670 Fan Curve

caligrown

n00b
First PC I've ever built, specs in sig.

I'm not planning on overclocking just yet, as I am still doing my research on how to do so safely (mainly using this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide, open to suggestions of other informative OC guides!)

However, I've noticed that my reference EVGA 670 runs quite hot at full load (right around 80c), and I know that the card throttles at 70c and then again at 80c. The stock fan speed setup maxes out at 40-45%.

So my question is, what is a good fan curve profile I should set with Precision X to try to keep temps down and avoid throttling? Or, is it even necessary to change the fan curve if I'm currently only running the card on stock settings?

As this is the first desktop I've ever owned and want to treat it right, your answers are much appreciated.

This is what i use for my 3 670 ftw maxes out at 65 http://i.imgur.com/0AVxO.jpg its loud but i use headphones so don't hear it anyways.

Thanks alot!

Setting a more aggressive fan profile doesn't shorten the life of the gpu fan drastically, does it?

I heard somewhere that changing fan profiles voids warranties, true?:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks alot!

Setting a more aggressive fan profile doesn't shorten the life of the gpu fan drastically, does it?

Not at all. Otherwise they wouldn't package the software with the card.

This is why I would never buy a reference based card again, its just inferior to those with souped up cooling, ie, models from MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc, with heat pipes, dual/tri fans. Shame that Evga arent more creative with their cooling designs.

Thanks alot!

It'll wear out the fan quicker (relatively quicker that is) but as long as you are only using software to adjust the card and not modding the BIOS you'll be fine with the warranty.

lol, what? I guess overclocking and overvolting would never have long term effects either as long as the software comes with a card? :rolleyes:

Actually, if you go over to EVGA's forums, they encourage you to overclock your cards and will back your warranty. However, you may need to register your card first (not sure on this). Then, you must use their software and don't unlock the voltages in BIOS. If anything goes wrong from OC'ing, they'll support you. So, uh, yeah, you roll those eyes.

Anyway, he inquired about fan profiles voiding a warranty. If he's asking about fan curve profiles, then I doubt he's evolved to dabbling with voltages yet. Not sure what you're on about.

Last edited:
Set up a custom fan curve, and make sure you check AUTO after you are done in Precision X.

Before, I never checked Auto so it would just run @ a specified speed regardless.

Most of the 600 series cards do not have aggresive fan curves at all. I would highly recommend setting one up! Also adding a few extra fans in the case (if you have room) is always a good idea too! :D

Back