6800 Ultra needs two power cable?

you need to have both power cables plugged in if you want to run 3D apps on the 6800U, period

we unplugged one and a low power dialog box came up and the screen kept refreshing itself

we were able able to get by on a 431w psu, but our system is very basic, not a lot of power draw from other components

i'd imagine that if you are running a 300w psu and have a high speed cpu, like a P4, and multiple hard drives etc.., a beefy system, it may not be enough to power everything with a 6800U

i think its really going to depend on YOUR system load, but to be on the safe side a higher wattage psu never hurts

Originally posted by Brent
you need to have both power cables plugged in if you want to run 3D apps on the 6800U, period

we unplugged one and a low power dialog box came up and the screen kept refreshing itself

we were able able to get by on a 431w psu, but our system is very basic, not a lot of power draw from other components

i'd imagine that if you are running a 300w psu and have a high speed cpu, like a P4, and multiple hard drives etc.., a beefy system, it may not be enough to power everything with a 6800U

i think its really going to depend on YOUR system load, but to be on the safe side a higher wattage psu never hurts

so. the questoin is my Antec 480W can handle that 6800 ultra.. i'm freaking 3dgameholic, using 2 hards and 2 odds...

Originally posted by JeFfSaVa
so. the questoin is my Antec 480W can handle that 6800 ultra.. i'm freaking 3dgameholic, using 2 hards and 2 odds...

480w is the recommended psu, should work fine

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27394

I was already planning on trying to cram a 6800u in ny SN45G just for fun, but after I read that thread I knew I had to try it. I sold my 5900nu, ti4400, and old laptop to get the funds I needed to by a 6800u and the SlientX 250W supply that Shuttle sells. Even if I can find a single slot 6800u, I'd imagine Mr. Dremel is still gonna have his way with my case :)

I forgot the review but some place hooked up a watt meter to the computer and just interchanged the video cards. Under load, the 6800U used 30W more than a 9800XT and 10W more than a 5950U.

What about a PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool Dlx 425 Watt

also running:

(3) Hard Drives
(2) Optical Drives
(4) 80mm Fans
Hauppauge PVR-250
Audigy ZS

Do you guys think you could do a power test on one of those cards before or when they come out?

I'm curious if I need a new PSU. I've got 9 fans, 4 HDD's 2 optical drives and a Pentium 4 3.0C. I'm curious as to if I will definatley need a new PSU for this card.

I am also BTW out of PSU leads. I'd need a splitter even if my PSU could handle the draw. I'm sure alot of people are wondering if they will need to make this upgrade as well. The information might be especially good for people who use SFF PC's.

that 480W recomendation is if you have a generic POS brand you need at least a 480 but if you have a high quality 400+ you will be just fine....... ive seen some 480+ watt PSU with 16-18A on the 12v rail and my 430 has like 20A on the 12v rail ......

Kinda interesting. I saw the below info over @ nvnews.

Power Supply Leads
http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6800_ultra/images/power_supply_s.jpg

GeForce 6800 Ultra vs. GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6800_ultra/images/card_comparison_1s.jpg

Dual Molex Connectors
http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6800_ultra/images/molex_connectors_s.jpg

When asked, NVIDIA provided us with a list of recommended power supplies which consisted of Antec's True550, True480, or NEO480 and Enermax's EG475P-VE SFMA. However, other previews have tested the GeForce 6800 Ultra running on 350W and 300W power supplies. Since NVIDIA plans to transition the GeForce 6 series to PCI-Express, a single molex connector may suffice as PCI-Express delivers more power to the graphics card compared to the AGP bus. Fortunately, the power requirements will be less for the GeForce 6800, which will require a single molex connector.

Originally posted by JBark
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27394

I was already planning on trying to cram a 6800u in ny SN45G just for fun, but after I read that thread I knew I had to try it. I sold my 5900nu, ti4400, and old laptop to get the funds I needed to by a 6800u and the SlientX 250W supply that Shuttle sells. Even if I can find a single slot 6800u, I'd imagine Mr. Dremel is still gonna have his way with my case :)

Even switching the stock shuttle powersupply with a 250W power supply I don't think it will cut it. According to the Techreport they measured the 6800 ultra's power consumption and it came to 206W alone. That would leave only 34W for the rest of your components, the SilentX would have to significantly exceed it's specifications for it to work. I own a shuttle as well and have thought about the prospect of trying to get a nextgen card in there, but personally I am going to see how other people fare on it first (personally I don't like the idea of using dual powersupplies as it would ruin the look of the system).

Anyways good luck, and keep us updated when you finally try.

Do we know if the card uses the 3.3,5v or the 12v rails? If its just the 12v Rails you could probably get some sort of 12v external power supply thats rated at over 150 watts or so. So anybody know what the High end laptop (Alienware, Voodoo, P4 3ghz etc) use? My guess is there probably about 150watts. My guess is that you could use a high end 12v external power brick and be alright with a SFF box.

My .02

Originally posted by Particleman
Even switching the stock shuttle powersupply with a 250W power supply I don't think it will cut it. According to the Techreport they measured the 6800 ultra's power consumption and it came to 206W alone. That would leave only 34W for the rest of your components, the SilentX would have to significantly exceed it's specifications for it to work. I own a shuttle as well and have thought about the prospect of trying to get a nextgen card in there, but personally I am going to see how other people fare on it first (personally I don't like the idea of using dual powersupplies as it would ruin the look of the system).

Anyways good luck, and keep us updated when you finally try.

Nope, the 206W was for the entire system.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/geforce-6800ultra/index.x?pg=28
...I got my trusty watt meter and took some readings to find out. I tested the whole system, as shown in our Testing Methods section, to see how many watts it pulled....

EDIT:
The Tech Report review doesn't mention anything about the power supply efficiency, so assuming a high effiiciency of 70%, his system was actually only putting out around 150W internally.

480w is the recommended psu, should work fine

I read the 2 power cables need to be independenat of each other and not connected to anything else. With my reig I don't hting this would be possible (2 ide hds, 2 raptors raid, 2 optical drives)....but I'd probably have enough connections that were already attached to something else.

Will I have a problem with a 480 Trublue Antec in this situation?

So, does this mean that you can plug and unplug the molex connecters from the card when the system is on?

Originally posted by EnderW
What about a PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool Dlx 425 Watt

also running:

(3) Hard Drives
(2) Optical Drives
(4) 80mm Fans
Hauppauge PVR-250
Audigy ZS

That thing puts more than a true power 480. The 480 is rated at 26c and is realy much less than that at normal temp 40 c or more internal.

The PC P &C is rated 425 @ 40 .It would be a 500watter if labeled like the ANTECS

This whole power thing is the only thing holding me back from switching to a shuttle.

I know the [H] guys have a few SFF's lying around somewhere. I wish that they would just settle this by slappin' the 6800U in (even with the cover off) and see what happens!

I don't want to plunk down the $ if the thing melts by box.

You guys with me?

Originally posted by jacuzz1
That thing puts more than a true power 480. The 480 is rated at 26c and is realy much less than that at normal temp 40 c or more internal.

The PC P &C is rated 425 @ 40 .It would be a 500watter if labeled like the ANTECS
Ahh. I see you have one. Do you like it? Is it loud?

I'm thinking of switching from my True Power 480

I dunno... I have ran into some problems in this area.

I got the first review card in and swore it was blown/dead as it wouldn't come up in any of my four rigs or on five PSUs.

My test rig is a 3.02C, Abit IC7Max3, Maxtor 250GB SATA, Lite-on 8X DVDRW, 1GB HyperX PC3500, 2x80mm fans, Vantec 470W Silent PSU. Runs with a Radeon 9800XT with hardly any deviation on the 12V rails even under load.

My Game rig is a FX51, SK8N, 1GB Corsair PC3200, 48X CDRW/DVD combo, 2x 36GB Raptors, 2x120mm fans, 400W Seasonic SuperTornado. Runs with a Radeon 9800XT with hardly any deviation on the 12V rails even under load.

My SFF is a Digidice with 2.5B, 512mb PC3500, and only a TV tuner from ATI extra. Runs with a 9800 no problems.

Also have a Gateway 700X system, 2.8C, Audigy ZS, 2x Optical, 1 80GB SATA drive, 1GB PC3500 memory. Stock PSU, but runs with even a 9800XT no problems.

I also have a 350W Sparkle and 520W sparkle on hand.

I couldn't get it to run on any of the systems in stock form, nor the first system listed with a 520W sparkle installed, even if I left the sides off on it and discoed the optical and 2 fans.

I got a replacement card from Nvidia during a meet with their Nforce3 PR team here in NY. This one will come up on any system with the 520W in it, as well as the FX system running the Seasonic PSU (though it dips well below where I feel it should be on the 12V rail); the FX system is in a damped and nearly silent setup and the PSu was chosen for this role... not the biggest, but it's generally regarded as a quality PSU in most regards, and it's quiet.

With the exception of the Gateway system's PSU (most likely not junk, but OEM 'generic' most likely) these are all relatively mainstream and pretty representative of a lot of folks in one way or another. The Vantec is obviously a dissappointment given it's rated wattage, but most don't consider it junky and it runs the current gen stuff even with a big load (extra fans, CCFLs and rheobus, Audigy 2 Plat, 1GB PC4400 Corsair Pro, 2x74GB raptors in RAID0) just fine for me.

I have got a couple of PSUs on order, a trueblue 430 and a Fortran 550W unit for some more testing. Surely the hardcore have high end, quality PSUs (though not everyone is running a 480W unit or better), but I find it a bit disturbing that the 6800U was designed to suck so much power given that many people don't have a PSU capable of delivering the needed power or better unit in their PC.

Think about it... most desktops you get online don't come with that (though often they do have relatively good quality units, even if generically or OEM labeled), while home builders on the average aren't buying $100+ PSUs for their computers unless they need it (mods, OCing, etc)... yet some of those consumers at will run out to the store and buy a 6800U only to find that potentially they also have to buy a new PSU just to run it.

I don't think we have seen this to this extent before in previous generations of cards... the BSOD Loop was often attibuted to aggresive driver settings and insufficent power from the PSU, but nothing like this big of a jump in power needs really, and obviously the mainstream market on average doesn't sport PSUs of the caliber needed to support the jump.

I got to wonder why this was considered by Nvidia to be acceptable (and from what I have read and been briefed on about R420, albeit lower requirements apparently, by ATI)?

Granted, 6800U/R420 will be the performance enthusiast card with a price tag to match and certain 'understandings' by the community that it's high end and has high requirements, but there are plenty of cash rich consumers/gamers who don't meet those requirements and whom may not grasp them fully (or not even know about them, silly consumers...).

Still, plenty of folks who might buy the card (depending on how R420 shakes out officially in comparison) simply don't have the highest quality PSU with tons of 12V rail power... as Nvidia said, most PSUs today concentrate on power delivery to the mobo, and as has been pointed out all over the net in recent weeks the AGP spec is relativly low powered on the delivery side (hence an external molex even in the last few gens/refreshes of cards). If a PSU incapable of supporting this new generation of high end cards is relatively normal in the consumer market place, why make a card that will force people to either upgrade or return the card and opt for something lower priced and lower in requirement, especially when the majority of replacement PSUs with enough power on the 12V rail are typically pretty pricey compared to what peopel have already bought or otherwise got with their system.

I don't know about an external power block (ala the Vodoo fiasco as I recall from ages past) being a viable option either. It's unweildly, a bit complicated for a good portion of PC users out there (sadly), and not a good PR point in marketing the card really (seemingly, albeit untruely so, more complicated install).

Am I missing something here? I have seen where people are running it on quality, but not exactly loaded PSUs rated lower than the recommended 480W recommendation. All fine and good, but what about those folks who didn't go out and spend a ton, who perhaps got a decent PSU but not one with a lot of extra amps/voltage on the 12V rail, or who have a generic PSU without enough juice in their expensive BTO system?

I am happy with my Radeon 9800 Pro AIW. But lets thinkg about this people, REQUIRED 480watt ANTEC like power supply to fucntion properly? how bout we go back to the drawing board and make it a better product. DELL , IBM, HP dont even offer 480 options as power supplies!

D e e p

Originally posted by ApaThy_NeXT2
So, does this mean that you can plug and unplug the molex connecters from the card when the system is on?

i wouldn't recommend it, heh

we unplugged the second power cable with the system off, and then powered it on

ITs very quiet or more accurately I dont notice it over the 5 antec case fans that are running.

Originally posted by jacuzz1
ITs very quiet or more accurately I dont notice it over the 5 antec case fans that are running.
Know a good place to get one?

Originally posted by Splat1
Do we know if the card uses the 3.3,5v or the 12v rails? If its just the 12v Rails you could probably get some sort of 12v external power supply thats rated at over 150 watts or so.

the new Enermac Noisetaker PSUs have two seperate 12v rails, but they both get power from the same source so :confused:

well i'm glad i bought the new 470w enermax, i don't have to worry about this for a while :cool:

Back