6800gs GPU diode temperature wrong?

Capfarland

Limp Gawd
My card is a PNY 6800gs factory overclocked edition. For some reason, my GPU temps shoot up past 110c no matter what game I play. I have tried mounting several fans in my PC, with one intake in the front bottom, one intake in the side, 2 exhaust in the back and turning my GPU fan on 100%. I have cleaned the card completely of dust with canned air. I've even tried blowing in air with a fan from outside on a cold day, it still shoots up to the same temperatures. My ambient temps reach 40 under a heavy load, and my system temp is 25c idle. I get no artifacts in my games at all. I'm also running the latest drivers.

I am wondering if there is any way to fix it, if not if there is possibly a way to disable the automatic underclocking feature?

what software r u using to monitor your temps? download atitool or i recommend rivatuner so u can watch your temperature as you play.

I've used both rivatuner & ntune, i mostly use the temperature reading from the control panel though.

i installed a pci slot cooler but it only brought the idle temp down like 1c, weird.

Sounds like the heatsink is poorly mounted. Try disassembling it CAREFULLY, cleaning off the paste that's there now, and reapplying some new stuff. It doesn't have to be AS5 if you have anything lying around, but make sure it's not toothpaste* either. :p
Have you used the built-in monitoring in the Forceware drivers? Check the Temperature tab under the video control panel.

has this happened recently? have you made any software changes? its possible that it could be driver related.

Yeah it happens with every game I play. I was thinking it was driver related myself as well. it idles at 56c but shoots up no matter what 3d app I use. It's not really in my comfort zone to disassemble the heatsink and re apply the thermal paste though, Thanks for the suggestion.

I do have one other question, I'll just post it here instead of making a new thread; since I should probably upgrade my card anyways, does anyone think that an EVGA 7950 GT 256mb card would be a good upgrade from the PNY 6800gs?

Back