of the mem chips seem to get way hotter then the rest.

Any ideas or suggestions? I might have really good deal in the for sale forum soon.

Thanks,
Dan...

If you wanted to get the best aftermarket cooling short of going water, you should've bought a STASIS IceStorm NV6800C5! :rolleyes:

I would have to agree with the above statement. Either you're getting thermal grease somewhere you shouldn't be or your tightening the heatsink too much. Over-tightneing the NV5 will make the problem worse, in my experience. Try cleaning the card again, make sure there is no grease overlap and tighten until it starts to get tight. Turn the screws 1/4 more and test.

Try a careful reassmebly of the coolers you have, as user error may be a factor. If your artifacts persists with aftermarket but not with stock cooling, obtain the Zalman VF-700cu. If the artifacts persist even with stock cooling, try to RMA card.

I have a VF-700 on my 6800GT and it lowered load temperatures approximately 14 degrees. The VF-700 is extremely easy to install.

RemoW said:
The only big difference I see is that the stock cooler has metal to mem chip contact. None of the other coolers are metal to mem chip.

whoa whoa whoa you are saying that the ram had a heatsink on it stock and now the new one you have desnt touch the ram and the ram is just naked? that might be problem numero uno

RHollister said:
whoa whoa whoa you are saying that the ram had a heatsink on it stock and now the new one you have desnt touch the ram and the ram is just naked? that might be problem numero uno
DOH! Yeah, if the memory's getting hot, the card will freak out on you. When I was OCing my 6600GT, I left the core stock and OCed the memory, and it artifacted after not going too far.

No, the new heatsinks touch the memory. They just do it with thermal tape. Not to the heatsink directly.

I have tried seating both of them 2 times each. I even checked the pattern on the heatsink after putting it on and taking it off.

I have never had this problem before.

try subsituting thermal paste instead of the thermal tape, that might help but the thermal tape should have worked

It is hard to say without pictures to see. Are you sure the thermal tape makes contact with the RAM? if it did, the tape should 'melt' and form to the chips.

No the tape didn't melt. I couldn't leave it on long eoungh to find out. Artifacting started right at boot time. I promise I am not a rookie at this. I was OCing on my 286 when I had to change the crystal with a soldering iron. (Yes I am dating myself. :) )

The tape was making good contact.

Ok....not to be blunt...but the facts are the facts. If the card DOES NOT artifact with the stock cooler, but DOES with the other 2...you are incorrectly mounting them.

Have you put the stock cooler back on to see if it NOW artifacts? Perhaps something happened while taking off the stock cooler the first time?

Those two coolers DO cool better than (or at least the same as) the stock cooler....so if you remount the stock cooler and it does NOT artifact, I am left to conclude you are somehow not mounting the 2 aftermarket coolers correctly.

setscrew said:
Try a careful reassmebly of the coolers you have, as user error may be a factor. If your artifacts persists with aftermarket but not with stock cooling, obtain the Zalman VF-700cu. If the artifacts persist even with stock cooling, try to RMA card.

I have a VF-700 on my 6800GT and it lowered load temperatures approximately 14 degrees. The VF-700 is extremely easy to install.

alright, i think you chipped your core or damaged it. and cause you damaged it putting after market cooling on it, i can honestly say its a big no no to RMA that graphics card.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
alright, i think you chipped your core or damaged it. and cause you damaged it putting after market cooling on it, i can honestly say its a big no no to RMA that graphics card.
If he were to put the stock cooler back on at this very moment, I wonder what it would do.

Back