6800 GT problems with games...

Vashek

n00b
Noticed a few problems so far. I've been playing Doom 3 and all the outdoor environments have a black "fog"...cant see 1 foot in front of myself. Not sure why its doing that, but I turned on VSync and 4X AA and it went away....nother thing is the game stops responding everytime I go to exit out.

Also cannot run the Farcry demo. I load the game up and it freezes instantly, the graphics looked horrible also. It creates a critical error...Im guessing it may just be due to DirectX 9.0c, might need a newer demo. Any ideas?

Please post:
- What drivers you're using
- Sys config
- Power supply company/model

Im using the Nvidia Forceware 61.77 drivers. Ive got all the latest drivers for my system. Noticed on the website for Farcry u need the 53.03 FW drivers...guessing thats why it crashes, and it must have DX 9.0b.

P4 2.4ghz Northwood
Shuttle AV94N9 MB
PNY GeForce 6800 GT
1GB RAM PC2700
Sound Blaster Audigy
Memorex CD/DVD-RW
Secondary CD-ROM
Maxtor 7200 RPM 200GB
Antec 480W TrueBlue PSU
Windows XP SP2

Try:

- http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10, and download the latest WHQL drivers. nvidia doesn't put the most recent drivers on their web site.
- Get the Far Cry 1.3 patch, which fixes many problems
- Make sure directx is happy: type "dxdiag" at start->Run. Check all tabs to make sure it says 'no problems reported.'
- Perhaps run driver cleaner before installing the new drivers.

mattsaccount said:
- Make sure directx is happy: type "dxdiag" at start->Run. Check all tabs to make sure it says 'no problems reported.'
- Perhaps run driver cleaner before installing the new drivers.
I think he should do those first. Installing another driver on top of mismatched files or corrupted registry entries isn't going to help.

Plus FC doesn't hang even with the original full version or demo with the 6800GT. There are texture/shader problems, but it runs fine. Anyways, he can't patch FC because he only has the demo. I haven't heard that ubisoft updated the demo either.

Thanks, I didnt know Nvidia didnt post the newest drivers. Thats kinda odd. So im guessing guru3d.com is best place for 'em?

The ones from Guru3d are technically "beta" so they may have other problems, but the worst you can expect is issues with specific games. I'm using 66.81 (not the WHQL ones, but they're probably the same anyway), and have no problems in any recent game.

nVidia seems to be pretty conservative about posting new drivers on their web site.

if you have 9.0c it shouldnt be any different, since its the same thing with a few more instruction sets added

mattsaccount said:
The ones from Guru3d are technically "beta" so they may have other problems,
Not as many drivers on guru3d are beta as you think. Many are not WHQL, but that doesn't mean the drivers are beta. nvidia releases drivers to card manufacturers and computer OEMs that are not betas, but are also not posted for download on nvidia.com.

Overall, only between 1/4-1/3 of the drivers on guru3d are beta. The rest really are release versions made for someone or another.

The 66.81 drivers fixed the problem with Doom3 not responding when I exit. Farcry demo runs nows, but the water effects arent working, everything else is.

Far Cry needs to be patched. I got all sorts of visual defects with my 6800 Ultra till I updated to v1.2 and (more recently) v1.3, which sorted it all out.

EDIT - not sure what the patch does with the demo mind. Can't harm to test it out.

Just picked up Farcry at Fry's for $29.99....cant beat that! Wish me luck with patching, I may cry if the patch doesnt fix it. =p

Back