6800 or 9800pro?

rotteneggz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
164
the price difference will kill me but im thinking about taking the leap if its worth it.
I can get the 9800pro 128mb for 260$ cnd shipped
but now im thinking about getting the LEADTEK A400TDH GEFORCE 6800 128mb for 410$ cnd shipped.
system specs:
barton 2500+
nf7-s ver 2.0
512mb pc3200
antec 430 watt psu

Would going with the 6800 be a better choice? will my system bottleneck the 6800's performance?
thanks
 
The 6800NU is 20-40% faster than the 9800PRO on average, and faster than the more expensive x800pro in Doom3.

HardOCP gave it the "Doom3 Ultimate Enthusiast System" videocard award

It will make a huge difference with your cpu, in fact its a good match. Its worth the cash.
 
thx for your input on my questions everyone.
I just processed the order and it came out to 438$ shipped cnd :cool:
 
rotteneggz, where did you get that deal? I'm looking for the same thing, a 6800 in a Canadian retailer.
 
Don't pay over MSRP for any card - I can't even begin to describe it is to see online retailers gouging some of their most frequent and loyal customers with this generation of graphics card....

You should pay $299 for the 6800, $399 for the 6800 GT, and $499 for the 6800 Ultra
Likewise, $399 for the x800pro and $499 for the x800xt PE

At $299, the 6800 is definately worth the speed you're getting over the 9800pro. If you're paying $399 for it, it's definately not worth the speed increase. If you're going to spend $399, get an x800pro or a 6800 GT
 
Also, shop around for that 9800 Pro - you should be able to get one for under $200

Edit: I'm an idiot, having just realized that you were talking about CND and not US$. However, my point still stands. What's the equivalent of what you spent in US$?
 
$438 CAD in US funds is around $333, but consider the fact that the 438 includes taxing and shipping. He got a fairly good deal. I want to know where you got that! I want the exact same card, and I live in rural Canada so I definately cannot buy from a US retailer.
 
Yeah I got it. The $389 card plus tax is $447 for me, Nova Scotia's taxes are 15%, that's not even shipped, haha. If I buy one I think I'll get one right off eVGA.
 
I wouldn't say the 6800 non-ultra is faster "overall". It does even outperform the high end ATi X800XT in Doom3 (At least with the 4.7 Catalysts)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=13

It does however, tend to lose to a Radeon 9800pro/XT in a good chunk of D3D games like ut2004. Which is really quite baffling. I get the feeling that Nvidias x0 technology does not work well with standard D3D games. And of course ATi has had weak OpenGL in the past.
 
I checked that benchmark result before buying the card. The 9800 xt beats the 6800 in only 2/13 games (farcry + ut2k4) and both of them is only with aa+af enabled. The 6800 surprisingly also beat the x800 pro's xt's in a fair ammount of benchmarks. even beating the xtpe and even the 6800 gt + ultra in a few benchmarks :eek: . Also considering the fact that this card is 200$+ cheaper then most cards on that benchmark, it is deffinatly a bang for your buck video card. And that is the main reason for me buying this beauty ;)

@ mojo: the funny thing is that i live in quebec, and in quebec we also have 15% tax just like you but the site only charged 7% tax for some reason..... :)
 
Yeah, I'm waiting for Vibecomputers.com to get them in. They only charge 7% tax. It actually makes quite a difference in the final price.
 
rotteneggz said:
I checked that benchmark result before buying the card. The 9800 xt beats the 6800 in only 2/13 games (farcry + ut2k4) and both of them is only with aa+af enabled.

truth :) taking things out of context is weak.
 
Back
Top