• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6800 vs. 9800Pro vs. ti4200

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
4,403
Here are three very different video cards in terms of price and preformance. I play Halo, FarCry, and probably Doom 3. I put the ti4200 on there because I would definately sacrafice preformance to save a couple hundred dollars...

Money is definately an issue! I will not be overclocking.


Tell me what video card would be best for me...



Thank you!
 
oh and this card needs to have the ability to resell very well too... as I resell and buy quite a bit. :D


thanks again
 
well, if money is an issue id say get a 9800pro, is the best value for money now and is not that expensive, it will easily run farcry and dooom 3
dont know if youll be able to run it at the highest eyecandy settings, but it will run at decent IQ
 
9800Pro is very good bang for the buck. You can save another few by going 5900XT which o/c's nicely to 5900 (and beyond).

I currently run a Ti4600 and farcry is okay @ 1024 medium. No AA No AF. It's enjoyable, and still very pretty.

Halo runs better on nVidia cards. It's just a poorly ported game.

As for Doom 3, it should work on an 8500, but obviously wont look as good as on a 6800Ultra. But nobody will know until the final comes out.

It's all up to you really.... /me hugs nv25.
 
Yeah - I'd have to say go for the 9800pro as a good compromise.

These have dropped a lot in price recently, and I wouldn't expect them to drop too much more in the coming months, so your re-sale value will still be reasonably close to your purchase price if you sell it soon.
 
You can buy a sapphire 9800 Pro, 128 MB, 256 bit for a little over 200 dollars if you're willing to get the OEM. I bought retail for the bundled game, power splitter, and better warranty.
 
I would save your $$ and go with a 6800, it is only a $100 more than the 9800Pro, and youll be happier in the end ;)
 
If you can spend the extra cash go for the 6800, its by far the best out of the three.
 
does anyone have any good benchies of the 6800 (non ultra no gt) verses the 9800Pro?


thanks!
 
Back
Top