6800 GT Core Temp too high?

Clealiness

n00b
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
32
Does any know what the normal core temp is for a 6800 GT? Mine idles at 70-74 degrees celcius and can get up to 90+ when running demanding games. Is this normal?
 
Clealiness said:
Does any know what the normal core temp is for a 6800 GT? Mine idles at 70-74 degrees celcius and can get up to 90+ when running demanding games. Is this normal?
90 Celsius? Ouch...you have a problem.
 
check for dust.
my friends x800xl was running 106c+ when doing 3d. was idling at like 80c+
i took some canned air to it...
now its running in 70c+ during 3d load. and we o/ced it some 8)
 
Clealiness said:
Does any know what the normal core temp is for a 6800 GT? Mine idles at 70-74 degrees celcius and can get up to 90+ when running demanding games. Is this normal?

certainly not normal. is this the stock cooling solution?
as others have mentioned, check for dust, and otherwise check the contact between the heatsink and the core. try reseating the whole combo.
 
Honestly that seems only slightly above average to me on a 6800gt. My 6800gt ran just slightly cooler than that when it was new (70c/90c). I replaced the stock cooler with a vf700-cu and that dropped the temps to about 56c idle 70c load. When I sold it I put the stock cooler back on with some as 5 and the temps were over 5c lower than when the card was new.

Running it at those temps may cause it to die slightly sooner, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as its not artifacting, just leave it be and be glad you have a bfg.
 
Discostu2120 said:
Honestly that seems only slightly above average to me on a 6800gt. My 6800gt ran just slightly cooler than that when it was new (70c/90c). I replaced the stock cooler with a vf700-cu and that dropped the temps to about 56c idle 70c load. When I sold it I put the stock cooler back on with some as 5 and the temps were over 5c lower than when the card was new.

Running it at those temps may cause it to die slightly sooner, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as its not artifacting, just leave it be and be glad you have a bfg.

but thats just the issue: you have an almost 15C drop in your IDLE temps by replacing the stock solution. that means that something wasn't making proper contact. either way, I figure that by both clearing the thing of dust and reseating the HSF will get him far lower temps.
 
quadnad said:
but thats just the issue: you have an almost 15C drop in your IDLE temps by replacing the stock solution. that means that something wasn't making proper contact. either way, I figure that by both clearing the thing of dust and reseating the HSF will get him far lower temps.

Well, it's a new card. I've only had it for 3 weeks. I may replace the stock cooler with the NV5, but that brings up a whole different topic, ie. voiding the warranty.
 
Clealiness said:
Well, it's a new card. I've only had it for 3 weeks. I may replace the stock cooler with the NV5, but that brings up a whole different topic.

if you've only had it for 3 weeks, there can't be a significant amount of dust in there. have you checked to see if the fan is running properly?

if you're comfortable with doing it, I'd say go ahead and reseat the stock HSF. it's not a big deal, and it could save you an rma.
 
Just for referance I went back and checked the temps I recorded back in 2004 when I got my BFG Tech 6800GT OC. Now realize that BFG popped the stock heatsink off and replaced the stock thermal grease with Arctic Silver 5 netting on average a 6C temp drop. Also I had actually replaced the AS 5 with Shin Estu which got me a further 6C temp drop still using the stock cooling. Temp readings from below are with the Shin Estu on the core. Initial temp readings when I got it were around 84C load.

Stock

Idle Temps
Ambient Room: 76.5 F
Ambient Case: 89 F
Ambient Nvidia Sensor: 36 C
Core Nvidia Sensor: 53 C

Load Temps
Ambient Room 76.5 F
Ambient Case: 91 F
Ambient Nvidia Sensor: 51 C
Core Nvidia Sensor: 78 C

Your temps are not too far out of bounds from what I've seen posted with other 6800 GT's, hell, if I turned down my case fans I could push mine to 95 C pretty easily.

If it were me, I would spend $5 on some Arctic Silver 5 and replace the stock thermal grease and see how it goes. If your temps are still high, then think about aftermarket cooling. Zalman VF 700 AlCu is a good choice, and it's noticeably quieter than the stock hsf.

As for me, back when I got this card in 2004, I got it the second day they were available for sale, thus no aftermarket coolers were available till months later so I adapted a Zalman ZM80D-HP to fit on my card, pic ;)

GL with the new card, I know I've enjoyed and still enjoy it.
 
Sniper_Merc said:
Just for referance I went back and checked the temps I recorded back in 2004 when I got my BFG Tech 6800GT OC. Now realize that BFG popped the stock heatsink off and replaced the stock thermal grease with Arctic Silver 5 netting on average a 6C temp drop. Also I had actually replaced the AS 5 with Shin Estu which got me a further 6C temp drop still using the stock cooling. Temp readings from below are with the Shin Estu on the core. Initial temp readings when I got it were around 84C load.

Stock

Idle Temps
Ambient Room: 76.5 F
Ambient Case: 89 F
Ambient Nvidia Sensor: 36 C
Core Nvidia Sensor: 53 C

Load Temps
Ambient Room 76.5 F
Ambient Case: 91 F
Ambient Nvidia Sensor: 51 C
Core Nvidia Sensor: 78 C

Your temps are not too far out of bounds from what I've seen posted with other 6800 GT's, hell, if I turned down my case fans I could push mine to 95 C pretty easily.

If it were me, I would spend $5 on some Arctic Silver 5 and replace the stock thermal grease and see how it goes. If your temps are still high, then think about aftermarket cooling. Zalman VF 700 AlCu is a good choice, and it's noticeably quieter than the stock hsf.

As for me, back when I got this card in 2004, I got it the second day they were available for sale, thus no aftermarket coolers were available till months later so I adapted a Zalman ZM80D-HP to fit on my card, pic ;)

GL with the new card, I know I've enjoyed and still enjoy it.

Well, I installed the Arctic Cooling NV5 on my 6800. WOW! What an improvement! My idle temps are now from 70-75 celcius to 55-60. On full load my temps would get up to 90 or higher, but now only get up to 70. I scraped off the thermal paste that was on the heatsink and used Arctic Silver Ceramique. Once the grease is worked in hopefully, the temps will drop even more!
 
Back
Top