6800 Ultra vs 6800 GT ?

AllLiving

Gawd
A) What's better in terms of performace?

B) Why is the GT cheaper?

C) What brand (BFG, MSI, etc) is good to stick with? Stay away from?

D) What brand is best performace STOCK?

My main point is what card, Ultra or GT, is best out of the box stock?

I have
Athlon 64 3200+ (939)
Soltek 939 Mobo
1gig PC3200 Corsair UltraLowLatency

Upgrading from ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

(Going to the good side, Nvidia! :) )

Try reading through the forums or some online reviews ... you will find all those questions easily answered. Good luck! I have a GT myself, was a great upgrade from the 9700 Pro.

ummm who doesn't knoe the ultra is faster with stock performance... 500$ ultra vs 400$GT... ofcourse the ultra is faster but also consider getting the gt and overclocking to near or over ultra speeds for 100$ bucks less.. but if u want the fastest stock performance.. get the ultra..

BFG is better stock, because it is faster than any other card

Bugalaman said:
BFG is better stock, because it is faster than any other card

haha not any more.. i think they should remove the BFG 6800 ULTRA "OC" thing because 8/10 companies are shipping thier card "OC" to 425 instead of the regular 400...

like my pny shipped at 425..

Yea, my eVGA 6800 Ultra came 425/1100 (same as bfg). But I hear BFG has a really long warrenty. As for overclockability, the GT can hit the BASE 6800Ultra speeds almost no problem, which are 400/1100.

The biggest differences are the Ultra has much better cooling, and better power management for overclocking...plus the GT uses 2.0ns GDDR3 whereas the Ultra uses 1.6ns GDDR3 memory...meaning the Ultra is capable of better clocks (doesn't mean it WILL, just that it's possible). Also, some companies have used 2.0ns on ultras (tsk tsk), and some have used 1.6ns on GT's (I think).

I say if you're willing to throw down $400 for a GT, go the extra step for the Ultra. Newegg.com has eVGA ultra's for $499 shipped. But if you're scratching ur pennies together to get the GT itself, you won't be disappointed with the GT.

Summary: Both have same pipes (16) and vertex shaders (6), the only differences are the memory type (2.0=GT 1.6=Ultra) and clocks (GT=350/1000 Ultra=400(almost always 425 now)/1100).

Very simple summary: Only difference is the MHz on the GPU and memory :)

Hoped this helps...even tho there are probably 10 other threads about this.

Thanks, that was a very informative post tsuehpsyde.

As of right now the Geforce 6800 Gt 256mb is looking like the better choice for me.

Now for the big question, brand decisions?

I can choose from Leadtek, Albatron, eVGA, aOpen, Gigabyte, XFX, MSI, PNY, Chaintech, BFG OC, etc.

This part is probably mainly user opinion specific. I've heard good things of BFG. Some brands that don't seem so good in my mind are Leadtek, Albatron, and MSI. Is this correct thinking? Ideas and opinions please? First hand experience opinions much apprectiated.

pny seems to have the "falling off capacitor thingy" but IMO even though i havn't brought anything from them.. i think eVGA... (damn i should've gotten an eVGA ULTRA instead) ;(

The MSI actually looks like it has a dope cooler....copper I believe.

MSI makes good stuff imo. My motherboard is MSI, and a few people I know swear by MSI. BFG is a good company, just make sure you DO NOT get the 2-fan BFG 6800GT...it has some issues.

eVGA is a good company imo, I bought their ultra :p Leadtek's cooler runs a little warm so I'd ward away from that personally...anything that look's reference, you should be fine. The packaged contents/warrenty is the better way to look. I'd say the top ones as far as im concerned...

eVGA, BFG, MSI, and Gainward (golden sample cards are always like, the cherry picked cards that run excellent). Some ppl like PNY, some don't....i don't...it's all a matter of opinion.

the falling off capacitor thingy is just because of the packaging...nothing to do with the actual quality of the card.

PNY are damn good cards..my 5200 is running at 300/470 all day long with no problems...i got a 6800 from Compusa, but dont get to use it till christmas day...
(even though i moved out, i still dont get my presents early)

But i must say that Gainward, BFG OC are awesome cards. If you can afford the Gainward i would go for that one...mainly cause it just lookes wicked, but still has some kick ass performance.

I posted in another thread for my dislike with PNY :p Not just the ruffled feathers from the capacitor thing, which only supports my opinion.

Can't compain here. Been using it for bout 5 months everything runs smooth as glass! :cool:

I put together a new rig a few months ago, and decided to go with the evga 6800GT instead of the Ultra basically because I figured I'd be itching for a PCI Express card, or maybe even SLI in about a year, so I didn't want to blow the extra 100+ bucks for a card I'd be giving away in a year.

Also, I like quiet, and the NV silencer at the time wasn't made for the Ultra. The stock fans are the loudest fans in my system. I felt more comfortable voiding the warrenty on a $400 card than at the time a $525 card. Bulinding an entire new system, the extra 100 bucks here and there was adding up.

In hindsight, with the lack of PCI Express cards available, putting money into a good AGP card was a good investment. A 100 bucks isn't much, and after running 3dMark for the first time... I have benchmark envy. :(

But...
after buying all the great new games I could finally play (Doom3, FarCry, BFVietnam, HL2, etc.) I still basically play my favorite of all time: Battlefield1942. And for the the 6800GT kicks butt just fine. Just make sure you get the latest drivers. It fixed my lousy 3400 3d05 score and made it 4475.

*cough*5112 3dmark05*cough*

lol, thought I'd spank you with some more benchmark envy :)

And that was stock clocks of 425/1100...really need to get that benched with an overclock :)

Back