• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

6800 Regular or X800 Regular?

amdfan25

2[H]4U
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
3,902
Hey guys my roommate is getting a new rig and he can't decide between the 128MB 6800 Regular or the 256MB X800 Regular. Any recommendations?
 
Forgot to mention, hes not a overclocker (doesn't want to / does know how to) and hes kinda penny pinching so he trying to decide between a MSI 6800 128 for $229 and a Gigabyte X800 256 for $196 and since Im buildin the system for him I gotta help him decide on the VGA

Thanks to all that have posted.
 
Then just go for the X800. I think it isfaster than the 6800nu anyway, even more so with a 256mb version.
 
virtuexru said:
I just ordered an X800 Pro Refurb off NewEgg for 205$. ;)

if you're gonna pay this much, you might as well pay 20 more bucks for a x800xl from tigerdirect. assuming you're pci-e
 
Remember - the agp 6800 is the one capable of pipe unlocking. The pci-e version cannot.
 
Don't trust THG at all, their tests say a 6600gt is consistantly better than a 6800nu: total bs.
 
Its really easy actually, PCIe = X800 and AGP = 6800nu.

The PCIe 6800nu can not be unlocked, the core doesnt have the extra pipes at all, not even on the core.

At stock the X800 is generally slightly, and I mean SLIGHLY faster than the 6800nu. But since its cheaper it just makes it that much better of a buy.
 
now it all depends, x800pro only has 12 pipes :eek:
x800xl has 16 pipes
i would go with x800 over 6800, but look into xl or xt version just becasue they have 4 more pipes
 
I have a MSI 6800nu pcie here that overclocks stable to 440 core and 900 memory. It has 12 pipes, but it sure hangs with the best of them. :)
 
The Gigabyte 256mb X800 also has a stock 200+ mhz overclock on the ram. I just ordered one for my new rig :p
 
j3ff86 said:
The Gigabyte 256mb X800 also has a stock 200+ mhz overclock on the ram. I just ordered one for my new rig :p

Yep. Gotta love the X800XL memory speed the gigabyte card comes with (I recently bought one). Not only that, but it's passively cooled so you get passive cooling + faster ram for less money than most other X800's on the market. Oh yeah, 256mb in BF2 will give you a pretty significant fps increase vs. a 128mb card. Don't know about other games though, but 256mb is definitely starting to come in handy.
 
Back
Top