6800 GS or X800XL

tenpinsniper

Weaksauce
Background: Had a 6600 card that was overheating, NewEgg was awesome and refunded me the money since my card got discontinued or longer carried.

EVGA 6800 GS 256MB
or
ATI Radeon X800XL

Both are $199, the 6800GS has a $20 rebate. Circuit City has the ATI and does the 110% price match. So, thats pretty much a wash.

Which one is better? Leaning towards the 6800GS.
Games: Sims2, Nascar Sims Racing
Thinking about BF2 and Need for Speed...

Here is my Rig configuration:
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1 GB DDR400 Dual Channel
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum NF4
WD Raptor 74 GB/Seagate 200GB IDE
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Antec SP-500
Thermaltake Armor
DVD Burner, DVD-Rom and Floppy

Could not find anything that really answered this question right of the bat. So instead of looking and hoping all night.

Thanks

B

EDIT:
---If moneys frees up, I might try o/cing towards end of the year. This is not a deciding factor for me.---

--- Would consider other cards that come in at $200 bucks, as long I can pick it up locally. Those the best two I've seen. Options are: Circuit City, Best Buy, Comp USA or Microcenter. Most local computer shops are overpriced.---

x800 gto2 vivo, it is cheaper and much fater then the x800xl, its a full 16 pipe card, overclcock it like a beast and it will score better then an x850xtpe, because what do you know its the same thing.

I have the 6800 GS. I've been running 500 core, 1200 memory

I've had it for 2 months. It handles BF2 and NFS Most Wanted quite well. I can run NFS Most Wanted Full Settings.

DFI nF4 Ultra-D
AMD 64 3800+ (@ 2.4ghz, stock)
2x512 DDR 400 OCZ EL Gold
6800 GS

It works fine... It should last a long time. I haven't noticed a huge difference in performance but I like getting the best bang for my buck.

FWIW, I bought it when it FIRST came out, eVGA had a sale. Free CoD2 w/ 6800GS Purchase so really I only paid $149 for it. I upgraded from a 6600 GT (Paid $119 for it new from Best Buy and sold it 6 mos later for $100. :D)

Even if you don't plan on overclocking it. I've had the X800XL for about 7 months, and although it works great, in the games I play ( BF2, COD2 ) I have to turn dynamic lighting and shadows off to not have it crash. The ATI drivers still seem a little buggy in those two games.

And it has almost no overclocking headroom, whereas the 6800GS does, and even if you don't, the resale value will be higher because it can.
My 2 cents.

would be perfect for you it come 16 pipes out of the box, then if you choose to overclcok, you have a killer card, and its 179 to boot, i got mine to clock at 550/630 and it could play nethign i threw at it.

I have an XL and it runs all my games well at 1280x1024. I have no complaints.

most definitely the 6800gs, runs juss as fast as the x800xl but has SM3.0

Not a big deal with current videocards, I have Samsung 712N 17" LCD,so would need to run everything at 1280x1024.

I would consider other cards that come in at $200 bucks, as long I can pick it up locally. Those the best two I've noticed.

Options are: Circuit City, Best Buy, Comp USA or Microcenter. Most local computer shops are overpriced.

mmm.. i heard you could oc a 6800GS a bit higher than a GT and you've got Smart Shader 3.0 :-D always a plus on the better tech

6800GS if you want to make the card last for awhile otherwise if you are inbetween say like 4-6 months for a new card then go with the ati card and the unlocking and overclocks.

The 6800GS though out of box or even with coolbits 2 or rivatuner will be easier on you though and last longer probably.

EDIT: Oh if you get the eVGA version and it's PCIe you can step up in 3 months to a 7800GT and get even better performance and NO ati brand will do that. You can step up to a GT or GTX whatever you want not to mention if they release the 7900 soon you may have a new gen gt gs card around that will absolutely rock.

yup, same speed + Shader Model 3.0 > X800XL SM 2.0

you know that for sure?

please don't use this as a buying decision for these cards, especially these cards, people used it for the 6600's and now they are wondering where the SM3.0 came into play on how AWSOME IT IS, where all we are getting is :confused: :confused:

personally i didn't see that XT for 218, nothing even comes close to that for price vs performance, i'd hit that up before its gone

one thing to remember with the XT is, its a dual slot cooler, where as the GS/XL are singles (if that is a factor at all in your build)

Back