6800 GT - screen blink on settings, MPEG-2?

archerkit

n00b
Hi all. In the last couple of days I picked up a PNY 6800 GT (was able to find one in stock at a CompUSA) as an upgrade to my FX-5200. Coupled with an A64 3000+ & Asus K8NE-Deluxe & 1GB of RAM.

Happy so far, just a couple of questions. I had the 61.77 drivers installed along with the 5200, and I just replaced the card with the 6800. I figured that was safe since it's the same driver set.

Anyway, when I go into the display preferences, and enter the 6800-specific settings, the screen blinks for a second and then comes back. Is that normal?

Secondly - I understand that the 6800 GT has built-in hardware MPEG-2 decoding. But does it need a special app to enable that? Or will an installation of WinDVD (say, the one that came with the mobo) automatically utilize the hardware decoding? I'm anxious to try it, as I've always used Sonic codecs to watch recorded video from my PVR.

Thanks for any help, this is a great forum!

Archerkit

Yes, the "screen blink" seems to be normal with the 61.XX drivers...doesn't cause problems. As for the hardware encoding...I haven't used that yet, I know my eVGA GT came with "Nvidia dvd" on a disk but I haven't installed it. If you didn't get a copy with your card you might try the Nvidia site for a download.

Back