6700K OC in progress.. results

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Just picked up a 6700K as more as a side grade over my last setup. I mainly wanted the sabertooth board for cosmetics. So I went right for peak voltage 1.45V and 50 multi and it boots in and runs fine but wont pass OCCT. 4.8ghz @ 1.4V seems pretty solid still testing. I might try 4.9ghz but I want peak voltage at 1.45 and nothing more. Would 48x105 be an ok attempt? Or should I aim for 4.9 first and then start adjusting the base? Also peak temps at 1.4V were 61/57/57/56... Tried 4.9ghz @ 1.4V and failed.. trying 1.42V now.. 4.9x102 would get me to 5ghz as a different attempt to hit it vs 50 multi.

Last edited:
4.8GHz is a pretty good overclock better than most. Personally, I'm keeping my voltages low with a conservative overclock for now. With my AMD rig I contacted the MB manufacturer for advice on max voltages and used that as my ceiling.

Be sure to adjust LLC and be wary of vdroop when OC'ing. I had to set mine to high to get things stable. vdroop is your worst enemy. I'm sure you already know that.

4.8GHz is a pretty good overclock better than most. Personally, I'm keeping my voltages low with a conservative overclock for now. With my AMD rig I contacted the MB manufacturer for advice on max voltages and used that as my ceiling.

Be sure to adjust LLC and be wary of vdroop when OC'ing. I had to set mine to high to get things stable. vdroop is your worst enemy. I'm sure you already know that.

Yeah, I have been overclocking for 15+ years. Every time I get into a new chipset I reach out to the community to see what has changed and what the limitations are. Right now the system has been 100% solid and I still have not done a proper stress test to verify it's stability just a couple hours of OCCT. I will put it through much more when I have time to let it run for many hours and be able to watch it.

Be careful with LLC though, vdroop is safe and removing it completely can blow shit up. Are those clocks with the igpu enabled btw?

Be careful with LLC though, vdroop is safe and removing it completely can blow shit up. Are those clocks with the igpu enabled btw?

I did not touch LLC and I watch the voltage.. with manual voltage it never moves off target.. with adaptive it will spike some but not much. I do not use the iGPU just the 980ti. Seems like a decent chip.. 1.45V manual I was playing around on desktop at 5ghz. What is the latest testing software for this chip these days? I normally use Intel Burn in and 8 hours of OCCT. With this I have never had a CPU do anything other than be 100% stable while gaming or encoding/converting etc.

I did not touch LLC and I watch the voltage.. with manual voltage it never moves off target.. with adaptive it will spike some but not much. I do not use the iGPU just the 980ti. Seems like a decent chip.. 1.45V manual I was playing around on desktop at 5ghz. What is the latest testing software for this chip these days? I normally use Intel Burn in and 8 hours of OCCT. With this I have never had a CPU do anything other than be 100% stable while gaming or encoding/converting etc.

Voltage has to move, as it is used up under load. If yours doesn't move which is not likely, then it means the LLC is already set to a value proportionate to your load and droop. Anyways, post up some validations then we can get a clearer image of your cpu.

With manual votlage its pretty steady.. the fluctuation is very minimal as I would hope it should be (I understand LLC will steady this). When I say never moves off target I meant I'm not getting crazy Vdroop which I experienced years back with other chips. Adaptive and offset will of course move around much more depending on load. I never messed with LLC because I didn't see a reason to with this setup. Maybe it's set to an auto option and already making changes that appear to work. What validations do you want me to provide? I am at work but when I get home I will get some screen shots.. maybe we can get this thing dialed in 100%.

Ideally, after you get your manual voltage target set you then switch to adaptive. There's not much point to manual unless you are benching. If you want help post your voltages under load ala prime with aida 64 sensor read out etc.

Ideally, after you get your manual voltage target set you then switch to adaptive. There's not much point to manual unless you are benching. If you want help post your voltages under load ala prime with aida 64 sensor read out etc.

I always lock in my OC with manual voltage and then switch to adaptive (which can be a pain because it over volts). I don't mess with Prime much after the issue where certain versions were overheating chips and I can never remember which versions were safe. OCCT has a Sensor readout and I think I have AIDA 64 still. I will get you all this soon as I get home as well as a CPUZ screen shot.

Also, memory speeds can have a major affect on overclocks, lower mem speeds = easy oc whereas high mem speed = hard to oc. I can bench at 4.9ghz at 3733mhz ram but run 4.6-4.7 at 3733mhz ram speed daily.

Also, memory speeds can have a major affect on overclocks, lower mem speeds = easy oc whereas high mem speed = hard to oc. I can bench at 4.9ghz at 3733mhz ram but run 4.6-4.7 at 3733mhz ram speed daily.

2400mhz Ram.. nothing crazy. I ran the test only for 6 minutes and temps leveled out low low 60's.. I can run it all night like this it wont ever go up in temps. Ram took some weird jumps in temps but I think its bogus.. it was room temp to the touch.. very cool. I know at 1.35V it will fail OCCT.. 1.38V seems to be stable but I need to run it longer to see.. I might get it stable below that. And I am just going off bios settings for these numbers not actual reported numbers. So it appears to be hitting 1.392 for most of the time.. it will bump 1.4 once in a while.

Last edited:
Lol, I think you're kind of late to the game which is why you're not getting much feedback in this thread. If it was a year ago, there would be lots of ppl in the same boat providing feedback on their experiences.

But that's a nice OC you got there with good temps! On P95 my temps get as high as 72 on one of the cores while the other 3 sit in 50s-60s.

I've been curious about AIDA64 as I've never used it. I've always ran P95 but is AIDA64 just as good for testing stability? Pros and Cons?

I was trying to avoid the skylake jump for a while but when I saw that White Sabertooth mobo that fits my combo so well I gave in lol. PC hasn't given me a single issue at 4.8ghz. Put it through AIDA64 and OCCT no problems so I am calling it stable. Already setup the adaptive voltage and it appears to be solid as can be. I am very happy I got a good chip this go around. My 4790K would do 4.8ghz but it took more voltge and ran hotter even naked it was hotter than this one by a few degrees.

I can't really tell you which stability test is better than the other. Most like to run a few different ones and then call it good. That is pretty much what I do.

Reactions: psy81
like this
Back