6800 GT Heat Problems

adamadekat

Gawd
I recently RMA'd my Abit-IC7G for the same model. I believe it was when I started to use the one they gave me that my 6800 GT started to heat up pass the threshold. Any game I play that is more current (i.e. HL2, F.E.A.R.), it will start artifacting and I will get the 'Blue Screen of Death'. When the game artifacts, I'll switch to the desktop and the NV monitor says the card was at 95 degrees...this has never happened before.

I have the NV Silencer 5 and just put some new thermal paste on yesterday. Could I have used the wrong power cable from the power supply to power it? Help me, please.

I would try cleaning all the thremal paste off then re applying some more. if it's not arctic silver paste, then be generous with it.

95 C is not that outrageous. My SLI setup hits about 88 C when I play FEAR. That is with good case airflow, copper heatsinks and an Antec V-Cool running.

Scott

i'm wondering if my gpu temp is good...i'm not sure which one i'm suppose to be looking at..

Core slowdown threshold: 135c
GPU core temp: 54c
ambient temp: 39c

these are idle temps. Are they ok?

I have the zalman vf700-cu on it with ac5 thermal paste..

Artic Silencers are known to not seat completely against the core. There may be a little bit of space in between the heat sink and the core so the heat is not dissipating properly.

My Ablatron is oc'd at 400/1125 and runs idle at 54c and under load(FEAR) it hits 59c. This is stock cooling, and my ambient is 34c. I would agree that the cooler is not seated properly.

20Valver said:
Artic Silencers are known to not seat completely against the core. There may be a little bit of space in between the heat sink and the core so the heat is not dissipating properly.

Yeppers. QFT.

guys it's not only about the core temp :) the memory could be overheating.. and probably is..

aZn_plyR said:
guys it's not only about the core temp :) the memory could be overheating.. and probably is..

I bet somebody else's legs that the NV5 is not making full contact, get the zalman, very easy to install and the results are superb, and 95c is outrageous, esspecially for one card, these cards can take a ton of heat but 95 is very hot, thats a sign that something is amiss...get a zalman it sux that you must put more money down but it is totally worth it.

anthongy, your temps look fine what are they under load?

all this money for a 6800gt that couldn't run correctly :p should've went with an ultra if ya think about it :p LOL but anywas... yes get the zalman.. the memory contant is so plain and simple to install... only an idiot can't make contact with those sinks that sits right on the memory :p

Back